Dont buy used MK3

Options
Jack Cotner
Jack Cotner Member Posts: 4 Newcomer

Just bought a used MK3 from a Guitar Center employee off reverb, sent the serial to transfer and photos of receipt etc. to NI and turns out it's NFR, not for resale. Support was very rude and said they wont transfer it and basically need to give it back, I've spent thousands on NI stuff and countless hours with their software and gear (endured all the crashes spent even more on a faster computer). I think I'm done with NI and all their ****** after this experience. Anyone want an S88 Mk2, KK Collectors 14, and Maschine Mk3 (unregisterable), message me. This companies tankig fast and just lost another loyal NI user.

Best Answers

• Rico010
    Rico010 Member Posts: 103 Advisor
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi. I understand your pain. That’s really frustrating. I had similar experience with another company product in the past. But it’s nothing related to NI. It is related to the GC employee who lied to you and sold something he could not sell.

and by the way, you have KKCE14 which includes Maschine software. I believe the controller you bought should already work with it and not require any transfer. Did you check this?

• expermusic
    expermusic Member Posts: 12 Member
    Answer ✓
    Options

If anything I'd direct my anger at the Reverb seller. File a claim with Reverb. They'll take care of you even if the sale was "no returns".

• expermusic
    Answer ✓
    Options

Yeah, I'd contact Reverb about that. No way you should be out ANY money for this transaction. The seller needs to pay for return and refund all of your money.

It's one thing if you're returning something because you just don't like it, but this was an item that was never supposed to be sold, and as such, is useless to you.

Don't just accept that you are losing out money. Definitely contact the seller and Reverb about shipping fees.

Answers

• Rico010
    Rico010 Member Posts: 103 Advisor
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi. I understand your pain. That’s really frustrating. I had similar experience with another company product in the past. But it’s nothing related to NI. It is related to the GC employee who lied to you and sold something he could not sell.

and by the way, you have KKCE14 which includes Maschine software. I believe the controller you bought should already work with it and not require any transfer. Did you check this?

• expermusic
    Answer ✓
    Options

If anything I'd direct my anger at the Reverb seller. File a claim with Reverb. They'll take care of you even if the sale was "no returns".

• Jack Cotner
    Options

We're working out a refund. It works but I still want it registered on my account as the owner.

• Jack Cotner
    Options

It seems the seller was unaware it was NFR, I'm gonna be out shipping x2 now.

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,884 mod
    edited August 2023
    Options

Just the record and for anyone else who might land on this thread:

The first thing to do when buying a used Maschine or KK-S is to ask the seller if he has a software license "transfer ID" ready, sellers have to manually request it on the website, if the seller is unaware this is required at least they will be informed and try it, depending on where you buy the DM's can also serve as proof in case the seller lies (or goes MIA) and you need to open a dispute.

For any potential sellers: Asking for a transfer ID allows the seller to keep using the software while the final transfer has not been activated by an eventual buyer, so there's really no reason not to do it.

For people living in high/normal density cities, it's better to buy this kind of thing in person IMO, I've sold tons of NI gear over the year and always did it in person, I live in a pretty tiny country.

But you don't pay for that shipping, right?

• Jack Cotner
    Options

Some reverb deals include shipping, this one did not.

• Rayven
    Rayven Member Posts: 6 Newcomer
    Options

There are many ways for NI to make money. But shouldnt be dishonest and rude to genuine customers. No one wish to cheat NI when they directly contact for support. They should realise this and support the customer instead of dishonest, scam nature type of behavior to the customer

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,618 Expert
    edited August 2023
    Options

I did not read anything here that suggests NI are being dishonest OR profiting off this kind of situation, how do you come to that conclusion??

Software almost always needs a transfer of ownership and anyone buying anything that has a licensed software component should always check on the manufacturers site what the process is for buying. This is a simple google search away with the top result yielding all the info needed BEFORE selling or purchasing.

Some companies do not even allow a license to be transferred so it's always a good idea to check since if it is NFR (not for resale) it is likely a gifted unit and so, if you (the buyer) can know of this, have a full copy of Maschine software anyway you could press for a cheaper price since they are profiting off the fact it did not cost them anything anyway or just avoid all together

Hardly think it is fair to throw mud at NI for it to be honest or to suggest to everyone that should not buy used, for those that do the homework buying used is perfectly fine (I purchased my Maschine Studio used after I did my own research) and many have no issues in this area at all, just always comes down to the same thing, do your homework first!

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,795 Expert
    Options

Exactly, I have bought/sold 40-50 pieces of NI HW/SW and no problem. I am happy it is easy to sell and buy. Just one has to verify at seller, that he knows how to transfer HW/SW and that everything is correctly prepared for transfer.

• D-One
    Options

Wow... How much if I may ask?

In your shoes I think I'd keep it and just buy a Maschine license used, there are lot's of people out there with many licenses, maybe for 50$ or something, depending on how much you gotta pay for shipping this might be a better option unless you're serious about selling all your NI HW/SW. Altho.. i understand spending more money might infuriate you even more.

This is not a normal unit, it's an NFR (hw/sw Not For Resale), which means it was given away by the company.

To be honest, something is really fishy here... I really don't believe the seller did not know it was an NFR, how can you get sent free gear and not know it's free in the first place? Having had a few NFR's from NI myself it was always pretty clear to me what they were.

If I had to take a bet I'd say NI gives NFR HW to really big retailers with physical stores to use as floor models so people can test them in the store, the GC employee took it (or was given it by the owner) and wanted to make some $$, I'm of course speculating but this seems plausible.

• expermusic
    Answer ✓
    Options

Yeah, I'd contact Reverb about that. No way you should be out ANY money for this transaction. The seller needs to pay for return and refund all of your money.

It's one thing if you're returning something because you just don't like it, but this was an item that was never supposed to be sold, and as such, is useless to you.

Don't just accept that you are losing out money. Definitely contact the seller and Reverb about shipping fees.

• 25Kyz
    25Kyz Member Posts: 26 Member
    Options

My first machine was bought at GC. I was told it was a floor unit and they had all the software. Went home and loaded up everything and went to register and BOOM. Already registered! After hours on the phone with NI I went back to GC and said I want my money back. The sales man said no problem and had another unit that just came in if I still wanted to keep the discount. I got that one home and BOOM, that was NFR!! I went back to GC with the anger of Jan6th'r (Lmao). The manager tried to not come see me and force the original person to talk with me. Finally, he did come over and I walked with a new unit at education price plus10%, Moral of the story is anything that has a license I will never buy used from a retailer especially at GC.

• D-One
    edited September 2023
    Options

Wow... So, they knowingly do it.

Not only has it happened to you more than once but that behavior is indicative of guilt. I've seen similar experiences here too, one would think that after a few times they know that happens and would never advertise their used items as having the software/license when they dont. IMO It's impossible to work in a music store and not know what a NFR is, it would be like not knowing what an RCA cable is.

• allehoop
    allehoop Member Posts: 3 Member
    Options

Collectors Edition does Not include Maschine Software.