Link for information on best/cleanest route to move NI Library to a new Mac

Options
Master of Madness
Master of Madness Member Posts: 1 Newcomer

I'm upgrading my Mac to a new Mac Mini M2 Pro. On previous new computers I mostly just used Time Machine to transfer everything, with an occasional clean install, but the last one was long before having NI or any recording software. This time I'd like a clean start again, with fresh reinstall of all applications and supporting files.

Is there a link somewhere that provides the best/cleanest/most efficient way to move all of my NI library & plug-ins that I've collected over the last 5 years over to the new Mac? I haven't found one yet. I've got a lot files that I'm finding tucked away in folders that probably don't need to be there, but I'm not sure. Everything's working fine today, but I'm bracing myself for days of cleaning and installation, then looking forward to a much cleaner computer, at least for a couple years.

Thanks,

Tony

Tagged:

Answers

• reffahcs
    reffahcs Member Posts: 845 Guru
    Options

For NI software downloaded through NA, it should be fairly straight forward. Just move the "Content Location" folder to your new computer and make sure the Content Location in NA on your new computer points to where ever you installed it.

As far as plugins, VST, AUX, VST3 etc... that part seems a little more complicated.

The system default location is /Library/Audio/Plug-ins/VST /Library/Audio/Plug-ins/VST3 and /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components

Those same paths might exist under your user directory as well

If you really want to make sure you found all the VST folders you use the terminal to run a find / -iname "*.vst3" or vst or etc... then that would at least give you a base directory with which you could copy everything from.

• mykejb
    mykejb Moderator Posts: 1,220 mod
    Options

I'd suggest using Native Access and loading everything from scratch on the new machine. It'll take a while downloading, but at least you'll get the latest version of everything without any old stuff lying around. If you find you're missing anything that's probably the time to start copying stuff off the old Mac.

You might find some software isn't compatible with Sonoma yet which is what you'll probably find is preinstalled on a new Mac. Details here macOS 14 Sonoma Compatibility Statement – Native Instruments (native-instruments.com)

-- Mike