The Maschine 4 (Speculative) Thread

Comments

• tempsperdu
    tempsperdu Member Posts: 424 Pro

nightjar

Connect the dots and you have a shared foundation that can be built upon with fresh technology.

The current 'events against a timeline' with Maschine are severely restricted, arguably in both good and bad ways.

I believe a lot of the speed and ease of use with Maschine was due to its restriction of not having free-form lengths, something that when producing any repetitive form of music can be an aid as opposed to a drawback. Introducing clips made that far clunkier, and breaking the duplication completely destroyed the workflow that had been used for years by some.

Having an onboard CPU is still going to depend on how versatile and efficiently Maschine is programmed. It's arguable that it wasn't a lack of an onboard CPU that stopped Clips being implemented in a far more elegant and useful fashion or Automation to be properly editable and therefore useful. Similarly, it wasn't causing the lack of user mandated chord libraries. Plugin Delay Compensation, adjustable time signatures, efficient usage of multithreading, or anything else that users have been begging and pleading for for years upon end.

• nightjar
    nightjar Member Posts: 1,322 Guru

Better to have the ability to do more and limit a sub-set when it is helpful.

And a shared foundation of new technology might certainly enable a more efficient and thereby more fruitful use of all resources.

throwing good money after bad needed to stop.

• tempsperdu

nightjar

throwing good money after bad needed to stop.

No doubt in your head, that statement has a clearly delineated backstory, but one that only you are privy to.

We all have our personal versions of what were good and bad decisions regarding Maschine, but they are personal versions unless we attempt to properly elucidate them to others.

What do you think was a case of throwing good money after bad?

What exactly do you mean by new technology, and how do you see that addressing any of the myriad of issues people have with Maschine?

• ozon
    ozon Member Posts: 1,649 Expert

@tempsperdu complained that

breaking the duplication completely destroyed the workflow that had been used for years by some

and later wisely pointed out that

We all have our personal versions of what were good and bad decisions regarding Maschine, but they are personal versions unless we attempt to properly elucidate them to others.

Personally, I would appreciate a lot if you could apply the latter to the former. Thank you.

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 3,009 Expert

IMHO, it is easier to handle features within computer application instead of HW. If the features are HW implemented, than one has to maintain several firmwares of one generation of HW. And posiibly of two or even three generations if one wants to be customer friendly...... </br>

So, .... if NI moves features to HW and removes them from future new Maschine..... It has either also update firmware of Mk1, Mk2, MK3 (if possible) or users may throw older controllers and keyboards to trash....

Also NI do it so that Maschine maintains the features for older HW. Or respective drivers of them..... For some time.... Maybe few years....

• nightjar
    edited October 2023

The CPU and programming environment of new MK3 keyboards might also be more friendly to shared development with desktop environment vs MK2, meaning that "Play Assist+ (Machine 4?) might function independently on either platform.

More $$ Stand Alone device?.. We got that!

Cheaper Computer-dependent?.. We got that too!

And both with a more efficient development path shared with other NI products.

Old products will chug along with a feature-frozen version of current SW.

• tempsperdu

ozon

Personally, I would appreciate a lot if you could apply the latter to the former. Thank you.

Apologies and certainly....................

The legacy behaviour of the duplication was such that if you duplicated a section, it became numbered with the next available 'free' number, making it easy to see where you were and how your piece had developed.

As a lot of music works on repetition or slight variations of such, then say I wanted four segments of basically the same thing, however many groups I had I simply duplicated the section four times, and it was there arranged in numerical sequence. If I wanted to make changes, I just altered the relevant patterns.

Ultra quick, ultra easy.

Now I have to rename anything I duplicate as I do it to keep the sequential numbering, or I have to go in ideas view and add segments in there, having to select each pattern. Also, there are discrepancies of behaviour if I mix duplication in Ideas view or Arranger.

Now I fully understand that not everybody works that way and there had been calls to change the duplication behaviour, however as far as I remember many of those calling for changes weren't happy in the way it was changed either, expecting something else.

This is what happens when you don't communicate ideas with users and try to come to workable solutions.

For the life of me, I don't understand why there was no dialogue at all with users before changing it, and nor do I understand why the legacy behaviour couldn't be kept as an option in preferences.

Alternatively, how hard would it have been to introduce a right click 'renumber sequence sequentially' ?

• tempsperdu

I'm sorry, but you don't seem to be answering or explaining anything here.

• nightjar

I am sure I won't be heavily disappointed. Frustrated a bit perhaps by speed of development.

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 3,255 mod
    edited October 2023

The CPU and programming environment of new MK3 keyboards might also be more friendly to shared development with desktop environment vs MK2, meaning that "Play Assist+ (Machine 4?) might function independently on either platform.

The KKS MK3 just has more 'brains' than the MK2 thus can hold more software and do more... This says absolutely nothing about it being more or less 'friendly to shared development with desktop environment', actually it's hard to believe it could be any more friendly than programming for the M+ linux OS, unless it runs mac or windows... which obviously is not a thing.

The big question should be:

• Can the HW on the M+ also do whatever the brains of the KKSMK3 will be able to do in regards to Smart Play?
    • Does it even make sense to expect direct MIDI Out / Smart Play on a 4/4 device while skipping MAS SW? It sure does on a keyboard but on an M+ ? Not so sure it does... (Keep in mind MIDI Mode is disabled if in Standalone Mode)
    • What are we talking about here, a super fancy MIDI Mode? A 3rd bootable OS Mode in addition to Standalone and Controller Mode?
    • Can the M+ even access it's computer to do fancy things if it boots in Controller Mode?
    • Does it really take a new M+ model for it to more closely match a KKS-MK3 feature set?
  • nightjar

Forget the current M+ in the context of the future….

And friendlier can mean more equally capable to be worth the effort.

who wants to waste effort on something underpowered for the needs of the next few years?

• Percivale
    Percivale Member Posts: 219 Pro
    edited October 2023

Add

1. When will BT on M+ be activated and if it does what purpose would that be. Does MK3 KKs have WiFi and BT not activated.

2. M+ hardware supports true MIDI 2.0?

3. Let's add in generative AI into the mix since it's trending and NI should call in Power Play rather than Play Assist.

Hey we can speculate.

• LostInFoundation
    LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,407 Expert

About BLE MIDI

No need for new keyboards. The reason I would like BLE MIDI is to be able to use many midi apps from my iPad to control Maschine. Scaler 2, piano roll apps that are better than the one in Maschine, arpeggiators, my Loopy Pro template to control Maschine,… Name it.

Could you expand on “Audio would be silly”? I don’t get it. Audio would be managed by Maschine anyway, as it is now

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 3,255 mod
    edited October 2023

BLE MIDI would be great.

Mainly due to high latency and overall audio quality, BT audio is designed for media consumption not realtime music production... I would imagine tons of complaints from newbies with unrealistic expectations. High bandwidth requirements for audio also doesn't pair well with how easy it is to get signal degradation / interference in BT.

This discussion has been closed.