Ask me anything: Kontrol S-Series MK3

Comments

• SSquared
    SSquared Member Posts: 6 Member

I really like my S61 MK2 and use it all the time. It's become my main controller. I was surprised in the MK3 marketing video when track selection was demonstrated using the wheel. Glad this was asked and discussed. My heart sank reading the reply. This is actually one of the top reasons I use the MK2. Live performance where selecting a track is very quick/easy. It is the main reason I moved off my Yamaha to the KK MK2. Easy sound/track selection is much easier than having to remember A12 for this sound and B7 for that sound, etc. The KK keyboard integration with Ableton Live and quick, fast, track selection during live performance is the #1 reason I use the keyboard.

It's unfortunate this feature is now limited and makes it difficult for me to recommend for live performance.

That said, the MK2 has completely met my needs.

Question, which I don't think has been asked. I know it was asked a ton for the MK2. Will there be an option to turn off the lights on the MK3 keyboard?

• R_E_D
    R_E_D Member Posts: 36 Helper

Is there a soft switch for changing midi modes without having to pull the USB cable from the back of the unit?

• Doobox
    Doobox Member Posts: 63 Helper

Re: Play Assist...

So currently as we know if we use play assist chords inside Komplete Kontrol, we get a single note appear inside the daw each time we press a key.

When play assist ends up on board on the MK3, will this then produce, for example notes in the daw for the 1-3-5 when we press a key.

Hope that makes sense?

• Vagus
    Vagus Member Posts: 448 Guru

Matt, in what I do, this is very clear, but probably not known generally, so I'm sure a lot of people appreciated the update. Three cheers for zero bug state reports from QA.

I'm sure we'd all like the keyboards early, but ultimately, I'd like mine delivered with the firmware and resources/logistics in place, as intended. You guys are doing a difficult job of launching a product well.

I'd also like to say thank you for all the openness in repsonses; for a long time on here, it felt like we were shouting into the abyss, but I've personally seen much improved interaction with the community, and you're part of that - thank you.

An actual question though.

I already own Komplete 14CE - am I able to gift/transfer Komplete Select and the other included software if I already own it, if I've ordered directly from NI?

• Thomas Tjarnberg
    Thomas Tjarnberg Member Posts: 7 Member

I am thrilled to see the resurgence of activity from Native Instruments! First the X1, now the new S keyboard lineup. A promise of more robust hardware. And hopefully the new products will be accompanied by excellent support and customer service. I have a number of older NI products and want to share my hardware experience:

1. Fall of 2019 purchased the S61 Keyboard. It arrived with something loose and rattling inside the case. Dealers shipped a replacement.
    2. Replacement arrived, also had something rattling inside. Was different keyboard with different serial number. Dealer shipped a replacement.
    3. This one had a guide light out. They had me deal with NI tech support. They shipped a replacement with a large grease spot on the upper right case. At least the keyboard worked so I kept it. Customer support advised me to clean off spot, it would not clean off, was some kind of change in the plastic.
    4. A year later one of the keys stopped working, now out of warranty, I paid for a refurbished replacement from NI, arrived with all lights and keys working, no rattles, still have that one (for now, MK3 looks really good).
    5. Purchased a Komplete Audio 6 in 2019. It arrived with the MIDI ports not working. Took months of back and forth with customer support to finally get one exchanged with NI that worked. Still have it, is still working.
    6. Also purchased an M32 in 2020. It developed a rattle inside the upper right case after a month of playing. NI replaced it fairly quickly and the new one does not rattle

So that was my introduction to NI hardware! Also have a Machine (current model) and a Traktor S4 MK2, both work great so it hasn't been all bad. Even with all this I'm still a huge fan, use the gear with the Arturia V 9 collection and the Komplete Ultimate 14 set of instruments. Looking forward to what NKS2 and the Komplete Kontrol upgrade will do for us. And I do not use my Maschine in conjunction with the S61 MK2 so will not miss those buttons. Keep up the good work, really looking forward to what the future may bring from NI!

