Maschine+ vs Maschine MK3 (when using both connected to a Laptop)

Options
mashedkr
mashedkr Member Posts: 4 Newcomer
edited December 2023 in Maschine

Hey guys!

Im planning on buying a Maschine and was wondering if the maschine+ have any advantages/extra functions compared to the maschine mk3 if you'd use both connected to a laptop? Or is the standalone mode - especially looking at DJing - so outstanding it'd be worth buying the maschine+ even tho im planning on using it connected to a computer most of the time?

Thank you!!

Comments

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,884 mod
    edited December 2023
    Options

No, it does not have any advantage.

Whether M+ standalone is suited for your specific DJing needs is impossible to guess, overall is not a device with that in mind at all, but again, it depends on what you want to do.

There are some tiny disadvantages actually, like not being able to turn it off if it's plugged into the computer via USB, the MK3 has a physical power button while the M+ does not.

• Vic Angelo
    Vic Angelo Member Posts: 110 Advisor
    Options

Mk3 and M+ are identical when attached to a Computer...

As for DJ'ing, get the M+. It can be used as an external FX unit or as an external Drum maschine (similar to Pioneer RMX-1000, but waaaay more advanced, and most DJ software can use with "Link" function for very very tight sync)

• mashedkr
    Options

If I used an MK3 with a Computer, then link it to the DJ software, it should be the same no?

• PK The DJ
    PK The DJ Member Posts: 1,154 Guru
    Options

Similar maybe, not the same.

With a standalone M+ the advantage is that it's running independently, with its own CPU and onboard storage.

OTOH the MK3 controller requires you to run Maschine software alongside the DJ software, sharing the CPU and storage space.

All those Maschine samples and plugins eating up the precious hard drive space you need for your music.

The standalone M+ is also very solidly built in comparison to the MK3 controller.

• darkwaves
    darkwaves Member Posts: 342 Guru
    Options

With a standalone M+ the advantage is that it's running independently, with its own CPU and onboard storage.

With a standalone M+ the disadvantage is that it's running with its own CPU and onboard storage :)

• D-One
    edited December 2023
    Options

Exactly, if the computer is fast enough then loading projects is much faster, can handle way more things (loops, kits groups, fx, etc...) not only in terms of quantity but also in diversity since you can use any plugins you want, it can run inside a DAW if you ever need fancier things or multiple instances, etc, etc... A modern NVME SSD is incomparable to a slow USB2 SD Card, it's like 30x faster... These are all considerations.

With a decent enough computer an M+ in Standalone Mode can actually be a disadvantage in every possible way at double the price.

To get proper advice it might be better to explain roughly what you want to be able to do.

Yes. It will always have to Link to the DJ software, both for the MK3 or M+ Standalone or Controller Mode.

Note: I never tried wifi LINK in a messy live venue environment, with an M+ in Standalone i'd probably avoid it and use an ethernet adaptor or something.

• PK The DJ
    Options

IMO when using a computer for DJing, the fewer things you've got running, the better. You don't want the computer to be doing other things in the background or at the same time. Just to be on the safe side.

So "handling way more things", using CPU hungry plugins etc. is fine if you're just using Maschine - but doing that at the same time as DJing when you want things to go smoothly?

Consider that the DJ equipment used by big name world famous DJs is generally standalone - for a reason.

• mashedkr
    edited December 2023
    Options

So the software Maschine+ uses in standalone mode is actually the same software (maschine 2, right?) that you'd use on your pc with an mk3 ? That'd mean an M+ in standalone is the same as an MK3 connected to a computer? Im planning on buying a Laptop either way, but am still wondering if an M+, when not connected to a computer, has an advantage over an mk3 connected to a computer...

Thank yall so much! You guys are so helpful!!

• D-One
    edited December 2023
    Options

Yes. Exactly the same.

The M+ is pretty much an MK3 with a computer inside which you can use (standalone) or bypass (controller mode attached to a computer)

• mashedkr
    Options

I have been producing for quite some years. Still at the beginning of DJing tho so i kind of just want to explore djing. Been consering buying a Maschine for some years now, especially since ive discoverd fred again. Think he uses an M+ most of the time, thats why im wondering if id miss out on anything he does on an M+, if I have an mk3... But i guess if theyre the same with a laptop ill go with the mk3. Big thanks!

• PK The DJ
    Options

IMO the M+ is more versatile, as you can use it standalone or as a controller, whereas the MK3 is just a controller. The M+ is more rugged, so better suited for life on the road - and you can use it with a battery pack too for a self contained music making Maschine.

The price has dropped since I bought mine, and now's a good time to grab one as it's bundled with 12 expansions.

• D-One
    edited December 2023
    Options

Oh, Fred has a finger drumming style of performance, meaning lots of sliced samples so it's CPU efficient projects from what I can tell. I do the same.

You will be fine with either but if money is not a problem the M+ does give you more options, as in, it can be an Mk3 or a Standalone like PK said, but that's it... no extra functions.

Indeed it can be a problem, depending on the computer.

This started to be an issue for me with my old laptop, Maschine (mk3) + DJing started to push it too much... But this was a dual-core CPU; now with a 900$ MacBook Air M1 (passively cooled) I can run Serato, Maschine, Ableton, and have my browser open all at the same time no problem and still have spare CPU usage, it's as powerful as like 10 M+'s with it's atom processor. 🤣

No one in their right mind would use CPU-hungry plugins live tho...

• PK The DJ
    Options

Just found this comparison video on YouTube:

There are a few other similar comparison videos too.

• tetsuneko
    tetsuneko Member Posts: 610 Guru
    edited December 2023
    Options

Maschine+ offers more robust encoders, but other than that, there is physically no difference to them.

Also good to remember that Maschine+ running in standalone cannot do any of the Maschine desktop app functions which rely on mouse and the computer sceen (such as remapping MIDI controls, easy programming of MIDI program change messages, tagging user content, graphical automation editing..). External audio interface performance is also more reliable when using a computer vs M+ standalone, at least for now (due to how linux kernel handles Class Compliant audio devices)

I dont see much point in going with Maschine+ unless you want to be using it also as a standalone instrument (for whatever reason). The price difference is pretty significant.

• PK The DJ
    Options

other than that, there is physically no difference

Not true. The Plus has aluminium top and base plates.