Sound Files on multiple computers or external SSD

Options
NativeAmerican
NativeAmerican Member Posts: 46 Member

I am curious how many different locations you are allowed to install your sounds. I don't have enough space on my laptop for all of the sound packs that I own. I don't want to wait to install sound files until I buy a new SSD.

Answers

• reffahcs
    reffahcs Member Posts: 845 Guru
    Options

I don't think there's an actual limit, just be aware that you may run into issues later if you decide to move libraries.

Native Access will store the location of each library separately, so you can certainly set the Content Location in Native Access to one location, install a few libraries, change the Content Location to someplace else install more libraries and keep repeating. It could end up being tricky to manage though the more locations you add.

• NativeAmerican
    NativeAmerican Member Posts: 46 Member
    Options

My issue is that I installed two small sound packs already and I have two internal drives, I accidently aleady installed a couple items to the C drive and I actually would rather the sounds be on the D drive and the programs that use them on the C drive. I also need to have an external SSD in order to put all of the NI software I have because I have an older version of Komplete Ultimate that will take up all of the space on the laptops I want to use, plus I would like to just have the files on a portable SSD and only install them on a single drive if possible and then use it with other devices.

• reffahcs
    reffahcs Member Posts: 845 Guru
    Options

I'm not an NI expert, but I'm not sure if their software was really designed to work that way.

I understand your logic, that the music samples should be portable so a copy of the samples doesn't have to be installed on every computer you're authorized to install your NI products on. But in my limited experience, it doesn't seem like NI provides enough distinction between audio samples and computer code to achieve what you want to do. I think you're just going to be in for a massive headache, but I could be wrong. Best of luck though!