Is it possible to hide an available update?

Options
nico5
nico5 Member Posts: 49 Helper
edited September 2023 in Native Access

Is it possible to hide an available update in Native Access?

I don't want to update some of the Kontakt libraries, because they now require Kontakt 7, which I don't have.

And while I could use them in the Kontakt 7 Player, I don't want to lose any extra editing capabilities for those libraries, which are now available to me in the full version of Kontakt 6, which I do have.

So in effect an "upgrade" of those libraries would be end up being a downgrade for me. And I want to avoid that.

Tagged:

Best Answer

• LostInFoundation
    LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,300 Expert
    Answer ✓
    Options

Quick answer is no.

But…don’t give for granted that on many of the libraries loading them in a Kontakt full version is a lot different than loading them in a player version. Often commercial Kontakt libraries doesn’t allow for deep editing (as an example, you can’t even use their samples to build your own version of the instrument).

So…you could try to use also the K7 Player version together with your 6 Full and see which libraries have big differences. And in case update the other ones

Answers

• LostInFoundation
    Answer ✓
    Options

Quick answer is no.

But…don’t give for granted that on many of the libraries loading them in a Kontakt full version is a lot different than loading them in a player version. Often commercial Kontakt libraries doesn’t allow for deep editing (as an example, you can’t even use their samples to build your own version of the instrument).

So…you could try to use also the K7 Player version together with your 6 Full and see which libraries have big differences. And in case update the other ones

• darkogav
    darkogav Member Posts: 70 Member
    Options

There might be, but why do you want to do that? I did have to tweak a registry key for NA2 to stop it showing a false positive. So I am guess there is a way to change a registry key to turn off an update as well.

• nico5
    Options

Quick answer is no.

thanks for confirming - that's what I was afraid of, since I couldn't find any evidence of that either.

😒

• nico5
    Options

why do you want to do that?

I explained that in my original post.

• LostInFoundation
    Options

You could tag the thread as feature request, since @Hayo_NI and friends said they are working/thinking about adding things in that field (hiding updates could go well with adding uninstall e.g., even work related speaking)

• nico5
    Options

You could tag the thread as feature request

Good idea - thanks!

• nico5
    Options

For my use case there’s nothing in Kontakt 7 that makes it worth upgrading to. And I want to keep my libraries at full functionality in my full Kontakt 6, rather than reduced functionality in Kontakt Player 7.

So I’m motivated to keep my Kontakt libraries not updated.

Having to dance around undesirable upgrades, while allowing desirable one’s in Native Access is currently seriously de-motivating me from upgrading to the new Guitar Rig, which otherwise would look like an attractive upgrade for my use case. 

• Vocalpoint
    Vocalpoint Member Posts: 973 Guru
    Options

@nico5

"Having to dance around undesirable upgrades, while allowing desirable one’s in Native Access is currently seriously de-motivating me from upgrading to the new Guitar Rig, which otherwise would look like an attractive upgrade for my use case." 

I am now a huge advocate of making updates "hidden" specifically aimed at the new Komplete Kontrol 3.0.0.

It is clear by the massive outpour of negative feedback that this is one update that no one needs right now - especially the users of any Komplete MK1 keyboards who will render their board useless if they (mistakenly) click on this update via Native Access - without knowing the current MK1 EOL backstory.

I am on an S61 MKII board and I simply do not want KKv3 anywhere near my install until such time that it is at least on par with the features/performance of KK 2.9.4

VP

• chk071
    chk071 Member Posts: 361 Pro
    edited October 2023
    Options

@Vocalpoint Just FYI:

"It is clear by the massive outpour of negative feedback that this is one update that no one needs right now - especially the users of any Komplete MK1 keyboards who will render their board useless if they (mistakenly) click on this update via Native Access - without knowing the current MK1 EOL backstory."

It won't get "useless". The only thing which will happen is that it's not listed as a compatible and configured device in Komplete Kontrol v3 anymore. You can - still use it as generic MIDI controller with MIDI CC's in any DAW, and - you can still use it as a generic MIDI controller in Komplete Kontrol.

I really hope that mk1 users don't serially throw their keyboard in the trash now. 😂

• Vocalpoint
    Options

@chk071

"It won't get "useless". The only thing which will happen is that it's not listed as a compatible and configured device in Komplete Kontrol v3 anymore. "

Well - I was not referring specifically to the physical "keyboard" becoming "unplayable" or non-functioning - but it may as well be. I was referring to the impeding hassle factor and potential backtracking one may have to do.

If a user (with an MK1 series controller) - inadvertently installs Komplete Kontrol v 3.x over top of their perfectly good Komplete Kontrol 2.9.4 environment - and then suddenly realizes their MK1 has now a "generic" MIDI controller and their Komplete Kontrol layout is completely inaccessible - I can't think of a better word than useless in that scenario.

There are other words that will certainly cross this users mind - but I cannot say those here :)

VP

• chk071
    chk071 Member Posts: 361 Pro
    edited October 2023
    Options

I have a Novation keyboard (Novation Impulse 49), and, some years ago, Novation discontinued Automap. Sort of the same situation: I can go on using an old version of Automap (which will surely not run on Apple M1, by the way), or move on and use the keyboard as a generic MIDI controller. Frankly, no big deal to me, as Automap never really worked well for me anyway (bugs, and the fact that you have to have two versions of every plugin in your plugin folder, as you need to have the wrapped version of the plugin to use with Automap).

I also had an M-Audio Axiom 49 2nd gen keyboard, where M-Audio provided some scripts for a few common DAWs, but, after 1 or 2 versions, they just stopped providing these scripts for newer DAWs, so, you didn't have functionality for controlling the mixer stuff anymore.

It's nothing unique that older hardware/software gets discontinued. AND, in this case, people even can still use version 2.9.4. Frankly, I don't see the drama here. And, ESPECIALLY, I don't really see why they keyboards are getting "useless".

• Vocalpoint
    Options

@chk071

"It's nothing unique that older hardware/software gets discontinued. AND, in this case, people even can still use version 2.9.4. Frankly, I don't see the drama here. And, ESPECIALLY, I don't really see why they keyboards are getting "useless"

Agreed 100% - especially with KKv3 being pretty much universally panned at this point. Lots of users were super dramatic about not getting any more updates - but after this KKv3 debacle - they do not realize how good they really have it.

VP