Maschine plus multiple same model midi keyboards

Options
King swen
King swen Member Posts: 34 Member
edited September 2023 in Maschine

I'm trying to connect two Arturia Keysteps to maschine plus at the same time. When I boot up only one shows up in midi settings and only one works. I have to unplug the nonworking keyboard USB and plug back in. Then in midi options keystep changes to off. I can then turn it on and both will work. Maschine only shows one connected in midi settings at a time. So is machine only able to see two different and not the same models or brands of USB connected equipment at the same time? I want two 32 key keyboards that feel exactly the same.

This works but shouldn't maschine recognize them both without having to unplug and replug? This adds another step in setting up for performance.

Tagged:

Answers

• ozon
    ozon Member Posts: 1,358 Expert
    Options

That’s an interesting one!

And hard to test for, since only few M+ users will even two identical MIDI controllers they can hook up to the M+ via USB.

The question is whether the problem is related to the USB driver being unable to discover identical devices or the MIDI driver having difficulties to distinguish identical devices (if their global ID is the same).

Did you check whether the Keysteps are configured to identify themselves properly?

If yes, you should open a support ticket.

@Jeremy_NI @Kaiwan_NI could you try this with a couple of identical NI keyboards?

• King swen
    edited September 2023
    Options

Is there something in particular to look for on a midi device to see if it is configured to identify properly? I have one set for midi channel 1 and the other to midi channel 2. They can even play assigned different sounds at the same time. They each work. As far as I can tell they are set up correctly. I just have to unplug and replug one to get them to work. I did a firmware update and opened the midi settings for the keystep but not sure if one should have different settings than the other. Or what settings I'm looking for.

On maschine in midi settings it shows the device with a number one on the end like it could show another with the end as 2,3,4, ect.

Also, 2 NI keyboards are listed in the manual as not able to connect at the same time.

• King swen
    edited September 2023
    Options

The manual says only 1 keyboard instance is supported (search maschine 1.2.15.) So could this be the reason? @ozon

• ozon
    Options

@King swen wrote

Is there something in particular to look for on a midi device to see if it is configured to identify properly? 

I think it’s called Device ID on most synths/controllers.

Also, 2 NI keyboards are listed in the manual as not able to connect at the same time.

Which most probably relates to their own Kontrol keyboard series which directly integrate with Maschine and Komplete Kontrol.

The manual says only 1 keyboard instance is supported (search maschine 1.2.15.) So could this be the reason?

Question still is: MIDI controller or Komplete controller? At least a strong indication it was only tested with one keyboard attached.

• King swen
    Options

So I emailed support and this was the answer:

"The Maschine standalone is only able to support 1 external midi controller at a time. This means even though these keyboards are the same model, they are still considered two individual controllers. Unfortunately, we cannot guarantee functionality for both controllers at the same time."

I'm a bit confused, if M+ is only officially able to run 1 keyboard at a time. There is the ability to assign multiple keyboards to different sounds. Guess I'm lucky I can get two different to run. Might be why it freezes up rarely.

• ozon
    Options

"The Maschine standalone is only able to support 1 external midi controller at a time. This means even though these keyboards are the same model, they are still considered two individual controllers. Unfortunately, we cannot guarantee functionality for both controllers at the same time."

Thanks for sharing.

That is quite disappointing!

• King swen
    edited September 2023
    Options

After I got that email I was searching more and found a Native Instruments video showing them connecting two midi devices at the same time.

search: how to trigger maschine with external midi devices video

• LostInFoundation
    LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,307 Expert
    Options

Have you tried plugging one of the 2 keyboards with the 5 pin port instead of usb?

• King swen
    edited September 2023
    Options

No, I thought of that also but don't have a power supply for the keyboard and it adds another thing to setup. I think it would work that way for two of the same devices.

• LostInFoundation
    LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,307 Expert
    edited September 2023
    Options

In any case…I’m about to make some testing now with my M+, because I suspect support gave you a wrong answer. It should be even possible to plug a usb hub to have more controllers together. Can’t test anything double as per your case, but the answer "The Maschine standalone is only able to support 1 external midi controller at a time” should not be correct…

• King swen
    Options

I've had two different keyboards and the maschine jam running all at the same time on my maschine plus.

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,813 mod
    Options

Sorry to jump in so late. When we say "we cannot guarantee functionality for both controllers at the same time." that doesn't mean it will not work at all but that we can not guarantee functionality.

• ozon
    Options

But the first sentence quoted from the support answer is rather clear:

The Maschine standalone is only able to support 1 external midi controller at a time.

Which reads as if it supports only one external MIDI controller by design. And it’s more or less accidental if more than one works.