MK3 Keyboards and MIDI 2.0 alongside NKS2... what are some things that may come?

Options
nightjar
nightjar Member Posts: 1,287 Guru

NI is of course all-in with NKS2 with the new MK3 keyboards.. and I am excited to see how NKS2 evolves over the next year.

But I think 2024 is gonna be a big year for MIDI 2.0, and thankfully the new MK3 keyboards offer this too. However we need to wait for the MIDI functions of the MK3 keyboards to get fully "unlocked" by a future firmware update (expected late 2023 or early 2024).

I think it would be wise for NI to be as aggressive at capitalizing on the abilities of MIDI 2.0 with the MK3 keyboards as NKS2 once 2024 hits.

In the meantime.. I'm ramping up my awareness of all things MIDI 2.0.

Let's share some discussion of how MIDI 2.0 might bring good stuff to our music creation tools!

Comments

• nightjar
    Options

Thoughts...

Should NI design NKS2 "instrument profiles" that are modeled on those in MIDI 2.0.. but extended in extra ways provided by NKS2?

• nightjar
    edited November 2023
    Options

I'm not trying to push competitive controllers.. I'm a fan of NI's commitment to the evolution of NKS2 and the elegance of the new S-MK3 controllers...

BUT.. this thread is about the parallel journey of MIDI 2.0 and what may happen in 2024.

Roland made an important move today (Nov 16) with an MIDI 2.0 update for their A-88MKII

Various paths to "Smart Parameter Mapping" is getting some oomph!

MIDI 2.0 and USB-C

The A-88MKII includes the latest technologies for years of universal compatibility and convenience. Class-compliant USB-C enables bus power and single-cable connectivity with devices running Windows, macOS, iOS, and iPadOS.* The latest A-88MKII system software (Version 2.0 and later) provides support for MIDI 2.0, unlocking advanced real-time expressive capabilities with the keyboard and panel knobs.

My point is I want my new S-61 MK3 to be a great controller for all my NKS2 enabled products AND other software products that are prepped for MIDI 2.0, but not necessarily NKS2.

• mykejb
    mykejb Moderator Posts: 1,212 mod
    Options

Talking about Roland - I was playing with the new Galaxian (or whatever it's called, sounds like something the Avengers will be fighting in a future movie). Similar idea to KK in that it acts like a wrapped to all their other instruments, but it hosts/layers up to four at once with 16 mappable knobs. Doesn't integrate back to custom keyboard displays yet, but still looks neat.

-- Mike

• nightjar
    edited November 2023
    Options

Well it does have a desktop gui that mimics the 8 rotary knobs on the A-88… so a very natural feel for a heads-up relationship of what does what

And yes, it does seem a lot like KK.

• BIF
    BIF Member Posts: 611 Pro
    Options

@nightjar

Thank you for the background information! I agree that it would be smart for as many of us as possible to take the time to learn more about MIDI 2.0, so I plan to review it tonight or on Friday.

Thanks again; well done!