Spotlight Collection for Ireland - Uilleann Pipes question

Martin.dean
Martin.dean Member Posts: 3 Newcomer

The new IRELAND library has an excellent Pipes instrument. Does anyone know how to record the DRONES please?

The DRONES are activated using the F#6 key, which is not much help if you want to play with both hands. Then I discovered that the drones can be 'switched on' in the interface.

Now I discover that although the DAW (Logic) can 'hear' the drone (there is activity on the VU meter for the track), it does not record the drones.

I managed to find the manual for this library and would ask if anyone can direct this post to Louise Mulcahy, who is credited for the Uilleann pipes instrument. Unless I am just missing something??

Best Answer

• Nicki_NI
    Nicki_NI Product Team Posts: 39 mod
    Answer ✓

There are two ways of triggering and thus recording the drones in the Uilleann Pipes.

First by playing F#6 as you mentioned, this usually works best when editing MIDI sequences in your DAW.

Secondly by pressing the Drones Play button. The button is automated and pressing it will record its state in the DAW as automation data (if automation is enabled). The button is also mapped to the default controller page of the mk1/2/3 keyboards and can be accessed from there.

You can also right-click the button and assign a MIDI controller, see attached screenshot. We can think of adding an option for the sustain pedal to trigger the drones in a future update, I'll make a note of it.

Hope this helps,

nicki

Answers

• PoorFellow
    PoorFellow Moderator Posts: 4,157 mod

@Jeremy_NI , unless I am much mistaken then this is something that require your insight !?

• Nicki_NI
    Answer ✓

There are two ways of triggering and thus recording the drones in the Uilleann Pipes.

First by playing F#6 as you mentioned, this usually works best when editing MIDI sequences in your DAW.

Secondly by pressing the Drones Play button. The button is automated and pressing it will record its state in the DAW as automation data (if automation is enabled). The button is also mapped to the default controller page of the mk1/2/3 keyboards and can be accessed from there.

You can also right-click the button and assign a MIDI controller, see attached screenshot. We can think of adding an option for the sustain pedal to trigger the drones in a future update, I'll make a note of it.

Hope this helps,

nicki

• Kymeia
    Kymeia NKS User Library Mod Posts: 4,628 mod

Please don’t - I would like to be able to use my sustain pedal for sustain - just leave it as assignable and let the user decide. NI seem to have annoying habit of hijacking basic MIDI messages for their own uses which takes them away from musicians to use them as they are intended to be used - Fables and Lore both do this with MW and Maschine with aftertouch.

• Nicki_NI

You'll of course still be able to do just that. The sustain pedal in this instrument is already routed to "Sustain" (see attached screenshot) and this will not change. Adding another destination for CC64 will not interfere with any workflow as it's up to the user make the decision.

This discussion has been closed.