S61 MK3 not recognising Komplete Kontrol instruments

Options
lcmorley
lcmorley Member Posts: 10 Newcomer
edited October 2023 in Komplete Kontrol

I have just had my S61 Kontrol MK3 keyboard. I have installed the latest Komplete Kontrol 3.0.0 software in Logic and have version 1.5.3 software on the controller.

When I open Komplete Kontrol in Logic (v 10.7.4), and select an Instrument to play, the Kontrol keyboard does not seem to recognise that it has been opened. It is still just showing the standard Midi display. The Plugin button is not illuminated and I can't select it to show the plugin.

Furthermore, when it has worked (which has not been very often in the last hour or so), I am unable to change any of the options such as Cutoff using the knobs. They appear to be locked.

It's really annoying because the whole purpose of me buying this controller was so it had integration with Komplete Kontrol. I have an S88 MK2 and have not had the issue previously.

I am on a Mac Studio with Ventura 13.2.

Anyone have any ideas or experienced anything similar?

Best Answer

• Matthew_NI
    Matthew_NI Product Team Posts: 880 mod
    Answer ✓
    Options

First, update to Logic 10.7.9 or higher, and at least macOS 13.5. Apple fixed some major issues with their MIDI implementation as of those versions.

Secondly, in Settings/MIDI ensure that MIDI 2.0 is unchecked.

Thirdly, when the keyboard is plugged in, select Auto Assign here to ensure everything is correctly and automatically configured for use with Logic Pro.

Lastly, if this is still not working, try using a USB-C hub (ensure it's a data, not just a power connection). Sometimes USB-C inputs can be finicky.

Answers

• LostInFoundation
    LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,308 Expert
    Options

2 things come to mind:

1. The keyboard should not have been delivered yet (at least on their site is still on pre order). It’s a matter of days (I think the 18th has been hinted), but maybe the correct software hasn’t been released yet
    2. Ventura is not yet officially supported for NI products, so maybe this could be the problem

This…plus start taking in consideration that even when officially released it being completely bug free is not 100% sure…

• LostInFoundation
    LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,308 Expert
    Options

Ooops yes…forget point 2…I read Ventura but my brain elaborated it in Sonoma 😂😂😂

Sorry

• Kymeia
    Kymeia NKS User Library Mod Posts: 3,802 mod
    edited October 2023
    Options

afaik 1.5.3  is the latest version of the firmware so it's not that, if this was delivered early and is a demo model there is a possibility this could be faulty unit so I'd suggest contacting NI support directly.

• Matthew_NI
    Answer ✓
    Options

First, update to Logic 10.7.9 or higher, and at least macOS 13.5. Apple fixed some major issues with their MIDI implementation as of those versions.

Thirdly, when the keyboard is plugged in, select Auto Assign here to ensure everything is correctly and automatically configured for use with Logic Pro.

Lastly, if this is still not working, try using a USB-C hub (ensure it's a data, not just a power connection). Sometimes USB-C inputs can be finicky.

• lcmorley
    edited October 2023
    Options

Hi,

Many thanks for your help and suggestions everyone. Matthew, the issue turned out to be the USB port on my Mac Studio. I was using one at the back of the machine. I then changed it to one at the front and the controller came to life.

Many thanks again!!

• lcmorley
    Options

I thought that too but I bought it from Andertons. They must have had some early stock. :)

• Kymeia
    Kymeia NKS User Library Mod Posts: 3,802 mod
    edited October 2023
    Options

I’m a bit confused by that, Series III are MIDI 2 compliant devices, are they not?

I know there was a bug with that checkbox in previous versions of Logic but the latest version fixed those

• Matthew_NI
    Options

"Lastly, if this is still not working, try using a USB-C hub (ensure it's a data, not just a power connection). Sometimes USB-C inputs can be finicky."

You could also find that front port works fine, until randomly and inconsistently it does not. USB-C hubs seem to be the only reliable solution on certain computer brands. It's non-specific to our keyboards, but can affect all USB-C ports. I've seen this affect other peripherals.

• ArfaGrekos
    ArfaGrekos Member Posts: 3 Newcomer
    Options

guys the issue with the Kontrol mk3 is the usb type c needs to go into the older bigger usb leads into the Mac/ usb hub.

NI should of explained this so we don't pay through the nose then get frustrated when plugging in our new shiny toys lol.

#LUHG

• lcmorley
    edited January 8
    Options

I have recently started seeing issues again with my Komplete S61 MK3. For some reason when using Logic, for anything other than a Native Instrument plugin (Komplete Kontrol, Kontact etc), it just goes straight into DAW mode and won't move out of it. It would be good to be able to use this as a MIDI controller too with other non Native Instruments plugins but I am currently unable to. All I can do is use the keybed. I have purchased a usb-c hub and connected that to my machine and connected the Komplete S61 to it and that does nothing. Still the same issue. I also tried to upgrade to Sonoma and Logic 10.8.1 but still have the same issue. Any suggestions because this is getting really frustrating now.

Again, I am using a Mac Studio M1 machine.

A bit more information which may help. When I open previous Logic projects where the S61 was working previously, it appears to be fine. However, new projects seem to cause an issue. Perhaps there is a setting in Logic that I need to set?

Midi 2.0 is unchecked as you mentioned in a previous post above so that is not the issue.