Komplete Kontrol is now an amazing piece of rubbish

Options
Rollo
Rollo Member Posts: 23 Member

Seriously, ****** happened here? This has to be the worst implementation of a software plugin I have ever seen. How do you screw up something that was serviceable into a confusing mess is beyond me. NI is hiring the wrong people..

Comments

• Saski
    Saski Member Posts: 11 Member
    Options

Absolutely. This software is garbage.

Forced to use Kontakt 7...which in itself, is really clunky.

• Vocalpoint
    Vocalpoint Member Posts: 1,098 Guru
    edited October 2023
    Options

Or just stay with 2.9.6 like the rest of us.

There is zero need to use KK3 for any reason (unless you just bought a new S-Series MKIII keyboard in the last few weeks and have no choice) But if you did and have to use this - I feel for you.

Me - I am coming back in July 2024 to see if this gets any better.

VP

• Kymeia
    Kymeia NKS User Library Mod Posts: 3,862 mod
    edited October 2023
    Options

Restricting the ability to edit custom presets. This breaks the core of my current workflow, which is built around creating a huge custom library. I was hoping that instead of crippling down the Preset and Browsing functions of Komplete Kontrol, Native Instruments would actually improve the Browser and Preset-Editing functions! Like being able to edit TYPES and CHARACTERS! (instead of being forced to delete them and create a new name, then re-order EVERY SINGLE preset into this new name - Type/charakter).

Yes a lot of us were pushing for much better editing facilities, not less. NI seem to have misinterpreted the data they get from their software usage analytics there. Just to clarify though, unless I am misunderstanding you, we could always edit types and characters for NKS presets, both individually and in batches using multi select. You can even create your own types and characters. That hasn’t changed in the new version, although I do think it is even clunkier than it was, which is saying something.

What was missing, and still is, was the ability to edit properties like bank and sub bank fields, which made authoring your own content harder (although there are hacks around that). What has gone backwards with KK3 is properties editing is now completely greyed out, you can’t edit things like preset author or even add your own notes to a patch at the moment. However NI have at least promised that is just a temporary thing as they planned to revamp preset editing completely, so hopefully we may even see the things like bank names being added as well as what was lost being brought back and have a much better editing experience once that is done.

• nowiamone
    nowiamone Member Posts: 26 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options

". However NI have at least promised that is just a temporary thing as they planned to revamp preset editing completely" -> if NI comes back with flying colors, and not only reverts the crippling changes, but actually improves preset editing and the browser/instrument view, it would give me a LOT of hope for NIs future. "faith in NI" would be restored, so to speak.

Yea, i'm staying with the version before 3. BUT: to me, this whole topic is also about having trust in NI as a company. When a company makes too many decisions that deviate from the wishes of the customers/community, i lose trust. When i go to native access, see updates for my Kontakt Libraries, and press "update", they're broken in KK, until i buy Kontakt 7. That's the wrong direction to go as a company. To incentivize customers to buy new stuff, by breaking their current workflow.

And concerning the Komplete Kontrol Software: i can wait out the 3.0 version and some following versions, too. But you have to understand that it's never nice to lose trust in the expertise and VISION of a company. I want to support companies whose vision (for workflow, UI, UX AND customersupport) i share.

That being said, i still love the workflow of Komplete Kontrol and NIs products too much, so i will wait patiently for the next updates. :)

• Vocalpoint
    edited October 2023
    Options

@nowiamone

"Yea, I'm staying with the version before 3. BUT: to me, this whole topic is also about having trust in NI as a company. When a company makes too many decisions that deviate from the wishes of the customers/community, I lose trust"

This was (and never is) about trust. NI is not here to gain my trust (and no user should be so "trusting" of any vendor either). Vendors exist to supply "product" Some of it great. Some of it just OK and some to avoid. KK3 is in the latter category.

With the unstoppable amount of churn, releases, updates and all the other scenarios that are guaranteed to cause the typical DAW user pain - this is always about doing your homework first and pulling the trigger after you have done your own due diligence.

It would take even the most beginner NI user about 8 minutes in these forums (and a lot of others) to quickly find out that KK3 is a bit of a disaster right now and then stand back and decide their next move.

Now I get it - it's easy to "say" this and I totally understand that a great many NEVER do anything like this or even THINK about doing anything like this - but it is mostly these exact users who got burned on this so fast.

Everyone sees a flashing "Update (1)" in Native Access and assumes it's all good. It's not. And not just this release and not even just from NI specifically.

All updates from any vendor should be considered untrusted until such time that you can study the early intel being reported and then decide whether update A or release B is worth your time.

I am a huge passionate fan of Studio One - but I have not gone near v6.50 yet and I am just fine to wait until the next (v6.5.1) release finally drops.

VP

• Rollo
    Rollo Member Posts: 23 Member
    Options

Great comments which pretty much cover all of my issues with this release. I am amazed that this company actually thought this would be a viable “update “. It screams incompetency.

• Keith Cocker
    Keith Cocker Member Posts: 122 Advisor
    Options

I'm having a great time with it and my Mk3 keyboard. Like a pig in muck as the saying goes!!!.

• Vocalpoint
    Options

For some - especially those that did not use KK2 or really get into some of the more "power user" functions in KK - I would expect that KK3 is adequate.

But for many others (myself included) KK3 is a shell of its former KK2 self and needs some serious work just to draw even with KK2 at this stage.

VP

• RobertDorn
    RobertDorn Member Posts: 40 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options

Agree with what everyone says in this topic. I hope NI will listen. The first responses of the NI team member involved in developing Komplete kontrol 3 that went on Holliday, was practically that Komplete kontrol 3 is the best thing that could happen based on the customer base feedback. While at the same time one of the beta testers jumped ship because non of is feedback was taken serious.

let’s see how it works out. The more people venting their thoughts on Komplete kontrol 3 , the sooner -hopefully- NI will work on a real world useable version of KK3.

since I’m already stuck at taking use of it, by the fact kk3.0 cpu spikes my m2 max Mac with only 2 to 3 instances running, the choice is rather obvious to keep using Kk2.9.6 for the coming months. And even if the performance issues are fixed, I won’t think about updating till kk3.0 at least has an interface with both the browser and instrument view visible simultaneously (as an option) like its predecessor.

• Keith Cocker
    Keith Cocker Member Posts: 122 Advisor
    edited October 2023
    Options

I made extensive use of KK2 for a long time and suffered its inadequacies and problems. I am enjoying the improvements KK3 brings. As for "power user" - well - what a silly arrogant term that is.

• nowiamone
    nowiamone Member Posts: 26 Member
    Options

You say "This was (and never is) about trust." and then continue to talk about how important it is to never trust Updates, haha! I agree that every music-software-user has to learn this lesson about not trusting Updates. But it's just a fact that certain companies can be trusted more than others, when it comes to updates not breaking things. That's just how it is.

• Vocalpoint
    edited October 2023
    Options

@nowiamone

"But it's just a fact that certain companies can be trusted more than others, when it comes to updates not breaking things. That's just how it is"

Well - it may be a fact to you - but each to their own.

If you want to "trust" NI (or any other vendor) to not break your stuff - no one is going to try to stop you.

VP

• Hywel
    Hywel Member Posts: 25 Member
    Options

If you are enjoying it so much @Keith Cocker, may I ask why you are wasting time reading and contributing to to a forum thread entitled "Komplete Kontrol is now an amazing piece of rubbish"? Just saying...