I have now Dropped NI

2»

Comments

• Warempel
    Warempel Member Posts: 21 Member

"The One is basically the Akai equivalent to the Maschine+"

Not really. The Force is the AKAI's equivalent to the Maschine+.

With an MPC One, you can't arrange songs or record audio (vocal, real instrument) that crosses the boundary of a loop (sequence). If you don't need to arrange on your device and are happy to just repeat the same loop over and over with some track mutes and FX changes, the MPC is fine of course.

If you want to do audio recording (multiple takes, comping) it's Force or M+, which is why they are priced similarly, with the M+ currently being a bit cheaper than the Force. The Force has more limitations (No of tracks) but has more internal instruments & FX and an SSD and XLRs.

M+ has a better arranger but editing is more tedious without a touch screen.

• iNate
    iNate Member Posts: 218 Advisor
    edited January 15

That’s just a workflow difference. You do it in a different way. The Maschine+ is an MPC One running Maschine firmware. The force is something more comparable to an Ableton Push.

A Maschine+ is as big as a MacBook. Not sure why anyone would record on that when they can boot up Logic and connect a Scarlett solo to record Vocals or whatever. Trying to record and comp vocals on a groovebox is basically decreasing your quality of life for no reason and no gain.

I have never seen anyone record into Maschine 2 or MPC 2, except to sample and chop stuff up.

And that’s assuming they ever record, as many producers only produce beats that they sell to vocalists, who then record vocals on top of them. So, this is a really weird are of contention. Almost no MPC or Maschine users are going to care about this.

• Warempel
    Warempel Member Posts: 21 Member

I think it goes beyond workflow with respect to arrangement and audio, and anyway workflow is massive.

Actually, the Force, unlike the Push, has a proper arranger, which makes it a real alternative to the M+. But its stability track record isn't spotless either so at the moment I'm not jumping.

I just hope NI steps up to the plate and starts investing in the Maschine platform again...

• Jiglo
    Jiglo Member Posts: 161 Advisor
    edited January 15

It does kinda worry me that Akai are making the right noises, and selling a future that is and isn't here yet with Stems etc and also that at least 1 youtuber that I respect has put his rep on Stems as well as a few other people that I know less about. Their marketing has worked. They create the buzz that keeps the interest. I would also argue that they create an unhappy user base too, so let's not kid ourselves that it's perfect, or more perfect than any other hardware/software music creation company out there. The worry though is that the buzz and interest overwhelms the marketplace and kills off aspirations for companies to improve due to a diminishing user base. I agree now that NI have probably slept somewhat on what they had and aren't pushing innovations that ignite tonnes of interest, like some do.

But I also agree with a term you used earlier, likening them to Apple (even if you might not agree with that).

Maybe Android phones can do more (in some cases), have some better features (in some cases), are more affordable etc (in some cases), but imo they're a cluttered mess. Apple gear just works as easily as possible in most cases and is nicer to live with in my own experiences. It's also super stable with no nasty surprises. That's really how I feel about the M+.

Most people want as easy a life as possible and that's pretty much the M+ workflow. It's also deep enough for me and many and sounds great.

• iNate

It doesn’t. I. Not saying workflow isn’t massive. I am simply stating what it is. The way you do this in an MPC is simply different.

and also has to be juxtaposed against the MPCs far more efficient editing workflow, so there are pros and cons to both machines all over the place. No one expects them to be identical, but the Maschine+ is still an MPC One+ with Native Instruments firmware and more “problems” that affect its users during normal usage scenarios… at a MUCH higher price point.

The average user getting into production is not going to pay $300 more for an arranger, but super fiddle editing, when they can export stems and arrange in a DAW in minutes. That is throwing money away.

• iNate

Super stable with no nasty surprises… Maschine+?

I feel like I’m replying to copium and will just cease to bother, moving forward. Have a nice day.

• Jiglo

No, I can only speak from personal experience. I'm a fairly heavy M+ user and since the back end of 2022, mine has been rock solid.

What are your issues?

• Jiglo

But also, I love the MC-707, SP-16, Polyend Tracker, Blackbox a LOT more than the MPC, just because it is a pretty awful workflow.

That's coming from an older MPC background too. The One is my 3rd MPC after owning a couple of older school MPC's, so i'm not just some M+ fanboy.

• chk071
    chk071 Member Posts: 525 Pro

Considering what a "pile of ******" it is, you can surely expect to get it for free. 😉