How can I get my Kontakt 7 instruments to load in old cubase projects using Kontakt5?

Options
JohnIJones
JohnIJones Member Posts: 10 Member

I tried to open an old cubase project that used Kontakt 5, but because some of the instruments have since been updated to work in kontakt 7, I think that is the reason why Kontakt is not finding them.

So now I have to load hundreds of instruments that were previously loaded in kontakt 5 into kontakt 7. Its going to take days because I have to do it for over 10 old projects.

Is there a quick solution?

Best Answer

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,965 mod
    Answer ✓
    Options

@JohnIJones Cubase allows migration from older Kontakt libraries in Kontakt 7, without you doing anything. For this automatic migration to happen, all you need to do is to remove the Kontakt 5 and Kontakt 6 dll file from your Cubase VST and VST3 folders and leave only Kontakt 7.

Answers

• Jeremy_NI
    Answer ✓
    Options

@JohnIJones Cubase allows migration from older Kontakt libraries in Kontakt 7, without you doing anything. For this automatic migration to happen, all you need to do is to remove the Kontakt 5 and Kontakt 6 dll file from your Cubase VST and VST3 folders and leave only Kontakt 7.

• JohnIJones
    Options

Thanks for that. THis is important info. But I don't know the real-time mechanics of doing it without using guesswork. If I make a mistake I might get ravelled up in my own computer spaghetti.

Can you give a link about this please?

• Jeremy_NI
    Options

We don't have a knowledge base article about that, I will ask for that. In the meantime it should not be so complicated or risky. Simply make a copy of the Kontakt 5.dll and Kontakt.dll (Kontakt 6 = Kontakt, that can be confusing) from the vst folders selected in Cubase, only leave the Kontakt 7 vst3 file there. Copy these files in a folder, like on your desktop for example. Delete the files from the Cubase VST folders, open your projects. This way you can give it a try and go back if needed as you have these files as backup.

• Jeremy_NI
    Options

@JohnIJones It's not guess work, this is how the migration of older Kontakt instances to Kontakt 7 works in Cubase. I've asked numerous times to the Kontakt team and @EvilDragon can confirm.

• JohnIJones
    edited August 2023
    Options

Hi.

I deleted a Kontakt 5. file from C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3 so there is only Kontakt 7.vst3 there. (This is where Steinberg says its vst files are. But I cannot remember if the kontakt 5 I deleted was vst2 or vst 3. I read somewhere that there is no kontakt 5.vst3).

I tried it on a different old project (about 3 years old) and it has not worked as I still get the libraries 'not found' sign for many of the instruments, even though they are visible in the library tab and can be loaded in kontakt 7. Some kontakt 5 rack instruments are completely empty of instruments.

But I can't see how getting rid of the kontakt 5 file would work anyway as the instruments were loaded in kontakt 5, not kontakt 7.

I don't know why it says libraries are not found. The installation paths are the same for all my libraries.

At the moment the only thing that works is reloading a hundred instruments or more in kontakt 7. It will take a long time as I have many old projects.

I don't know how this problem arose. They used to load. Maybe it was because Cinesamples updated some of their instruments to work in kontakt 7. Or I did something that I shouldn't have.

• Jeremy_NI
    Options

@JohnIJones Kontakt 5 is vst2 only, check your VST plugin folders in Cubase, there might be duplicates of Kontakt 5 dlls in there. This can be a reminder: Plug-in Administration in Cubase 9 (and higher)

Make sure there are no Kontakt.dll as well.

But I can't see how getting rid of the kontakt 5 file would work anyway as the instruments were loaded in kontakt 5, not kontakt 7.

That's the principle of the migration feature and that's how it works. There should be only Kontakt 7 in your VST3 folder and no other Kontakt plugin files in any other VST plugin folder set in Cubase.