What's the best way to recreate an instrument in an older version of Kontakt?

Options
Zxennial
Zxennial Member Posts: 2 Newcomer
edited November 2023 in Scripting Workshop

Hi, first time posting here...

I'm just starting out creating some of my own Kontakt Instruments and have realised that Kontakt is not forwards compatible. The instruments I have created in Kontakt 7 will not open in older versions.

I'd like to recreate the instruments in Kontakt 6 to allow wider access but I just wondered if anyone has a shortcut for how to do this?

The instruments are pretty basic, so mostly its the sample mapping and sample start / loop points that would be most time consuming to recreate.

I did wonder if there is a LUA script that could be used in Creator tools to speed up the process. After all, theres a script for transferring a Kontakt Instrument to Decent Sampler.

Thanks

Comments

• Paule
    Paule Member Posts: 1,328 Expert
    Options

There can be no backwards compatibility anywhere because today's developers never know what tomorrow's developers will realize.

• ShelLuser
    ShelLuser Member Posts: 240 Pro
    Options

Errr, that's forwards compability you're talking about.

• ShelLuser
    ShelLuser Member Posts: 240 Pro
    Options

@Zxennial

I'd like to recreate the instruments in Kontakt 6 to allow wider access but I just wondered if anyone has a shortcut for how to do this?

I very much doubt that any quick shortcuts or other provided features will exist. At best, if you're lucky, you can check the samples being used and maybe edit the instrument so that you can get a good impression of how things work.

But then you'll need to manually copy all of that over onto Kontakt 6.

And that's even assuming that you can edit the instrument, because of a lot of current instruments have disabled this feature which makes it pretty much impossible to fully track how they work. Also keep in mind that while things may look easy enough... that's not exactly much proof that things actually are easy.

Quite frankly though I can't help wonder why you'd even bother?

I mean... forwards compatibility is pretty much non-existing in software development in general, as Paule also mentioned. Making me wonder... why not just stuck with Kontakt 7?

• Zxennial
    Zxennial Member Posts: 2 Newcomer
    Options

Thanks for the replies. Pretty much what I expected but thought I'd check anyway. 😀