Export Ensemble as VST/AU or use in max/msp

Options
ml4
ml4 Member Posts: 6 Newcomer

Hello

I've been searching for ages for a way to either visualise a Reaktor 6 ensemble in max/msp, to use a Reaktor ensemble as a vst or au plugin.

Do I export the ensemble as a different format?

The manual says I can load ensembles into a DAW.

Thanks

Tagged:

Comments

• Kymeia
    Kymeia NKS User Library Mod Posts: 3,802 mod
    edited September 2023
    Options

You can load ensembles in a DAW by using the Reaktor plugin. It is not a plugin building environment, instead it comes as a plugin itself, and ensembles and racks are loaded within it. If you are reading the manual then it should explain how to do that too.

• ml4
    Options

Thanks for the swift reply.

The getting started guide talks about it being a plugin but does not say how to start it as a plugin, if the plugin needs explicitly downloading etc. I also cannot see this suitably explained in the diving deeper guide either. Where do I get this plugin?

Thanks

• Kymeia
    Options

The plugin version is installed with Reaktor, so if you have Reaktor installed, as long as you didn’t deselect the plugin versions, you should already have them. Look in the plugin menu in whatever DAW you use

• ml4
    edited September 2023
    Options

Thanks again for the swift reply.

Well in the max patcher, I edit the vst component, and select Files>AudioUnits>Reaktor6 (or Reaktor6 MFX) and after a brief wheel of death, the cursor returns to normal, but nothing happens.

It may be that the outputs from the component are then internally wired to Reaktor, but there's nothing intuitive I can find which explains what I'm expecting to see - hence my OP.

I'm still working out the correct OSC messages to send from Max to Reaktor to trigger the right settings and buttons in the Ensemble, but that's with me running it as a Reaktor standalone, with the current intention to always run it separately and then use Rogue Amoeba kit (soundflower doesn't work on M1 Macs atm) to wire the Reaktor audio out and back into Max/MSP for further processing.

But as the manual says I can use Reaktor ensembles in a DAW, I'm struggling to work out this happens in Max/MSP. Live was easier, but I'm trying to free myself from the timeline. I cannot find explicit instructions on use of the Reaktor Plugin.

• Kymeia
    Options

I don’t know much about Max but I thought it had a plugin loader? Once the Reaktor plugin is loaded then you can load ensembles from the browser or build your own. I think you need to study the manual some more

• ml4
    Options

OK for anyone else coming here, the Reaktor plugin is not a file found on disk as I was initially expecting.

Unlocking the Max patcher, hover over the vst~ or audiounit~ component on the left side to get the disclosure triangle and click to open the menu, then `Files - AudioUnit - Reaktor 6`. The app will pause while it loads Reaktor in the background. Nothing will happen visibly.

In order to see Reaktor's window (which will be a separate window from the Max patcher, unlike Live for instance where it is rendered in the window), hook up an open component to inlet 1 of the audiounit~ component, and lock the patcher, then click the open message and the audio unit window with Reaktor 6 in it will appear.

Note there are annotations to the component which control autosave of the state of the au in max, which is a separate topic and depends on the version of Max you're running.