RandomStepShifter Glitched?

Options
Rinoa
Rinoa Member Posts: 13 Member
edited October 2023 in Reaktor

Hey yall. For some reason whenever I add RandomStepShifter (from the Factory Library) into an existing ensemble it isn't able to correctly play samples; they stutter instead of playing in full. When I load the RandomStepShifter ensemble first and then load things into it, It works fine. Any idea why?

Tagged:

Answers

• Paule
    Paule Member Posts: 1,328 Expert
    edited October 2023
    Options

It don't bother me if I know a solution of an issue.

--------

There is a manual Reaktor 5 Instrument Reference.pdf page 266.

Mayhaps you'll find something by yourself?

Here is the source of the older R5 manuals:

https://www.native-instruments.com/de/products/komplete/synths/reaktor-6/downloads/

included the instrument guide.

• Rinoa
    edited October 2023
    Options

this wasnt very helpful, you dont know the solution and the issue i am talking about is not and wouldnt be cited in the manual.

since last night ive found a couple other audio table based ensembles that behave similarly; works fine when loaded from the library on its own but will stutter when playing samples when the ensemble is dragged in to be used as an instrument in a larger ensemble, even if its the only thing in the structure

i load up the RandomStepShifter ensemble, works fine, load up another instance as an instrument and mix them together through a studio mixer instrument, the old instance still works but the new instance is glitched. looking at the structures side by side i couldnt see any deviation between the two so i am very lost

• Paule
    edited October 2023
    Options

I'm a user like you. I can't be helpful to each other as I don't know specifics of this ens.

It's better for you to got this answer than no answer.

As I wrote it above:

It don't bother me if I know a solution of an issue.

and you wrote it also

When I load the RandomStepShifter ensemble first and then load things into it, It works fine.

Your own answer gave the solution and I can follow your experiences in that ensemble.

Why it don't works in other mode? You can ask NI or the builder of this very old thingy.

• Rinoa
    edited October 2023
    Options

I'd just prefer you not say anything if you aren't going to attempt to help me with my problem apart from telling me "RTFM".

How about "following my experiences" about my bug and trying to reproduce my issue rather than confirming that the way that I have found it to work works?

• Paule
    Options

Then go ahead and tell everyone that Paule is a chatterbox.

• Sunborn
    Sunborn NKS User Library Mod Posts: 2,369 mod
    Options

I'm afraid that, with this attitude, you won't get any kind of help, ever...

Paule is a Reaktor expert, you could learn a lot of things from him.

• Sunborn
    edited December 2023
    Options

@Rinoa Probably it can not work inside another ensemble as it is.

You need to use its Macros, modify them and fit them in your ensemble.

• colB
    colB Member Posts: 830 Guru
    Options

It should just work. You can load an ensemble into another ensemble just fine.

The problem might be related to sample maps, maybe whether the samples are embedded or not... or something... we won't find out unless rinoa returns...

• Sunborn
    edited December 2023
    Options

Nope, this is not a sample map problem because samples are embedded on all Factory Library ensembles.

Also, i tested it as "ensemble inside ensemble" and it doesn't work.

However i suspect that the answer it might be the "play" option (as you know, some ensembles, usually sequencers or grooveboxes are only make sound if you click the play button).

So, as an inserted ensemble inside a "normal" ensemble (one you can play with midi keyboard without pressing play), it can not play as it is. I will make a test and combine it with other groove/seq ensembles to see what will happen. :-)

• colB
    Options

I'm not really following your reasoning, probably just me not understanding.

It's a sequenced sample player, so you need to press play for it to work. The OP was talking about a problem that doesn't occur with the base ensemble, but does occur when it is inserted into an existing ensemble. I don't see how that is related to midi key input. To me it either works when you hit play on the transport bar, or it doesn't... and for me it does work, base ensemble, or when inserted into an existing ensemble.

I get nothing with midi input to the base ensemble, which isn't broken and works for Rinoa too.

I would need to ask Rinoa some questions to narrow down the issue, which could be platform specific, or operator error, or some use case that I haven't experienced...

Have you managed to replicate the problem where some feature does work on the factory ensemble, but no when its inserted into some other ensemble?

• Sunborn
    edited December 2023
    Options

to say it as simpler as i can

Case 1: 2-OSC + RandomStepShifter = WORKING

Also with other synths tested (from the Factory), it is working

Case 2: Some ensembles i tested from user library + RandomStepShifter = NOT WORKING (as the OP intended). Few others, does.

Explaining: The OP mention "an existing ensemble", so i assumed a User ensemble, thus i practice with some user ensembles. Few are working, most are not. I didn't mention that in my previous post (that i am testing user ensembles, i thought it was obvious, my mistake).

"Have you managed to replicate the problem where some feature does work on the factory ensemble, but no when its inserted into some other ensemble?"

I can not see such a problem. When it works, it works correctly, at least here in my computer.

• colB
    Options

Explaining: The OP mention "an existing ensemble", so i assumed a User ensemble, thus i practice with some user ensembles. Few are working, most are not. I didn't mention that in my previous post (that i am testing user ensembles, i thought it was obvious, my mistake).

can you give an example (or 2) or ensembles where it doesn't work please, so I can test :)

• Sunborn
    Options

I can't really remember. The whole story was just few random choices, quickly drag&dropped. When something didn't worked instantly, i dragged another one without paying too much attention.

Anyway, i think we just waste or time here since the OP is ...disappeared. We may return, if he returns.

• bytechop
    bytechop Member Posts: 2 Member
    edited December 2023
    Options

Maybe it was casued by the ensemble settings of the first ensemble which was used to insert other instruments / import ensembles. Instrument settings are independent but not the ensemble settings.