"vendor" tag in M+ ?

Options
GregRocksSoHard
GregRocksSoHard Member Posts: 8 Member

Can I get Maschine+ to filter user one-shots and loops by Vendor in Standalone mode? I'm using the same file hierarchy as my software. It works as expected there.

I have all my samples tagged and sorted and added via M+'s 'library' menus to the SD Card.

Everything looks right. I go to one-shot => user and all the folders I added are there and internally fine. Tags (besides Vendor) and Folder hierarchy are right.

I want to filter those samples by Vendor. So I twist the far-left knob. It only shows "All Vendors" and "Other."

What's next?

Tagged:

Comments

• ozon
    ozon Member Posts: 1,357 Expert
    Options

Works for me. In my User library of One-Shots, all Vendors are listed for my custom samples. Are you sure you used the correct field to tag the Vendor in the Maschine application?

• GregRocksSoHard
    edited August 2023
    Options

I don't know how else I might tag it. I saved and then closed the software. Then I clicked and dragged the folders with my samples to the SD card in my M+.

Is there a folder I should be putting them in? I have seen a couple different places suggested in Maschine and Maschine + online documentation. They give me things like a 'user content' folder or a "Maschine 2" folder in the loops and one-shot browser pages before I select the library. I don't want that.

• ozon
    Options

That should work.

Can you please show the edit mode for the Vendor/Library/Bank tags and list everything you set.

User content goes into the User Content folder also on the M+. I wouldn’t expect them to be placed in the Maschine2 folder, but I have to check.

• GregRocksSoHard
    edited August 2023
    Options

Sure. Properties:

General

Types:

And now the groups tab, which has no organization whatsoever. It will not let me change the "Product" field. I can change the "Vendor" in "Properties." That has no influence on organization. Tags work as expected.

When I use "user content" on my M+'s SD card it lumps all my samples into a "user content" tile in both one-shots and loops. I don't want that. I want my one-shot libraries (and loops and groups) listed by Vendor.

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,884 mod
    edited August 2023
    Options

Vendor sorting is for Plugins (Instruments and FX), so that's a no-go - but there's solutions that can work similarly.

(Well, to be more specific any non-official vendors shows up as "Other", all bunched up... there are solutions but generally require using terminal scripts to modify files so it's not a very user-friendly approach)

@GregRocksSoHard asked:

Is there a folder I should be putting them in? I have seen a couple different places suggested in Maschine and Maschine + online documentation. They give me things like a 'user content' folder or a "Maschine 2" folder in the loops and one-shot browser pages before I select the library. I don't want that.

To avoid your packs to be bunched up with the User "Maschine 2" lib just place your folder wherever you want in the SD Card then on the M+ go to:

- Settings>User>Add - Navigate to your folder and add it, it's name will determine how it shows up on the browser.

This is the same thing as Prefs>Library>User>Add in desktop software version.

Any sub-folders you will show a "Banks", there's a limit of sub-folders, 2 i think. (or 1 for this context, not sure,... test it to figure it out)

On the desktop:

(ignore the custom thumbnail with the smiley face, that was me testing some stuff and that does not work in M+ anyway )

• ozon
    Options

Just FYI how I placed my custom sample libraries on the M+:

/Native Instruments/User Content/<bank>/<sub-bank>/<category>/<sample>.wav

Example 1

/Native Instruments/User Content/ozon/Elektron Machinedrum/Kick/Kick 01.wav

For some libraries, I use the bank level ("ozon") to organize everything by vendor folders to avoid bank naming conflicts, which is actually redundant and could be organized differently.

In the Browser, I get:

1. Vendor: Selection by Vendor Tag (e.g. "ozon")
    2. Product: Selection of one User Content tile for the Vendor ("User Content")
    3. Bank: Selection of the bank names for the selected Product ("ozon")
    4. Sub-Bank: Selection of sub-bank names within the selected bank ("Elektron Machinedrum")

Example 2

/Native Instruments/User Content/Methods of Mayhem/Grind Control/SG175_100_Grind_01C.aif

In the Browser, I get:

1. Vendor: Selection by Vendor Tag (e.g. "Prime Sounds")
    2. Product: Selection of one User Content tile for the Vendor ("User Content")
    3. Bank: Selection of the bank names for the selected Product ("Methods of Mayhem")
    4. Sub-Bank: Selection of sub-bank names within the selected bank ("Grind Control")

As you can see, it should work with your custom samples located within User Content.