• Matthew_NI
    Matthew_NI Product Team Posts: 1,286 mod

A generic call for questions: I think we've answered all of them either directly, or indirectly (where multiple people had similar questions, I tried to answer once or twice).

The AMA is officially open until the 29th (and obviously the forums stay open indefinitely) but please, if we've overlooked your question, or you have a further question of any sort, please keep asking.

@Chris_NI and I aren't short of things to do, but catching up with y'all is a nice reprieve.

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 3,255 mod

Big posts when you're new or have just 1 or 2 were making the spam protection bot think you're a spammer, i manually aproved your comment.

• TapTapDoubleTap
    TapTapDoubleTap Member Posts: 14 Member

Thanks Matthew - do you mean the keyboard could ship earlier than the 31st. In which case, do I need to have a full and frank conversation with my wife, since I will be away for about a week in the middle of October? I had intended to seamlessly flog my S88 mk2 and install the S61 mk3 then just say it shrank. (Or can I choose a shipment day, potentially?)

• Lenron
    Lenron Member Posts: 6 Member

I am also someone that has had issues with the keyboard sounding majorly long to play on. It's like this horrible sound when playing the white keys.

• Lenron
    Lenron Member Posts: 6 Member

I feel the same way it's pretty useful to have. I was going to sell my s61 and upgrade but I will keep my mk2 and just get a s88 mk3 once we have accessibility access. This saves me a bit of cash for a few months I am glad I didn't preorder

I am also someone that has had issues with the keyboard sounding majorly long to play on. It's like this horrible sound when playing the white keys.

• Matthew_NI

Yes - the Kontrol S MK3 allows you to adjust the brightness of the screen, and also separately the LEDs, from 0 to 100%, and also to adjust the colour of the LEDs.

• TapTapDoubleTap
    TapTapDoubleTap Member Posts: 14 Member

"We've made investments in MIDI 2 that I'll talk about later on..."

I may have missed it, but I don't think you've expanded on this yet? I think what I'd like to know most of all is what I might expect to be able to do when my Kontrol (Midi 2 ready), my DAW (apparently about to be Midi 2 ready) and my OS (er, Apple? Hello?) are all Midi 2 enabled. Would it be easier to control the DAW somehow? Would more info from a keypress on Kontrol go to the DAW, so it would be closer to MPE? It's slightly what-if, but it's not impossible that we could see Midi 2 meaningfully available quite soon if OSs are updated. Basically, what kind of cool things could we do if this cool thing you've done is supported by other cool things?

https://community.native-instruments.com/discussion/comment/95118#Comment_95118 - this post about NKS is excellent, thank you.

And one final thing on The Fader Question: did you consider perhaps creating a fader version of Kontrol as well as the S mk3 - perhaps you could call it the F-series - and how long did it take to decide that would be far too much trouble? Slightly more seriously, it does feel like "hey, let's do both" might not be a completely stupid idea, so I'm curious to know a bit more about why it might be.

• Matthew_NI

Yes, it could. Depending on the retailer, you may be able to choose a ship date. I'm pretty sure if you buy direct from us it just ships as it ships (once shipping is open of course). You can of course buy anytime, beyond immediately.

If I may, as the owner of many keyboards and other gear besides, I've found honesty to be the best policy when considering new purchases. Particularly since I had a kid 😂🤣

• Matthew_NI

Thanks!

There's been a lot of change here for sure. But much of it lately has been rather positive and forward looking. Ultimately though, users can only judge our actions, and for the skeptics out there, I understand this will take time.

I think that you can gift/transfer in that scenario. But I'm less well versed in such matters. I might call for backup here. @Jeremy_NI - do you happen to know the answer to this question?

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 3,255 mod
    edited September 2023

Well, turns out I do have more questions, simple ones tho.

Is the USB-C data connection using USB-2.0? I reckon it is but want to make sure.

Also, does the USB-C port meant for power only have PD (Power Delivery trigger)? Meaning, can we use much higher voltage/amp power bricks with PD and the keyboard will negotiate and ask for the proper voltage safely, or do we need to buy a USB-C cable that specifically has PD trigger to ask for 5V 1.5A ?

This discussion has been closed.