Roland DP-10 continuous not working in Kontakt 6

Options
Riyu26
Riyu26 Member Posts: 6 Newcomer
edited September 2023 in Komplete Kontrol

Hi there!

I just bought a Roland DP-10 to replace my other pedal (that is a on/off switch). The dp-10 has a continuous mode, I would like to use it for sustain in my piano libraries in Kontakt 6 directly (I'm not using a DAW, I just play through Kontakt directly).

The problem is, it doesn't work, as, it's not sustaining anything. Sometimes it will act as a permanent sustain for some reason though, I have no idea why. When I switch it to the «expression» port on my midi controller (M-Audio Hammer-88), it displays the red square next to the CC in midi automation and it works properly for any automation I select. But it doesn't display anything if it's set as a sustain pedal (unless I use it in switch mode, it works in that case (but it's reversed somehow)).

Midi Controller #64 is set as Pedal + CC in the instrument options. I tried all 3 options, nothing changed. Is there anywhere else can change stuff? I'm not that familiar with the software, I generally just open the piano vst and play. Also all the posts I can find are for Komplete Kontrol even if I specifically search for Kontakt.

NB : Also another issue, seems like «Repedaling» never works no matter what I try. Any tips?

Best Answer

• Uwe303
    Uwe303 Moderator Posts: 3,095 mod
    edited September 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

here set your keyboard set win 10 64 or mac os - show results - and you can download the editor and the firmware updater M-Audio

Answers

• Uwe303
    edited September 2023
    Options

Hello,

with what piano libraries you tried it? I now tried the giant; the gentleman; the maverick; una corda and the grandeur and damper works there fine on all libraries.

from the manual of the m-audio

2. SUSTAIN: This input accepts a momentary-contact foot pedal (not included). When pressed, the pedal by default will sustain the sound you are playing without you having to keep your fingers pressed down on the keys. The sustain pedal input can be remapped to perform a custom MIDI assignment. Note: The polarity of the sustain pedal is determined by the keyboard upon startup. When a Hammer 88 Pro keyboard is powering up, the sustain pedal is assumed to be in the "up" (Off) position. It is important that the sustain pedal is not in the down position before starting up the keyboard, as the pedal will then operate in reverse, and notes will sustain when the pedal is not pressed.

3. FS 2 / FS 3: These 1/4" TS inputs accept a soft pedal, such as the M-Audio SP-2 pedal, to soften the notes and modify the tonal quality. The footswitch inputs are fully assignable to CC messages.

so the sustain input does not accept continuous controllers, only switches, you can use FS2 instead and set it as you need. And if you want to switch polarity you set min to 127 and max to 0 in the settings.

• Riyu26
    edited September 2023
    Options

Hey Uwe303,

Interesting! So I forgot to check the manual for my midi controller indeed. I guess that'll be all there is to it. Any way I could use the EXP (FS3 I guess from the manual) backport with the continuous pedal as the sustain one? I'd have no idea how to set that up.

If it's not possible, I might just use the DP-10 for modulation probably like a pedal to soften the notes like the una corda pedal on a real piano. At one point then I might just upgrade my «piano» 😁

• Uwe303
    Options

you can do what you want just use the FS input and set it manually to cc 64 and min\max values to 0 - 127

To edit the functionality of the FS2 (footswitch 2) input when in Preset Edit Mode, press the footswitch. You can scroll through the available parameter values using the Encoder. Select what parameter you would like to edit by pressing the Encoder.

• Latch: When Latch is enabled, the pedal will send one value when pressed and a different value when pressed a second time, alternating between the two values with each press (“latching” or “toggle” behavior). When Latch is disabled, the pedal will send one value when pressed and one value when released (“momentary” behavior).

• Chan: The sustain pedal will send its messages over this channel. Select the global channel (Global), a specific channel (Channel 1–16), a zone (Zone 1–4), or all channels (Omni).

• CC: The sustain pedal will send its MIDI messages using this CC number.

• Min: The lowest program in the range of programs will correspond with this value.

• Max: The highest program in the range of programs will correspond with this value.

• Riyu26
    Options

I see! I'm not really sure where to go first (the Preset Edit Mode, and the Encoder?). Is this the right place?

Thanks for all the info, sorry ahah still not clear where I have to go, I never touched parameters like these !

• Uwe303
    edited September 2023
    Options

You have to set it up directly on the keyboard, it will work with most, if not all pianos in kontakt right away, i would highly recommend to read the manual, it´s a really great keyboard with lot´s of cool functions - so reading the manual could help to use it to it´s full potential. Page 40: Hammer 88 Pro User Guide v1.0 (m-audio.com)

• Riyu26
    Options

Ah I forgot to tell you, I have the Hammer 88, not the pro version, I only have a volume slider, 1 mod wheel, pitch, and 3 outputs for pedals. Nothing else 😅 probably why I never bothered with any manual, it's probably the most basic midi controller.

• Uwe303
    Options

ok then the sustain input works also for continuous cc signals, the setup is the same. Have you even installed the M audio hammer 88 preset editor? that could help to setup it more easily.

• Uwe303
    edited September 2023
    Options
  • Uwe303
    edited September 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

here set your keyboard set win 10 64 or mac os - show results - and you can download the editor and the firmware updater M-Audio

• Riyu26
    Options

Oh wow I wasn't aware of such thing! I'll definitely try this tonight when I have some dedicated time for it. Thanks a lot!! I will give update if it worked !

• Riyu26
    Options

Sorry for the delay, didn't have time, I tried it today, it's working perfectly! Thanks again Uwe :)