S88 MK3 Windows Users - Read this before you try the initial FW Update [SOLVED]

Answers

• Vagus
    Vagus Member Posts: 448 Guru

As much as I would love for my S MK3 to update on windows, Microsoft has not rolled out this driver.

I would very much like to get this sorted, because the fact that there's no way to update these keyboards without returning them, is honestly, quite shocking. Surely, you can provide the updated driver for us to download?

• KenV99
    KenV99 Member Posts: 6 Member

i pre ordered this in early October and today it is finally on FedEx truck for delivery and after reading this, I’m not sure what is safe. I have a Mac laptop, is it safe to update the firmware from there?

Should I install the Windows drivers before I plug it in to my Win 11 desktop? The ones from the NI site?

Between the long delay in getting their flagship product and the fear of bricking it, I am left wondering if this was a bad move.

• MyStudioOne
    MyStudioOne Member Posts: 282 Pro

I think most here would say that it is best practice to install drivers prior to initializing (plugging in for the first time) new gear.

• Andreas02
    Andreas02 Member Posts: 4 Newcomer

Hi everybody,it's exactly the same with my S88 MK3. None of the tips above helped zu fix the problem to upgrade the Firmware. I'm really disappointed of this genius Keyboard and NI.

I will try to contact the Support...perhaps it will work...

• fujifuji
    fujifuji Member Posts: 4 Newcomer
    edited December 2023

Still no answer from support - Still no new driver via Windows... i am really angry!

• fujifuji

"issues" is really funny... i would call it "keyboard is not usable"

and: reaching out to the support team doesnt help in any way - cause they don´t answer!

• fujifuji

FINALLY: i got my S88 MK3 working by exactly following this guide (had problems to find the driver in the system lists and sublists, but finally found it)

https://community.native-instruments.com/discussion/17887/fix-for-kontrol-mk3-firmware-update-on-windows

• Andreas02
    Andreas02 Member Posts: 4 Newcomer

Thanks for the link, I will try If it will work...

• Matthew_NI
    Matthew_NI Product Team Posts: 1,286 mod

They do answer - in the order of received. So you may have to wait, which I recognize is frustrating.

• Ojustaboo
    Ojustaboo Member Posts: 313 Advisor

New s88 mk3 arrived today, power supply arriving tomorrow (no USB C on PC)

Am I now OK to do the firmware update (presuming it’s not already updated)?

It looks like I should now be fine from this thread, just want to double check, don’t want to ruin anything,

On Win 10 Pro, latest version/fully updated

Thanks

• Ojustaboo
    edited January 12

Sadly the firmware update failed.

The update program started fine, then it came up with your kontrol failed to boot into firmware update mode and could not be properly updated. To boot your Kontrol s mk3 inro firmware update mode, please power-cycle it and click retry.

Thing is, S88 still says "Updating your keyboard Do not disconnect the power supply or turn off your keyboard" so I've left it running for now, but don't think it's doing anything as the update program says it isn't.

I just followed the post from "Vas P" entitled "Fix for Kontrol Mk3 firmware update on Windows" and linked to in the post above by "fujifugi"

The service is running, but under Device settings the "Kontrol s88 mk3 dfu" is listed as unknown device, but no matter where I search on my PC, it can't find the correct driver.

So, if someone could point out where the driver is, or what it's called so I can search the entire PC for it, I would be a happy man.

Also I presume that as the update [rogram says its failed, I can ignore the keyboard warning not to switch off? I'll leave the keyboard on for a couple of hrs or until I hear back from someone, which ever is sooner.

Many thanks

• Ojustaboo
    edited January 12

hmm, gave up as software wawsnt doing anything and 1 1/2 hrs have past

Now when I turn on my S88 it just says "Looks like somethiung went wrong, please re-run the update on your computer"

I rerun it and doesn't recognise my s88, doesn't show serial number or installed firmware and just says rescan

• Ojustaboo

Hmm, according to number 6 on the below link, my keyboard needs replacing, that’s a great start lol

https://support.native-instruments.com/hc/en-us/articles/14229160390045-Kontrol-S-Series-MK3-Troubleshooting-Firmware-Update-Issues

• Ojustaboo
    edited January 13

Hi

All fixed

Got up, tried again, same thing happened.

I thought I would give it a go following the instructions in the third post on page one in the following link, editing the nikksm3dfu.inf file.

https://community.native-instruments.com/discussion/17741/s88-mk3-drivers-and-firmware-update/p1

I found the folder containing the .inf file in c:\windows\system32\DriverStore\FileRepository and I copied the folder nikksm3dfu.inf_AMD64_77e60ab000533825 (might be a different number on yours) to a new folder and followed FlipBits instructions.

I also went through Device Manager with show hidden devices selected and removed all mention of both my new mk3 S88 and my previous now sold mk2 s61.

I probably should have mentioned this yesterday, I had a PCI express USB C expansion card delivered yesterday, today I moved that to a different PCI express slot.

I rebooted, re-ran the update, it took about 5 mins but updated perfectly.

Yay.

Feeling very happy now 

Hopefully it’s now all sorted

It might have been as simple as moving the PCI Express expansion card to another slot that fixed it, who knows.

Anyway a very happy man

I’m going to spend a day reinstalling win 10 from scratch, last few times I’ve rebuilt over the years have been from a true image backup from a few years ago with windows and drivers etc already installed on the backup (then I run windows update). As I’ve changed so much, I think starting from scratch will be a sensible move.

Thanks

• Chris_NI
    Chris_NI Product Team Posts: 53 mod

Hi all,

This issue has now been resolved with the latest Windows updates.

Please open your Windows Settings > Update & Security and make sure you install all available Windows updates. After these updates, the Device Updater works as expected and you can install the latest firmware.

Please refer to our Knowledge base article for more help:

https://support.native-instruments.com/hc/en-us/articles/14229160390045

If you still run into issues, please get in touch with our customer support team, who will help you find a solution.

This discussion has been closed.