Answers

• KarlKaos
    KarlKaos Member Posts: 34 Member
    Options

No, not really. Only recalling old sessions been a problem

• thirdeyem
    thirdeyem Member Posts: 16 Member
    Options

Thx for the feedback. I'm having both of those problems. won't recall or load

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,873 mod
    Options

@KarlKaos Just to be sure, you have an Intel mac, right? Or is it a new M1/m2 computer?

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,873 mod
    Options

@KarlKaos Thanks for the precision, so now that you've deleted the vst2 file, you can load all your old projetcs. Do you still need help?

• KarlKaos
    Options

I actually deleted the VST 2 file and Cubase 13 Pro apparently just replaced it with the VST 3 version. I had to open 322 sessions, enable the instruments and save the session, but now everything works in KK3.

I don't need help any more.

• Outloaf
    Outloaf Member Posts: 1 Newcomer
    Options

I'm having the exact same issue... I hope this is fixed soon.

• FilmCompos3r
    FilmCompos3r Member Posts: 12 Member
    Options

Reading through this to try and get some ideas on how to handle this. So to recap - if a Cubase project used KK2 VST2, it will open up correctly in KK2 VST3, but only if the VST2 version of KK2 is deleted from the system.

A KK2 VST2 project will currently not open up in a KK3 project, but a KK2 VST3 project will open up properly in a KK3 project. To get there, existing KK2 VST2 sessions need to be opened and re-saved as KK2 VST3 sessions first.

nuts.

1.) will NI ever be able to fix this so that KK3 can correctly open up KK2 projects that were made using VST 2, or is it simply not possible?

2.) will we ever get an error message telling us what’s happening? It’s the worst feeling in the world getting a blank instance of KK with zero information on how to troubleshoot it.

• KarlKaos
    Options

So as far as I understand they simply not gonna support KK3 in the VST2 format any more and if you used KK2 in the VST2 format it will not be compatible. The only solution is to change all your instances of KK2 VST2 to VST3 and then it is compatible. I was very lucky that Cubase did that for me automatically, I just had to open each project and each instance and resave the project and then it worked. As far as error messages go, these are hard to come by. I'm trying for years to get a error read out of when an instrument is missing, so you actually now what is missing, but apparently they do not care.

• megaphonix
    megaphonix Member Posts: 2 Newcomer
    Options

Just thought I'd chime in here as a Windows user and say that my old projects using KK2 have been rendered useless since updating my NI plugins a week or so ago. Instances in these projects appear to load the KK2 DLL, but it says there are no plugins available and asks for a rescan - which instantly fails.

Needless to say, this is a major disappointment and issue for my workflow. I'm a musician, I refer to projects and ideas across time (in this case, these projects are from only a few months ago), and now the sounds from these projects are gone unless I apparently go through the arduous process of reinstalling the old version and manually copying things over to the new version. I even tried force-redirecting the DLL that FL refers to for this instance to the new KK3 (by changing the extension on the KK2 version to ".dll_old"), but, as the OP in this thread points out, that just brings up an empty instance instead of carrying over the KK2 instance's plugin(s) and information.

If any NI staff are reading this - is a fix possible? I have seen other plugins undergo significant updates yet still retain support for loading older presets, KK3 should be no different. You've essentially bricked all users' "old" (read: a few months old) projects.

• Sunborn
    Sunborn NKS User Library Mod Posts: 2,389 mod
    edited March 18
    Options

This is a, months old issue which affected a very large amount of users and it has no solution yet. If you search the forum, you will find a lot of threads on this matter and you will get the full story and all available info.

Short story is:

KK version 3+ it doesn't have a VST2 version (thus, no .dll) but only VST3, while on the same time NI developers failed to do the simplest thing, to ensure a smooth VST2 to VST3 migration.

So, until they release an update which will fix this problem you only solution is to go back to version 2.9.6, which still has the VST2 version. You will find a link on this thread:

The other solution is, to ignore this, and rework your projects from scratch, with the VST3 version

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,630 Expert
    Options

After upgrading, did you open the standalone KK app and allow it to scan through your plugins on startup? Not sure the plugin scanner works within a DAW

• DunedinDragon
    DunedinDragon Member Posts: 497 Pro
    Options

@megaphonix

If any NI staff are reading this - is a fix possible? I have seen other plugins undergo significant updates yet still retain support for loading older presets, KK3 should be no different. You've essentially bricked all users' "old" (read: a few months old) projects.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

The way I look at this, keeping the KK2 around is just delaying the inevitable. The industry is moving forward to VST3, so I just bit the bullet, removed my KK2 and older Kontakt version and only have KK3 and Kontakt 7 installed. I'm not going through all my old stuff, but as I pull one up that uses KK2, it will be blank in my DAW, so I just load KK3 and everything is fine and works perfectly. I figure there's a lot of stuff I'll probably never convert, but this will the easiest way to identify and correct things I use as I need it.

• Mark Oxley
    Mark Oxley Member Posts: 157 Advisor
    edited March 19
    Options

I'd be interested to know if there's a technical reason for KK3 not supporting VST2. In other words why couldn't it have been programmed to work with both formats? Most, if not all, current DAW'S still work fine with VST2 including mine, Ableton Live 12. Why create this headache for customers in the first place?

• DunedinDragon
    DunedinDragon Member Posts: 497 Pro
    Options

I can only guess as to why, but I do know that there are significant differences in how VST2 and VST3 are stored, used and their capabilities for the future. DAWs just use VST's whereas VST's are the core business of NI. So I would imagine supporting both probably at least doubles the size and complexity of what NI does which inherently means bigger, slower and less efficient not to mention more potential bugs and differences in functionality. It's just simpler, easier and more efficient to only support one going forward into the future.

Imagine, for example, a car that can be either a full gas engine powered vehicle and a full electric vehicle. That would affect not only cost of the product but potential failure and maintenance problems over the life of the vehicle. Likewise it couldn't perform either one of those things as efficiently as a dedicated electric or gas powered car because the capability of having both affects the overall capabilities of either.