Expansions Issue with Komplete Kontrol Software 3.0

Options

Answers

• Tim_NI
    Tim_NI Product Team Posts: 42 mod
    Options

Thank you @mattse and @RobertDorn - we really appreciate you taking the time to help us find the root cause of this issue. Could you possibly let me know the following: computer model, macOS version, DAW version and if you are using Rosetta?

As I thought might be the case, I am unfortunately not seeing the CPU spikes on my MacBook Pro M1 Max, Ventura 13.6, Logic Pro 10.7.9 / Pro Tools 23.3.0.89. I will keep digging directly and also share the projects with colleagues using different systems to narrow down the variables.

People are also reporting CPU spikes with Kontakt 7.6.1 (released last week), and this again seems to be on specific systems. It is possible that the issue is with Kontakt, or that the issues are stacking on top of each other to make things even worse. I would assume that it is the latter as it sounds like rolling back to to KK2.9.4 addresses the issue.

We do now have an in-house repro of the Kontakt issue with a Mac Studio Ultra - I will ask for KK3.0 to be checked on the same system while I continue to here.

• RobertDorn
    RobertDorn Member Posts: 40 Member
    Options

Hi Tim! I’m having the issues on a MacBook Pro M2 Max chip, 96GB of ram. Under Ventura 13.6 in ProTools 2023.9 . Kontakt is on the latest version, reverting back to kk2.9.4 did the trick for me. However when back in the studio I’d be happy to open a kontakt instance instead of Komplete kontrol in a session to see if it runs smoothly. I attached the PT file in a direct message to you.

• Tim_NI
    Options

Thanks for the additional info 👍 It would be great if you could try Kontakt directly to see if you observe any spikes.

• B.Minor
    B.Minor Member Posts: 178 Advisor
    edited October 2023
    Options

@Tim_NI:

Just before leaving for his well-deserved vacation, Matthew_NI mentioned in this thread...

https://community.native-instruments.com/discussion/comment/101146#Comment_101146

...that NI development team would be already working on a new KK V2.9.5 release.

I'm aware that the release of a bug-fixed KK V3.0.1 seems to have priority over all other KK-related activities, just because of MK3 keyboard owners who need to be served first. However, may I ask you which kind of improvements you have in mind for the announced KK V2.9.5 version?

Will it mainly include some improvements for MK1 owners, e.g. in order to satisfy them with a "final" version they will be able to keep on using safely for the next few years, or will it also bring some new stuff MK2 owners can still benefit from?

I'm asking those questions from the perspective of an MK2 owner having purchased that keyboard half a year ago but also having experienced recently that KK V3.X can't currently compete with its KK V2.X predecessors, especially in terms of functionality and workflow.

Nevertheless, it's really nice to see that the KK V2.X stream hasn't been fully discontinued yet by NI. Thanks in advance for your information.

• RobertDorn
    RobertDorn Member Posts: 40 Member
    Options

Hi Tim! Took a moment to check it out. I could record a little piece with up to 3 instances, after trying to record midi notes onto a 4th instance, I got the same error message with the latest Kontakt as with Komplete Kontrol 3.0 . Using Komplete Kontrol 2.9.4 with the latest Kontakt version installed doesn't give any system overload issues, as long as I just don't use the latest Kontakt plugin , but Komplete Kontrol 2.9.4 instead. With 2.9.4 I can practically use a limitless amount of instances in a very busy mix session on my MacBook M2 Max with 96GB of ram, Ventura 13.6, ProTools 2023.9, without any issues.

• Tim_NI
    Options

Thanks Robert - this is really helpful information.

It seems that there is a variable certain systems that is causing this. We have some early theories which the Engineers are now looking into. They will need a bit of time from here, but it is obviously a hot-fix topic and they will release a fix to this and the other early issues as soon as possible (the current plan is to release multiple times as soon as each issue is fixed rather than hold any of them back). I am on vacation next week, but other colleagues are in the forums should anything new come to light or there be further information to share.

Thanks again - we all really appreciate you taking the time to look into this and support us with getting to a fix!

