new laptop with Windows 10. Why is my s4 showing up as s4 ch c and d? How do I fix this. I'm trying

Msound3368
Msound3368 Member Posts: 3 Newcomer

Thanks any help will be appreciated

Answers

• lord-carlos
    lord-carlos Member Posts: 3,395 Expert

It has two inputs.

What is it you are trying to do?

• Msound3368

Record with audacity and streem with obs

• zephry
    zephry Member Posts: 645 Pro
    edited August 2023

With the S4mk3. If you are trying to record through Audacity with the same computer you have to loop back in with your microphone input (on your laptop) or use a cheap soundcard and USB port on laptop. There is no option in Audacity to choose your Master or Booth within Audacity as a source for recording.

The S8 actually had/has a Master output available to choose as a source when recording in Audacity. The S5 doesn't and S4mk3 doesn't.

For CPU sake I record to a separate computer I use for streaming or as just audio recording. In my opinion that is the best way.

I use a lowcost Behringer U-Control UCA222. It has has a monitor for headphones so you can check for distortion and get the Traktor output perfect before recording as well.

The U-Control has volume control for headphones monitoring, so you can boost the Traktor output until there is distortion without blowing out your ears. Once there is distortion I turn Traktor down and have perfect volumes out to recording.

• lord-carlos

I've made my own short incest cable.

Goes from booth out into the line in on the s4mk3. Then I can select the line in in OBS and stream.

• Msound3368

On my other pc I can just select s4 in record device and it picks up the audio.

• lord-carlos

Are you sure you where looking at the input device?

In OBS I can also select different S4 devices. But I'm pretty sure in that case it will also pick up cue audio.

• zephry

Yep that is also a good option. I use the booth for a separate mixer and main sound system, I try to only run the audio for Traktor on the Traktor laptop. I have heard drops and issues with recording in the past when using the same laptop so I bought a cheap laptop for streaming and recording.

• zephry

It seems like the sources should show. (Especially since they show in the audio control panel.) I haven't spent much time trying to figure it out. My neighbor who djs, had my old S8 and it was easy to record. But had some drops and issues with running both Traktor and Audacity.

Not horrible or crashes. If I remember correctly, it was loading tracks and analyzing Beatport streaming caused some drops in the final recording. No issues when using the separate laptop.

I see on your profile you are using the s4mk1? Maybe contact support, my s4mk1 broke many years ago.

This discussion has been closed.