Is it possible to use Maschine MK3 and Maschine Jam Stripe to Scratch like a DJ?

Options
jcp_13
jcp_13 Member Posts: 9 Member

Hi all,

I just got my Maschine MK3 and Maschine Jam, and I wanted to know how I can use the Smart Strip to Scratch like a DJ for live and recording sessions?

Of course, I would like the most simplest approach ;)

Thanks.

Comments

• Jiglo
    Jiglo Member Posts: 154 Advisor
    edited December 2023
    Options

You're never going to be able to scratch like a turntablist DJ with just a touch strip. You need a gate of some form to control the tight fader style cuts (effectively acting like an on and off switch) and a ridiculous amount of practice to control the movement on the surface.

Ideally anyway. I've tried tapping the control surface at various point with scratch samples and I can't get anywhere near close to sounding proficient.

• Max Trau
    Max Trau Member Posts: 35 Member
    edited December 2023
    Options

you can use Perform FX to approach that kind of things, but you wont land anywhere near what a real turntablist can do with a proper deck and some skills

It's in the Maschine + manual, but works exactly the same with MK3 and Jam

• HugoClubs
    HugoClubs Member Posts: 51 Member
    Options

That will require a lot of practice.

But it seems there is an easy way if you want to simulate scratching sounds by using scratching samples and pitch modulation:

(can’t post link, so here is a print screen for you to find it)

• Jiglo
    Options

Sick, I take it all back and thanks for the video link 😎

The best scratching i've seen on any touchstrip and something I need to practice more now I know it's achievable.

• Jiglo
    edited December 2023
    Options

Nice find HugoClubs! ...and posted 9 years ago too. So that's at least 2 ways. I've watched a few how to scratch on a controller videos, using Ableton and VSTs etc that are so jarring to listen to because the faux scratching is so bad, but I guess the Maschine community do it better 😎

• jcp_13
    Options

Thank you for the beautiful feedback, everyone. I love the fact that the community responded so quickly. Much love!

@Murat Kayiyour video gave me so much hope, so I searched and found this clip by beatsbypp3551. It sounds pretty sick to me. Because I am new to the platform, I can't post links. So go to YouTube and search for "Scratching using Maschine MK3 on 90s Hip Hop type Beat"

I'm not looking to be an expert at scratching (it would be great if I could) but to add flavor to my live performances. I'll ask if he can do a quick tutorial and post it here if he does. Or, if I figure it out, I'll do my own and share it with you all.

Peace and Love.

• Jiglo
    Options

I'll look it up shortly as this topic really interests me too.

A 3rd way, pointed out by djadidai elsewhere, is the Scratchmaster preset in Massive for some chirp style scratches, albeit with a synthesized sound, but maybe used sparingly with the right kinda music it could work for you.

• jcp_13
    Options

Thank you @Jiglo for pointing this out, I'll check it out 😉

• djadidai
    djadidai Member Posts: 393 Pro
    Options

I prolly wrote that in the wrong topic hahaha a few beers and some kids disturbing your thoughts and that’s what you get hahaha

• tetsuneko
    tetsuneko Member Posts: 609 Guru
    edited December 2023
    Options

Well, that almost sounded like scratching.. its pretty far removed from what a turntablist can do with vinyl though

But hey, if that's what you feel like will push your performances to the next level, go for it

I wonder if you could hook up deckadance to run in Maschine.. it has that fancy shmancy scratch sequencer feature

• jcp_13
    Options

@tetsuneko Yeah, it will be a while before the touch stripe can get to what turntablist can do, or never. I am sure there must be a way to hook up deckadance or something like that, and use the samples from the Maschine groups to scratch. The possibility is endless, just have to figure out what works for the level you want 😀

• jcp_13
    Options

@djadidai No worries, I have kids too, so I know how that goes 🤣

• tetsuneko
    Options
  • tetsuneko
    Options

Oh man, that 10-year old would kick my ass LMAO

Nice to see the next generation still cutting without DVS