Guitar Rig 6 MFX patches gone when updating to Logic 10.8

Options
Romain Keller
Romain Keller Member Posts: 4 Newcomer

Hello,

I have just updated to Logic 10.8. Everything works perfectly. Unfortunately Logic no longer recognizes Guitar Rig 6 as MFX. However, I used Guitar Rig 6 MFX as a plugin for the production of 10 unmixed songs. When I now open a session, all the settings are gone and I can no longer access the parameters. Is there any way to solve this? I have seen that now only the FX version of the plugins is displayed. No matter if Guitar Rig 5, 6 or 7.

Replacing all guitar sounds would take an eternity :o

Best Answer

• Eddie_NI
    Eddie_NI Product Team Posts: 357 mod
    Answer ✓
    Options

Further analysis shows that the new limitation is that FX and MFX versions of the same effects are apparently not allowed by Logic 10.8. We don't know why that is and will need to get in touch with Apple about this. We are very sorry for the inconvenience.

Answers

• Kymeia
    Kymeia NKS User Library Mod Posts: 3,747 mod
    edited November 2023
    Options

ah I was wondering here whether Logic 10.8 would eliminate the need for MFX, I guess the answer is 'yes'

https://community.native-instruments.com/discussion/comment/105918#Comment_105918

I don't think this would be a case of going back to an earlier version of GR, the change is in how Logic handles MIDI within AU plugins, it looks like there have been a lot of changes under the hood to enable them to function better within a MIDI environment

I guess you could maybe revert Logic?

• oobe79
    oobe79 Member Posts: 83 Helper
    Options

As someone who hasn’t used Guitar Rig but was planning to over Thanksgiving with my son and brother coming into town with their guitars, can you translate what you mean? Will I be able to start a new session with Guitar Rig in the effects chain in Logic 10.8?

• Romain Keller
    Options

What is the best way to go back to version 10.7.9 of Logic? Unfortunately I don't have a backup of this version :/

• Kymeia
    edited November 2023
    Options

Yes if you have never used the MFX version before now you don't need to, I presume (although have not tried it yet as we just found out about this) standard AUs can now do much or all that MFX could do before? So just use the FX version and you'll be fine, this is really only affecting people who made heavy use of the MFX before

• Kymeia
    Options

Honestly Apple really should have warned people about the implications of updating to 10.8, it looks like they snuck some changes in they should have been more up front about not just to users but also their fellow developers. I know that it is possible to downgrade as the OP in this thread did it (Danthesiser) but I have never done it myself so I guess you'll need to look for some information on that or ask Danthesiser perhaps?

https://community.native-instruments.com/discussion/comment/105873#Comment_105873

• Kymeia
    edited November 2023
    Options

OK I just I just tried MIDI learning a GR knob though and nothing happened so not sure now - it looks like if Apple intend for normal FX to be MIDI capable now and have done away with MFX as a thing then maybe there is work to be done in the plugins to make that happen too?

• Romain Keller
    Options

I have now managed to go back to version 10.7.9. I guess I will have to bounce all guitar tracks now? Or do you think Native Instruments can fix this with an update? I want to update at some point and still have access to parameters in older sessions

• Kymeia
    Options

Not sure, it seems Reaktor and Absynth MFX are still there so maybe this is just a glitch in the new version, or a sign they are moving away from them but that process is incomplete? Clearly if they do intend for people to be able to use MIDI learn in the FX version though it’s not working at the moment.

• Eddie_NI
    Options

It looks like Logic does not allow users to use the MFX (MIDI controlled effects) anymore in the "Audio FX" slot but only in the "Instrument" slot. This is very worrying, we are looking into it.

• Eddie_NI
    Answer ✓
    Options

Further analysis shows that the new limitation is that FX and MFX versions of the same effects are apparently not allowed by Logic 10.8. We don't know why that is and will need to get in touch with Apple about this. We are very sorry for the inconvenience.

• Kymeia
    Options

I do wonder if now that AUs can output MIDI, Apple are wanting to move away from having separate FX and MFX versions, but it sounds like they have made a poor job of communicating this to developers and users

• Kymeia
    Options

So now I can find the Guitar Rig MFX plugin but it's in a new location under the instruments menu, which is not helpful

• Romain Keller
    Options

I asked a friend who still had a buckup of the older Logic version. It's now running as a trial after I completely removed 10.8 - but that's enough to sort out the problems

• Macaius
    Macaius Member Posts: 1 Newcomer
    Options

I'm experiencing the very same problems exposed here - also, I've had the same issue with a reverb from Eventide, that I've fixed manually removing one of their plugins so the system could read the old one. It's awful for Guitar Rig, because unlike some of the users here were able to show MFX under instrument track, and I've got a lot of presets in many of my mixes that I can't see the settings for Guitar Rig slots, I used the MFX versions a lot. I hope this is a temporary issue, because I can't keep editing these mixes unless this problem is fixed by Apple.