Migrate Old Reaper Project with Kontakt 5 & 6 to Kontakt7

Options
Stroud.y
Stroud.y Member Posts: 5 Newcomer
edited November 2023 in Kontakt

Reaper is automatically migrating Komplete Kontrol tracks from vers 2 to 3 with old projects.

However, I can't get tracks with kontakt 5 or 6 to load kontakt 7. I've removed the old plugins and so projects are loading with the instrument missing i.e. it's not auto migrating.

Any thoughts how I might achieve this?

Does it matter if it's Kontakt 7 player? My previous versions were Full. Regardless.... neither VST Kontakt 6 or VST3 kontakt 6 will migrate.

Also, I can't get kontakt VST to migrate to VST3. I've removed the VST, and only have the VST3, but it doesn't load.

Comments

• Stroud.y
    Options

I've read this but it's of no help.

Also, I'm on a mac and using Reaper

• Neo110
    Neo110 Member Posts: 10 Member
    Options

I second this, we really need a solution here. Official Kontakt 7 FAQ states "the host will automatically replace all instances of the older KONTAKT version with the KONTAKT 7 VST3 plug-in when loading a project" if K7 is available and K6 is not. I have K6 full and intended to use only that version for the future, but NI have stealthily removed compatibility from some libraries what were supposed to work with K6 (even though I did NOT update the libs to the non-backwards-compatible versions). Now I have an entire score's worth of sessions (Reaper) that can't be recalled. I tried Installing K7 player and removing K6 vst3, but the plugins did not migrate. So the FAQ is wrong. NI need to update K6 with the compatibility for all libraries they released while K6 was the latest.

• EvilDragon
    EvilDragon Moderator Posts: 1,023 mod
    Options

Reaper's plugin migration capability is not fully there yet. Kontakt instances won't be properly migrated unfortunately. Raise it with Cockos support!

• EvilDragon
    Options

The host needs to support the VST3 migration capability. Currently the only hosts which do this properly are: Cubase, Nuendo, Maschine, Komplete Kontrol. And for AU, Logic Pro. No other hosts do it properly.

• Stroud.y
    Options

Thanks E.D. I'm a regular on the Cockos forums - what sub-forum do you think is most likely to be seen and read by Justin and Schwa?

I do find it odd that komplete Kontol works though. Weird

• EvilDragon
    Options

KK migrates Kontakt instances internally if you have the option "Use latest versions of NI plugins" enabled, which I think it is by default.

One thing you could do is open the RPP in text editor rename "Kontakt.dll" to "Kontakt 7.vst3" and see how that goes.

• Stroud.y
    edited November 2023
    Options

Thanks E.D

I've tried replacing...

<VST "VSTi: Kontakt (Native Instruments GmbH) (64 out)" Kontakt.vst 0 "" 1315513412<5653544E6924446B6F6E74616B747838> ""

With...

<VST "VST3i: Kontakt (Native Instruments) (64 out)" Kontakt.vst3 0 "" 821777587{5653544E6924446B6F6E74616B740000} ""

Kontakt settings aren't retained. A blank kontakt is loaded.

The only migration that works with the above technique is from Kontakt 6.VST3 to Kontakt 7.VST3

There is no migration possibility with VST to VST3

I'm going to have to go the long way around, and it sucks

• EvilDragon
    Options

Yep, bring it up with Cockos so that they implement VST2 to VST3 migration properly! I've been saying this for months on the Reaper forum but to no avail.

• Stroud.y
    Options

Where have you posted ED? I can find any of your posts on the topic