Does Maschine 2.17.4 work on OSX 14.0 Sonoma ? Audio interfaces (internal and external) unusable

Options
Warempel
Warempel Member Posts: 20 Member

Hi,

I am running the above Maschine version on Sonoma with a Maschine Mk3 and am unable to get audio input to work:

• aggregate audio interfaces seem invisible for the Maschine (and Komplete) but this was maybe a known bug?
  • the audio coming in on the first physical slot of an external audio interface is received on all Maschine audio inputs
  • the audio from the mic input on the Mk3 is garbled and distorted and is received on both Mk3 inputs in the SW

My external audio interface is a Behringer flow8 mixer which works perfectly with Ableton, Logic, Audacity...

I have reinstalled Maschine but this makes no difference.

NI seems to have stopped corrective maintenance on the SW some time ago, perhaps a sign they are abandoning the Maschine platform, as the new keyboards also indicate. So I assume this problem will not be fixed by an update any more.

Does anyone have any suggested fix/workaround?

I love the Maschine Mk3 workflow but if I can't record Audio, I will be forced to switch to Akai Force or (horror!) Ableton sooner than I had planned.

Best Answer

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,884 mod
    edited November 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

No problem, I feel your pain, seriously.

Yes, it's a Maschine specific issue, I did not mean to imply otherwise. Ableton is a modern DAW; Maschine is neither a DAW nor modern.

NI has tons of products, Ableton has 3 - Not an excuse tho... NI chooses to have more products than they seem to be able to handle, that's on them and (IMO) a major flaw within the company.

in the end I need to decide where I spend my cash based on evidence.

There has been no significant investment into the Maschine platform for a few years now

On the other hand I don’t feel comfortable creating material on a platform whose vendor doesn’t consider it a priority, so I will start to move my work elsewhere…

Indeed, I agree. I've also moved on for the most part, If you've been unhappy for a long time then do the same and use something else as well. Good luck on your journey.

I am glad to hear that you believe Maschine will be supported in the future

No reason to believe otherwise, I've seen 13 years of MacOS updates supported a few months after release, some updates are more problematic than others though, this is not news unless you update only once per decade or are new to Apple/NI.

Unless NI goes bankrupt and abruptly shuts down Sonoma's support is coming and the oldest officially supported MacOS version gets dropped, the rule of thumb is they support 3 versions down.

Answers

• D-One
    edited November 2023
    Options

Sonoma is not officially supported yet, it has issues.

https://support.native-instruments.com/hc/en-us/articles/13671802084765-macOS-14-Sonoma-Compatibility-Statement

aggregate audio interfaces seem invisible for the Maschine (and Komplete) but this was maybe a known bug?

It's known here in the forum, not sure if it's logged officially but probablyyy...? Maybe @Jeremy_NI can confirm.

https://community.native-instruments.com/discussion/comment/108201#Comment_108201

NI seems to have stopped corrective maintenance on the SW some time ago, perhaps a sign they are abandoning the Maschine platform, as the new keyboards also indicate. So I assume this problem will not be fixed by an update any more.

No, just no... It will definitely be fixed eventually, when there is official Sonoma support.

Updates have been super slow and it has been unbelievably frustrating, but the whole world takes time to adapt to new MacOS releases, this has always been the case for all SW companies not just NI, kind of important not to confuse the two.

There is no known fix that I am aware, the advice for now is to not update to an unsupported MacOS version yet, this is info that any MacOS user should be aware as it has always been this way.

• Warempel
    Warempel Member Posts: 20 Member
    edited November 2023
    Options

Thanks for your response.

It’s quite disappointing that NI are unable to keep one of their main products (Maschine) compatible with OSX. Other vendors seem more capable (Ableton). The issue with the Audio inputs is also not related to HW, but to the Maschine SW. So it is the Maschine SW that doesn’t work on Sonoma.

I am glad to hear that you believe Maschine will be supported in the future, but in the end I need to decide where I spend my cash based on evidence. There has been no significant investment into the Maschine platform for a few years now, and NI apparently isn’t willing or able to keep up with a normal OS update. That’s a big concern for me.

Every business decides where to put its resources based on its business strategy and my conclusion is that while there seems to be money/resource for a new generation of keyboards (where the Maschine support has been removed), there is no money/resource to simply keep Maschine working, let alone new features or bug fixes.

So my conclusion is that Maschine is at best a very low priority for NI. NI is obviously entitled to consider it such, and it may be a good business decision for NI.

On the other hand I don’t feel comfortable creating material on a platform whose vendor doesn’t consider it a priority, so I will start to move my work elsewhere…

• D-One
    edited November 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

No problem, I feel your pain, seriously.

Yes, it's a Maschine specific issue, I did not mean to imply otherwise. Ableton is a modern DAW; Maschine is neither a DAW nor modern.

NI has tons of products, Ableton has 3 - Not an excuse tho... NI chooses to have more products than they seem to be able to handle, that's on them and (IMO) a major flaw within the company.

in the end I need to decide where I spend my cash based on evidence.

There has been no significant investment into the Maschine platform for a few years now

Indeed, I agree. I've also moved on for the most part, If you've been unhappy for a long time then do the same and use something else as well. Good luck on your journey.

I am glad to hear that you believe Maschine will be supported in the future

No reason to believe otherwise, I've seen 13 years of MacOS updates supported a few months after release, some updates are more problematic than others though, this is not news unless you update only once per decade or are new to Apple/NI.

Unless NI goes bankrupt and abruptly shuts down Sonoma's support is coming and the oldest officially supported MacOS version gets dropped, the rule of thumb is they support 3 versions down.