Guitar Rig 5 - tempo sync - Maschine

Options
Wouter De Muynck
Wouter De Muynck Member Posts: 217 Pro

Hello,

I noticed that when I load Guitar Rig 5 as an effect and set the metronome to sync external, it doesn't sync to the MIDI clock/signature of Maschine. For Guitar Rig 6 it works nice. Does anybody else encounter that issue?

Thanks,

Wouter

Best Answer

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,737 mod
    Answer ✓
    Options

Ok, so now it all makes sense. You have a M1 computer right?

Guitar RIg 5 is not supported on M1/M2 computers, it was discontinued years before Apple Silicon was introduced. If you wish to use Guitar Rig 5 on a M1 Mac you need to run Maschine or your DAW in Rosetta mode: How to Open Your DAW Using Rosetta This is how I tested GTR5 and the metronome. In Rosetta mode it works. In normal/arm native mode I experience the same issue, that's because it is not supported.

This is also why you can't find the VST plug-ins in Maschine, the VST2 format is no longer supported on M1 computers, to load them you need to run Maschine in Rosetta mode.

Answers

• LostInFoundation
    LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,306 Expert
    Options

Isn’t that normal? If it’s loaded as a plug-in in Maschine, it should already use Maschine’s tempo. If you set it to external, it expects an external midi clock

• Wouter De Muynck
    Options

@LostInFoundation , hello again! 😁

Well, I have 3 options in GR6: free/sound/external, from which I select external and from the moment I adapt the tempo or signature in Maschine it immediately syncs to GR6 and time-based effects accordingly.

The GR6 manual says the following:

Extern: The tempo and time signature are synchronized to the DAW (GUITAR RIG plug-in) or incoming MIDI clock (GUITAR RIG stand-alone application). In this mode the Tap, BPM, and Sig controls are deactivated.

So Maschine is the DAW in this case.

The GR5 manuals tells me this:

Ext: The Metronome is synchronized to an external tempo via MIDI in Stand-alone mode, or synced to the host application in Plugin mode.

When I select ext in GR5 nothing happens when I adapt the tempo/signature.

• LostInFoundation
    Options

Following what the manual says, you are correct in setting external. So probably you are right also supposing there is an issue

• Wouter De Muynck
    Options

Thanks again @LostInFoundation

• LostInFoundation
    Options

For? I haven’t done anything….it’s you who have given me some informations 😂

• Wouter De Muynck
    Options

😄😄😄 Feel free to thank me! At your service 👌

• Jeremy_NI
    Options

@Wouter De Muynck I just tried to open Guitar Rig 5 inside Maschine, Guitar Rig 5's metronome is synced to the host.

Could it be just a Windows issue? I could only test on a mac. Anyone can reproduce the issue on a PC?

• Wouter De Muynck
    Options

@Jeremy_NI , thanks for the test... that seems to work! I just created a blank Maschine session, added the VST3 version of Guitar Rig 5 MFX, but nothing happens. I noticed your plug-in is just called Guitar Rig 5 (without FX/MFX). What plug-in version or you using? I'm also running Mac.

Grtz,

Wouter

• Jeremy_NI
    Options

@Wouter De Muynck I don't believe there was ever a Guitar Rig 5 VSt3 plug-in, it was discontinued before that. I used the VST version on my mac:

• Wouter De Muynck
    Options

@Jeremy_NI , my bad! I'm using the AudioUnits version, not VST3

The VST3 list shown only GR6, but I don't have the VST-version of GR5, actually I don't have any VST plug-ins available and when I added the VST folder, they are not imported to Maschine after a Rescan. Any idea what might be causing that?

• Jeremy_NI
    Answer ✓
    Options

Ok, so now it all makes sense. You have a M1 computer right?

Guitar RIg 5 is not supported on M1/M2 computers, it was discontinued years before Apple Silicon was introduced. If you wish to use Guitar Rig 5 on a M1 Mac you need to run Maschine or your DAW in Rosetta mode: How to Open Your DAW Using Rosetta This is how I tested GTR5 and the metronome. In Rosetta mode it works. In normal/arm native mode I experience the same issue, that's because it is not supported.

This is also why you can't find the VST plug-ins in Maschine, the VST2 format is no longer supported on M1 computers, to load them you need to run Maschine in Rosetta mode.

• Wouter De Muynck
    Options

Thanks @Jeremy_NI , I will give it a go tomorrow 👍 But to make life a lot easier, just bring back the looper 😌

• Wouter De Muynck
    Options

@Jeremy_NI , I launched Maschine in Rosetta mode and now the tempo is synced indeed! I appreciate your effort, but all the fuzz to get the looper working again:

• Use Maschine
    • Use 2 GR-versions in a serial setup
    • Downgrade to VST-compatibility (Rosetta)

I'm still hoping the looper returns to GR6, instruments are supposed to be used for live music, no? All of the looper-users are waiting for more then 2 years now for an explenation why it was removed, although the initial ad did mention the looper as being part of GR6.

I'm good to go now, but still frustrated about the complexity of the setup and the arrogance of NI (no offense to you Jeremy!)