• Barry Doublet
    Barry Doublet Member Posts: 16 Member
    Options

Hi Everyone,

I would just like to add to this as I have some strange things happen with version 3.0 involving my Spitfire library.

I am on Window 10 pro by the way.

First time I installed v3 it found 2 out of my 3 Spitfire instruments. See below. You'll also notice that the "brands" include Scarbee and Tim Exile

I cleared out the database for KK by deleting the file in "Appdata" and the second time around I got this result

I have uninstalled and reinstalled v3 and deleted the database. All I get is just my Albion One and not my Epic Choir or BBC SO.

Although they are still accessible in the Instrument dropdown menu, but without the cool keyboard information.

Fingers crossed v3.01 is around the corner soon

Thanks for listening =)

• Vagus
    Vagus Member Posts: 416 Guru
    Options

It's worth checking the service center folder to see if the XMLs are in there. If not, they won't show as that folder is scanned for 3rd party products l.

• ilikemyrealname
    ilikemyrealname Member Posts: 1 Member
    Options

I noticed expansions missing as well. I'm also having issues with 3.0 in PT 2023.9 under Montery 12.7 with a MacBook Pro M1 Pro 16gb. NI instruments will just stop playing, not passing any audio. I've had this happen on sessions with 10+ KK instances or as small as just 1 KK instance. My System Usage during these issues show as fine, no CPU spikes, ram is far from maxed out. If I stop playback for a few seconds and try again, it seems to go away but sometimes only a few instruments will return. Then I have to stop a little longer and then a few more will return. Rinse and repeat until they're all back. Until the cycle starts again.

If I don't stop playback when one or more NI instruments aren't passing audio, as if all the audio that should have played was cached, all at once everything will play...in one VERY loud burst. It's wildly jarring. First time this happened, it left me white skinned with numb hands and feet. I'm gonna roll back to V2 until these V3 issues get sorted out.

• Jamie Hunter
    Jamie Hunter Member Posts: 28 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options

Yes I am experiencing the same issue. I have over 30 expansions and only 8 are showing in the loops section and 12 in one shots. Also I can no longer grab and drop the samples into Studio One, I have to find them in explorer and drag them from there. Instruments are also taking a long time to load in KK 3.0 and I'm experiencing freezes where the only option is to kill Studio One and reload it, this is making KK 3.0 unusable.

• Barry Doublet
    Barry Doublet Member Posts: 16 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options

Could you tell me how to check this?

Just to note, after deleting the database and reactivating KK, these instruments are found as the library builds it self. But again, not displayed in Kontrol.

• Bruno_NI
    Bruno_NI Product Team Posts: 5 mod
    Options

Hi,

The Loops are displayed under the One-Shots tab. This is a bug that is logged now.

The hanging issue is also logged and a fix is on its way.

Thanks all for reporting.

Cheers.

• Glenn Rueger
    Glenn Rueger Member Posts: 13 Member
    Options

I'd like to chime in that my system has gone nutso since I clicked that innocent looking "update" button to KK 3.0.1 I have Spitfire Symphonic Brass pane previewing some guitar - lots of nice previews but they are not horns; I have Symphony Strings Prof'l not loading samples because all it wants are the old BML Mural samples (which actually do load and play). Rescanned in Komplete Kontrol and it crashed, generating a report blaming scan app. Kontakt 7.6.1 froze and needed Force Quit. It's a big, bloody mess over here. Mac Studio M2Max 96GB, OS 13.6, KK 3.0.1

• Gina Fant-Simon
    Gina Fant-Simon Member Posts: 4 Member
    Options

I am in hell in Pro Tools 2023.9 and Ventura after updating to KK 3... It won't run at all in Rosetta mode. None of my KK instruments will play.

And in Native mode, it does play, but I get errors every few minutes....

Should I revert back to KK 2.9?

Thanks anyone!

Gina in Austin

gina@blueworldav.com

• Martin_NI
    Martin_NI Product Team Posts: 24 mod
    Options

Hey all,

We are planning to have another release of Komplete Kontrol 3 in the next week to fix the loops appearing in the samples section. This fix should also address some of the performance issues reported.