GUI design: adventures in Blender.

Comments

• Bolle
    Bolle Member Posts: 349 Pro

I'm going to try rendering the knobs in 3D/perspective view and keeping the graphics (scales, texts etc... etc...) in 2D. Just to see if it looks better. I did this kind of 2D/3D mix before, for the reskin of Chet Singer's "Dannenberg Brass", and that came out looking great. The difference here is that the knobs are in Native Instruments standard sizes and real life knob sizes don't correspond to that. So, i may not end up using this technique if it looks bad.

Greets,

Bolle

• Paule
    Paule Member Posts: 1,328 Expert
    edited September 2022

Hi Paule,

Yes, i think it's the same structure. How do i change the bezier of the cables? I would like to make them hang a little lower.

I can't go in conversation with you. I'm in you're ignore list.

It's realized here and you can use multiple coloured cables.

• Paule

The ability to extract the images used in Reaktor GUI's. The amount of time i've spent drawing and redrawing GUI elements, using a screen grab as a template, is beyond count. Super frustrating. Extracted images can easily be edited in photoshop or, worst case, be used as real-size drawing templates.

Peter, you can use T-Rip by toby bear to change the gui.

• Bolle

I'm sorry. No idea when i did that. I un-ignored you.

• Bolle

Thank you Paule. I will remember this for the next project.

Thank you!

Greets,

Bolle

• Bolle

Started experimenting with reskinning Matthias Schaffer's "BeBo" modular based on Bento Box blocks. I'm finishing his "MoMo" later, because i like the Bento oscillators better than Monark.

Greets,

Bolle

• Bolle

Front view of the 3D layer end knobs. The 2D graphics will be layered on top of this.

Greets,

Bolle

• Bolle

Sneak peek. Before/after.

Greets,

Bolle

• Bolle

CRUDE got a mention on the NI blog. https://blog.native-instruments.com/download-our-top-5-free-drone-synths-for-reaktor/?_ga=2.195358313.434362438.1663860072-1858427177.1660524069

Download our top 5 free drone synths for REAKTOR

Boasting an anarchic assortment of sound sculpting features – including twin distortion controls, a bit crusher, two LP filters, two wavetable oscillators, three LFO’s, and a chorus effect – Bolle’s crushingly heavy CRUDE makes for one deliciously diabolical drone generator. Not sure how to start your journey to pure sonic destruction? Surrender to chance and press the RND button to randomize all controls except master volume.

Download CRUDE

Greets,

Bolle

• Paule

Thanks for your Link: I own Crude and Britta and now the other 3 also.

• Bolle

Before / after of Matthias Schaffer's "BeBo".

Greets,

Bolle

• Chet Singer
    Chet Singer Member Posts: 60 Advisor

Love that 3D photorealistic look!

• Bolle

Thank you, Chet! Took me a while to complete this, with all the A/B modulation faders and having to edit the colors of just about everything.

I love finding great instruments that need a good cleanup. Same with another of Matthias' instruments "MoMo" that I'm trying to give a more vintagy look.

I tried to get in touch with Matthias Schaffer through the comments section, but he's not active anymore. I'll probably upload it myself then. Just need to put in some time to recreate the snapshots so Reaktor recognizes the elements I switched out for different parts, and to redraw all the cables because I moved the ports around.

Greets,

Bolle

• JSully
    JSully Member Posts: 2 Member

Hey Mr. Bolle! I was wondering if you could share your glowing button material setup in blender. I've been trying to achieve that exact look. Thank you!

• Bolle

Hi J!

It's actually very simple. Using Cycles as my render engine, i create a cube with a white Glass BSDF texture (play with roughness and IOR setting) and a Solidify Modifier set to 0.5mm. Inside the cube i have one plane acting as the light source (emission settings in Principled BSDF shader) with a blue base colour and a blue emission colour. Underneath the light source, also inside the cube, i have another plane with a basic white texture, acting as a reflector. This way, when the light source is not included in the render (off position) the reflector plane makes sure the button looks nice and white, and when the light source is included it reflects the blue light all across the cube.

I hope that makes sense. Let me know if i can be of any further help.

Greets,

Bolle