Feedback - Komplete Kontrol 3.0

Options

Comments

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,635 Expert
    Options

When using as a plugin in Cubase, there's a four second gap after selecting a brand, before the available instruments can be scrolled.

Yep, yet another thing I raised in the beta at how slow the browser worked when selecting tags or vendors. I have 5 second delay most of the time. I did not even dare test in a DAW, all my tests were just standalone and I could only imagine the performance hit within a DAW.

Guess performance was another of those things not deemed important for the initial release...

• Matthew_NI
    Matthew_NI Product Team Posts: 911 mod
    Options

Sub banks should be selectable - they are for me here at least. I'll see if we can repro that.

• Matthew_NI
    Options

I and my team are the powers that be.

Hopefully, I've addressed the reasons why in my initial post here, as well as the paths forward.

Certainly there's no long term desire to make things more closed. Such a mindset would do us no favors (unhappy users en masse, bad for business).

I'm thinking it might be worth me authoring and publishing a more detailed Dev Talks blog on this topic. I'd be able to go a little deeper than responding ad hoc here and there.

• JesterMgee
    Options

I bought it up in the beta a while back and it may have been addressed but also, it shows the names heavily truncated because of the tiny size of that area.

I have not dared to reinstall the V3 again to test but I had a user tell me in mail today it was one of many issues they are now finding.

The KK team is gonna be busy for a while I would think...

• Vagus
    Vagus Member Posts: 417 Guru
    Options

I double checked this - it works for Factory, and even some user - but for some presets that work in Maschine with Sub Banks that are user created - because we all had to find a way to do it - it doesn't work.

Totally get why that's not supported - but I'm surprised there's a difference in them being displayed in Maschine / Kontakt / KK. It works in the first two apps.

• Matthew_NI
    Options

We're always busy. I've some confidence we're busy working on the right set of things at least, as the feedback thus far is expected and has a place in our forthcoming roadmap.

• Matthew_NI
    Options

We fixed a significant memory leak during the beta period that was responsible for the bulk of the slowness as reported.

I'd like to dig into what you're seeing now offline, because we're definitely not a 5 second delay selecting tags. I'm seeing it instant, in standalone, and in all supported DAWs.

Could you send over a video (you have my email)? Thanks!

• Matthew_NI
    Options

There shouldn't be a difference. If there is, that's something I can look at with the team.

• Matthew_NI
    Options

So I'm now seeing two reports of this - for which we're seeing the complete opposite on our end.

What's your system configuration?

• Matthew_NI
    Options

Look - we can agree to disagree, but we have to be reasonable and fair.

Nothing was rushed. We've been working on this for over a year, and in beta for months (the latter of which you know). Rather, not everything everybody wants was yet brought forth during the tech transition (which, as someone with access to beta, you also know). That is quite different to rushing anything. Change is hard, even if it isn't for everyone, all at once, it is for many. I'd also suggest it's a little disingenuous to suggest to anyone they hold off on purchasing a MK3 when you yourself have yet to use or experience one.

I can assure you that the most productive way to influence change is to continue participating in the conversations here, and within the beta program, where both I and my team are present, and where we've continued to iterate. As a member of beta, those conversations are expected to remain confidential, as we share a lot more sooner than we can and do publicly, so please try and refrain from recounting. If what you're suggesting is a campaign against us, that's not particularly productive. Those who speak loudest are not always heard, and do not always represent the views of the majority to the extent that they might think they do.

I've already laid out in other threads, including this comment some of the why behind our approach, and subsequent paths forward. This is how, and where the productive conversations will be had.

• Matthew_NI
    Options

Who is we?

As I've said elsewhere - one tries to strike a balance between a number of user types and use cases. You may want more presets and more information. Power users often do. And I've laid out the response to that particular issue.

• JesterMgee
    Options

But WHY so many changes no one asked for? I get there is some new underlying code needs but there is no need for so many of hte (what I consider) pointless design decisions like the complete backwards way to browsing that now makes it less intuitive than the old Akai Advance software.

Why move the browser to the other side, make it not show when you browse a plugin, make the editing of tags so hard, make only 8 instruments show at a time, force more mouse clicks and display LESS overall information in the same space while also not including a single user feature asked for in 10 years. I get you have a vision, but it is far from what I believe users are asking for.

Surely if you have used KK for any serious length of time you would have instantly discovered it is far less usable than it was before when used from the computer itself (lets forget hardware for a moment). Surely in every day testing back there you would have found that sub banks are not selectable (if this is for user only created files then we need to have this addressed), that clicking on the controls for the VST parm list is cut short, than memory usage was ever increasing (why was that undiscovered in multiple applications until I raised it as an issue in the Beta).

Not sure many companies realise how infuriating it is when the whole eco system people have used is just completely changed on them and not for the seemingly better and I am sorry, but after now 10 years of waiting for some very simple requests from users to be considered to now have not only NONE of them considered but also the while experience to be trashed, fills me with no confidence at all when I hear "We have plan for the future". 2065 is a long way off

I have not retested since that bug was addressed, I just have no time/interest at the current moment so spend an hour installing again, scanning again (because the database does not migrate between V2/3 either).

The issue I refer to was not specifically a memory leak issue, it was a performance issue in how the database is now dynamically adjusting the new method in displaying the tags from what I can gather. The memory issue was the more you browse and use the app the larger the memory footprint grew likely because cached image/data was not being disposed of correctly when browsing.

I'd like to help more in testing but at the moment anyway, i'm personally disappointed in how V3 functions I just don't want to invest my time to be bothered and will simply stick with V2 for the next few months.

• Matthew_NI
    edited October 2023
    Options

You're touching on perhaps the most important point: "why so many changes no one asked for?"

Those present in this forum, myself included, tend to represent a particular type of power user, who explore any given product in far greater depth than most, and understandably be the most vocal about it. We're tens to hundreds of people who use it daily, but not every desire of ours is shared by the many hundreds of thousands (or more) of others, and vice versa.

A more honest question might be "why so many changes I or those-like-me didn't ask for?". I will continue to patiently explain why, and lay out the path forward, as I have in response to several of the questions raised in my earlier posts.

I'd also like to respond more bluntly and transparently to your question on "why was that undiscovered in multiple applications until I raised it as an issue in the Beta". It's simply unacceptable to criticize the presence of bugs in beta, given one of the main reasons of a beta program is to provide test coverage for in-progress developments across an exponentially larger number of system configurations. If an issue has slipped through certain test variables, and is found in beta, that's a success in a private forum, not a failure to be flamed in a public forum.

• Matthew_NI
    Options

The transition to the new browser is already better for most, but I concede and agree, not all, at least not yet.

I won't bore you with details of more planned browser progress, but this is a very good point you've raised in the present. This came up in beta, as well.

Very, very, very few people use Komplete Kontrol for librarian-esque control over their non-plug-in content (e.g. audio samples, to drag and drop from the browser into a granular synth plug-in). Frankly, it's disappointing, as we invested quite a bit of effort in this area over the years. Most users actually select and tweak the presets already present within the product and move on.

So when bringing the new browser in, the ability to drag and drop from the new browser to hosted plug-in wasn't a high enough priority on the long list o' initial things. It's on the list (there are many ways it could work), but I understand entirely why you'd be frustrated until you see a resolution.

• Matthew_NI
    Options

Does not land as difficult, at all. It's much appreciated feedback. Hopefully you'll see this addressed in one of our upcoming updates.

This discussion has been closed.