Why is KK and K7 w/S61MK3 persistently crashing standalone and in three DAWs?
I have an open ticket with logs and while I wait for a response I'm keen to see if anyone has cracked this. I read one post about these crashes in Logic that was marked as answered, but it is not resolved.
I'm a first-time user and unfortunately had Sonoma installed when my S61 MK3 arrived. Kontakt 7/Komplete Kontrol started crashing out of the box in standalone, Ableton, Cubase and Logic, so it's hard for me to isolate what specific upgrade or change is driving this. I am providing detail here in case it helps get to the root cause (i.e. if it's a Sonoma issue) or others have the same problem.
Behaviour: KK crashes in stand-alone mode during use in a way that is difficult to reproduce, typically though not exclusively when switching instruments/presets within instruments. K7 loads, but crashes the whole application immediately in Logic when trying to load certain instruments and crashes the whole application during use for instruments that do load. This affects single instruments and multis and the split of what will and won't load can be inconsistent on re-challenge.
First-load of instruments has a higher success rate in K7 in Cubase 12 and Ableton Live 11 (including those that crash in Logic instantly), however, K7 will crash both applications persistently during use in a way that is difficult to reproduce but often though not exclusively caused by loading a new instrument or changing a preset within a loaded instrument. Previews also do not play for several NKS instruments on S61 when browsing K7 in DAW which may be related. Crash logs show K7 has also crashed AUHostingServiceXPC_arrow and com.apple.audio.InfoHelper on at least one occasion each.
I have not otherwise experienced crashes in any DAWs or other programs except for with K7/KK.
Diagnostic Logging: all crash logs point to similar memory errors: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEV), EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGBUS), EXC_BREAKPOINT (SIGTRAP), EXC_CRASH (SIGABRT). Summary of a sample of logs attached with specific references:
Hardware: MacBook Pro M1 Max 64GB (Sonoma 14.1.1 and 14.1.2). Komplete Kontrol MKIII S61 (latest firmware). Samsung T7 (latest firmware + Samsung Magician). Audient ID4 (latest firmware). Full hardware diagnostics on M1/T7 reveal no faults/issues.
Software: Komplete Kontrol 3.0.3, Kontakt 7.7.2, Logic Pro 10.7.9 (trial), Cubase 188.8.131.52 (March 2023 - Silicon), Ableton Live Suite (11.3.13 - Silicon). All software genuine.
Libraries: all saved on external Samsung T7. Komplete Ultimate 14 (all up-to-date in NI), almost all EW libraries, Waves cloud instruments, Output Exhale, handful of Sound Iron libraries. All libraries genuine.
Troubleshooting steps taken to-date: All NI applications/DAWs have full folder access. Versions in stand-alone match DAW versions. I have reinitialised the Kontakt database. I have deleted my user preferences. I have reinstalled Komplete Kontrol and Kontakt 7. I have cleanly re-installed Logic including deleting the Logic cs and other preferences file. I have tried shifting libraries to my internal Mac SSD. I've tried closing almost all other processes and followed all the applicable Mac optimisation steps outlined on this site.
- All Categories
- 21 Welcome
- 2.1K Hangout
- 84 NI News
- 1.4K Tech Talks
- 2.3K Native Access
- 13.2K Komplete
- 1.3K Komplete General
- 2.8K Komplete Kontrol
- 3.7K Kontakt
- 3.5K Reaktor
- 325 Battery 4
- 594 Guitar Rig & FX
- 316 Massive X & Synths
- 689 Other Software & Hardware
- 3.9K Maschine
- 4.8K Traktor
- 4.5K Traktor Software & Hardware
- Check out everything you can do
- Create an account
- See member benefits
- Answer questions
- Ask the community
- See product news
- Connect with creators