• ozon
    Options

BTW, this looks all fine. In my experience, Product/Bank/Sub-Bank can never be set but are always derived from the first three directory levels, where "User Content" is always the first level for samples in the user content directory.

• ozon
    Options

@D-One wrote:

Vendor sorting is for Plugins (Instruments and FX), so that's a no-go - but there's solutions that can work similarly.

(Well, to be more specific any non-official vendors shows up as "Other", all bunched up... there are solutions but generally require using terminal scripts to modify files so it's not a very user-friendly approach)

Hm. It works as expected for me, and has for many years in the Maschine application. I made User sample libraries from old sample CDs and fully tagged them, including the Vendor attribute.

• ozon
    Options

@D-One offered:

To avoid your packs to be bunched up with the User "Maschine 2" lib just place your folder wherever you want in the SD Card then on the M+ go to: 

- Settings>User>Add - Navigate to your folder and add it, it's name will determine how it shows up on the browser.

Wow, I didn't know that feature!

I just tried it... and it is insanely buggy! Vendor tags indeed don't work at all and all sorts of other weird things are happening, such as products cannot be selected or banks appear under wrong products. For me a huge step backwards from the very stable User Content approach.

• D-One
    Options

I'm confused now...

You can use the Vendor category in the One-Shots/Loops browser to select custom vendors on the M+ in standalone mode?

That only works for me in the desktop version / controller mode, with exactly the same folder added as a lib it and tagged samples.

M+ Standalone:

Controller Mode:

• ozon
    Options

It did work, until I tried your suggestions of adding custom directories (under newly created /Library), and reverted back to having everything as layed out above. Now the Vendor list doesn’t work anymore. ******!!!

🤬

• D-One
    edited August 2023
    Options

Oh, sorry missed this post. Humm... interesting, so it has Bugs. Kind of crazy since this has been out for a long, long time and I didn't see anyone complaining...

With the method you described my samples end up in a main thumbnail called "User Content", no vendor separation, so "Banks/Folder" is the only way to separate packs - This technically works but it's still silly that we can't have packs separated by main thumbnail + vendor separation as that's how Expansions work, would make things a lot more consistent and muscle memory friendly.

AHAHAHA OH MY GAWD. I'm so sorry, geez... What a buggy mess. This might explain the above scenario I am experiencing.

I wonder if only 0.001% of M+ users actually work with more than just presets and expansions? It's baffling to me that there are not 100 threads about this if it's this buggy.

• GregRocksSoHard
    edited August 2023
    Options

Dear Lord. So I can either sort by vendor with one layer of categories or have a huge list of unsorted tiles and 2 layers of abstraction?

That's ... what? Really? 🙄

And seriously. Am I the only person who wants this to work in standalone the way I'm describing? If updates come as often as they've looked to come so far I guess I've got a few choices to make.

I don't see why the "User Content" folder can't just act the way libraries do in controller mode.

• ozon
    edited August 2023
    Options

@D-One uttered:

AHAHAHA OH MY GAWD

Glad Io entertain you! 😅

On a more scientific note: My experience means that Vendor tags obviously used to work on the M+.

Reflecting the situation, I remember to have set up my User Content libraries right after receiving my M+ around October 2020. I haven’t changed much since then, except for adding new Samples to my already existing „ozon“ bank. Until yesterday.

Also, I didn’t move that „ozon“ bank, and the respective Vendor tag does still work.

The flaky behavior with skipping Products and showing Banks under wrong Products is something I’ve observed before and may be due to the bank direcories containing other files (pdf, utility files, zip) as well.

Going to file a bug report.

• GregRocksSoHard
    Options

@D-One Can you link me the terminal process you're talking about? I'm generally comfortable with shell scripting and would like to see what I'm in for.