Issues playing external synths with Maschine+ via midi

Options
tribepop
tribepop Member Posts: 160 Advisor
edited October 2023 in Maschine

I’m having some issues trying to get my M+ controller to send midi notes to external synths via midi with an Arturia keystep in between.

My current setup is:

MAS+ -> Keystep -> Midi Thru Hub -> External Synths

I’m wanting to feed the keystep directly into the midi hub so that I can utilize aftertouch on my external synths but I also want to be able to control them using the MAS+ controller. When I play keys on the keystep I can see the pads for that sound light up in Maschine but when I press the pads they don’t sent any midi data out. I currently have the Keystep plugged in to the M+ via usb and the midi output of the M+ going into the midi input on the keystep. The midi output settings for that sound slot are set to output to the midi output port on the M+.

If I instead plug the key-step into the M+ and then plug the midi out of the M+ into the midi hub then it works but I don’t get the aftertouch functionality because the keystep is going through Maschine so it ignores that data.

Am I missing something here? I would have figured that the M+ should be able to send midi data through the keystep port and have it get forwarded to the appropriate synth on whatever channel I specify in Maschine. It’s weird that it register the notes on the pads when I play the keystep but nothing happens when I actually press the pads. Once NI adds aftertouch functionality into Maschine then I shouldn’t have to do this as the keystep going into Maschine should pick up the aftertouch.

Best Answer

• LostInFoundation
    LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,309 Expert
    Answer ✓
    Options

As far as I know, Keystep midi needs to be set up in its software to decide if it is a midi out or midi thru. Have you checked fore mentioned software?

Answers

• LostInFoundation
    LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,309 Expert
    Answer ✓
    Options

As far as I know, Keystep midi needs to be set up in its software to decide if it is a midi out or midi thru. Have you checked fore mentioned software?

• PK The DJ
    PK The DJ Member Posts: 1,157 Guru
    edited October 2023
    Options

The Keystep doesn't have a MIDI thru port, so of course the MIDI from Maschine+ will only reach the Keystep.

It won't get passed thru the Keystep (unless it has a setting to merge data and send MIDI out and thru from the same port).

Also, connecting the M+ and Keystep via USB and MIDI at the same time doesn't sound wise.

• tribepop
    tribepop Member Posts: 160 Advisor
    edited October 2023
    Options

@lostandfound @PK The DJ Ah no I didn’t know that was a setting I had to set on the Arturia software, I’ll take a look and report back, thanks!

UPDATE: Yep, it was a setting on the keystep so not Maschine related at all, my bad. I guess I figured midi thru was kind of enabled by default on most controllers. Everything works great now, except for Maschine not having aftertouch but hopefully that will be a thing of the past soon.

• PK The DJ
    PK The DJ Member Posts: 1,157 Guru
    Options

Excellent news!