Addressing the Login Issues from 4.9.2023, What Happened, and What's Next

Options
Hayo_NI
Hayo_NI Product Team Posts: 285 mod
edited September 2023 in Native Access

Hi everyone,

Around Monday 4:30 pm CEST, all users on Native Access versions 3.5.0 and above were unable to login and access their products. We identified this to be an issue where our tech was unable to handle certain security improvements that were made, so as a result we rolled back those changes around 12:00 am CEST that same day.

In an effort to still bring those security updates out, we’re doing a hotfix as early as we can so we can roll out as many users as possible to the latest version and reduce the amount of people who will be impacted by the security roll out, so 3.5.2 is out now to address it. We highly recommend everyone to update as soon as possible, as we tested it and can confirm it to be resolved for future iterations.

In addition to this, one thing we discovered is that a user needs to be logged in for them to be able to update. This was a huge problem that forced us to roll back these security concerns and prevented us from rolling out hotfixes to remedy the situation. As a result, we’re going to prioritize and address this UX by moving updating Native Access to the first point of access. If you have concerns about this initiative, I’d love to hear feedback so that we can take your concerns into account while working on this.

I want to apologize for the inconvenience caused that day to all those affected. I also want to thank @aidenstunes for the use of his thread as a means for us to communicate what’s going on, and everyone who reached out to us to let us know of this issue.

Comments

• Scoops
    Scoops Member Posts: 54 Member
    edited September 2023
    Options

My Concerns

1) Login Issue 4.9.2024 as your heading means nothing to me. I was curious so I looked. If you want people to read your update, give it a more meaningful header. Probably send out a mass communication email to ALL users of the portal. There is probably a very low percentage of overall users here

2) There's no way I changing my access portal right now. What I have works and hasn't caused me issue, or issues that I know about. Im on an older version 1.14.1 (R156)

3) @Hayo_NI said "As a result, we’re going to prioritize and address this UX by moving updating Native Access to the first point of access" I don't quite get this? You are doing what?

4) While the effort of making this communication is appreciated, the communication could be tailored to be much more effective (see points 1 and 3 above)

• Scoops
    Scoops Member Posts: 54 Member
    edited September 2023
    Options

@Hayo_NI My Comments/Concerns:

1) Looking at your header I don't have a clue what this thread is for

2) I really don't know what this means "As a result, we’re going to prioritize and address this UX by moving updating Native Access to the first point of access".

3) I have no intentions of updating my Access Portal. It's old, and it works (As far as I know)

4) A refined, well articulated communication (not like this) should have gone out in an email to ALL Portal Owners. This forum cover only a very small percentage of all portal users

• fazii
    fazii Member Posts: 2 Newcomer
    Options

Hey folks,

Wow what a whirlwind of a Monday that was, huh? Major props to the team for identifying the issue so quickly and getting a hotfix rolled out. These things happen in the tech world, but it's all about how swiftly and efficiently you handle them that counts.

Moving the updating process to the first point of access sounds like a solid move to avoid issues like this in the future. Keep up the good work, and thanks for keeping us all in the loop!

Cheers,

Faizan

• Vocalpoint
    Vocalpoint Member Posts: 1,098 Guru
    Options

" I have no intentions of updating my Access Portal. It's old, and it works (As far as I know)"

Please don't say they didn't try to warn you - when your "old" Native Access version stops working (and it will).

VP

• PK The DJ
    PK The DJ Member Posts: 1,188 Guru
    Options

So this is expected to happen in 2024?

• Vocalpoint
    Options

Is what expected - the final nail in the coffin for Native Access 1 ?

There are already a bunch of products effected - like Kontakt 7.4.x that cannot be accessed via NA1. I am sure many more will fall into that scenario as the months go by.

NI has never actually stated a hard date to retire NA1 but with all the work going into NA 3.5.x (and beyond) - there is no way that NA1 can keep pace with this ongoing activity - if it was good enough - there would be no point to rewriting NA in the first place.

NA1 will stop working at some point - guaranteed.

VP

• PK The DJ
    Options

The thread title:

Login Issue 4.9.2024

• Vocalpoint
    Options

Worse thread title ever. But it had to do with a bunch of nonsense that some folks were nailed with over the last few days - being unable to login via Native Access to get your apps, updates etc.

Oddly it never affected me - even all through last week - but simply install v3.5.2 of NA2 and you are good to go.

VP

• PK The DJ
    Options

OK I'll try again. This year is 2023. Next year is 2024.

• Hayo_NI
    Options

Will take that into account for the next time an issue arises (which hopefully does not happen anytime soon :D)

Regarding a message sent to all portal users, not in this case. It only affected NA2 versions 3.5+, so this community area would suffice.

• Hayo_NI
    Options

To make it clear, the update functionality upgrades I'm referring to here are purely to improve what we're able to ship for Native Access 2 and has no bearing or dependency on Native Access 1. We want Native Access to continue to be a live service application, and with updates being blocked for users until they login will pose immense problems (like what we witnessed last week Monday). This will be prioritized first following the release off 3.6.0, and my dev assumes we can release this around end of October so long as nothing else comes in between.

We're releasing 3.6.0 (with uninstall support for content & expansion products) either this week or early next week (we're testing the release builds now, so once we're confident we ship), then afterwards they're committing fully to this upgrade.

• Hayo_NI
    Options

I've updated the title. Should be clearer what this post is about now. Appreciate the feedback. I'll talk more about Native Access 1 when I get back from PTO.

• PK The DJ
    Options

@Hayo_NI it's 2023!

2024 is next year.

• Hayo_NI
    Options

Oh gosh, I'm a fool... I've been busy planning next year lately. Apologies for the confusion!!

• Lu_
    Lu_ Member Posts: 10 Member
    Options

It would also be nice to make like some text notification possible on the first entry point when severe issues or service degradation is happening.

That way you don't need to send a global email out but can reach everyone trying to connect at that point in time in the application that's being affected.