Native Instruments Apple Silicon M1 Compatibility

Options

Comments

• Tomboman
    Tomboman Member Posts: 46 Member
    Options

That would be fantastic if all Komplete Effects will be native soon (I just checked, literally almost all are native in Guitar rig). Hopefully this will be true!

• cnnryng
    cnnryng Member Posts: 15 Member
    Options

Still having issues with Komplete Kontrol and my S88, the amount they charge for software and hardware I really think it's past time they made KK native

• funx
    funx Member Posts: 8 Member
    Options

Has there been no announcement about Guitar Rig 6?

The specs page still says `Apple M1 CPU (with Rosetta 2 installed)`

https://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/komplete/guitar/guitar-rig-6-pro/specifications/

• Tomboman
    Options

No, only here: https://support.native-instruments.com/hc/de/articles/360014683497

Yeah, the communication is the not the best. I don't understand why a few weeks ago there was no announcement that they are working now on Guitar Rig and will be available in the next months.

I think that kind of communication would help a lot about the frustration from some users.

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,737 mod
    Options

What issues exactly? Issues with Komplete Kontrol in your DAW in Rosetta mode ? Have you contacted our support regarding these issues ?

• NDEE
    NDEE Member Posts: 10 Member
    Options

Hi folks, my first post in the new forum.

I've been a N.I. user since Kontakt 2, solely on Windows, but I recently purchased a Mac Studio M1 MAX.

After reading lots of posts here about N.I.'s softwares running NATIVE (or not) in Apple M1, I'm kind of confused...

I currently own Komplete 10 Ultimate and use mostly Kontakt 5 instruments in my old Windows computers.

If I understand correctly, NONE of these KONTAKT 5 instruments (be it N.I or 3rd party like Heavyocity) will work NATIVELY in Apple M1 / Monterey, right? (I know that they might work with Rosetta2 but my question is solely about running them NATIVELY in my M1.)

Do I need to upgrade to Kontakt 6 in order to get ALL my OLD KONTAKT 5 instruments (like Heavyocity's DAMAGE or Vocalise for example) to work NATIVELY in my MAC STUDIO M1 MAX ?

In other words, do all 3rd party instruments using Kontakt need to be updated individually by their respective makers (like Heavyocity), or is the Apple Native compatibility just a Kontakt 6 thing that requires ONLY Kontakt to be upgraded?

MY GOAL is to run my old Kontakt 5 instruments NATIVELY in my M1, in Cubase Pro 12 (thus only VST3), WITHOUT THE ROSETTA2 BANDAID.

Any comments or N.I. / Cubase 12 / VST3 experiences to share too? I read lots of posts here about Kontakt 6 not installing correctly, and/or loading empty instances in old projects etc.

Thanks for any comments.

NDEE

Mac Studio M1 MAX, latest Monterey

Cubase Pro 12 Apple Native

• Calagan
    Calagan Member Posts: 156 Advisor
    Options

Kontakt 5 will obviously never be native Apple Silicon so you'll need to update to Kontakt 6 if you want to use it native with an Apple Silicon machine.

But I think any bank will run ok if the sampler is compatible (i.e. if it's K6). The banks are only samples, I guess any code involved is the one used by the sampler, so it's the sampler that matters in compatibility issues.

On my side, I don't have any issue with Kontakt 6 on a M1 machine with any of my NI or third party banks (some very old ones, like the Spitfire free labs ones when they were still on Kontakt), but the transition from Kontakt 5 to Kontakt 6 was a bit of a pain : You need to have both plugins installed on your machine, and save each K5 instrument in order to load it in K6. Then you'll need to verify for each K6 instrument if it's sounding the same as K5 (if you are a bit paranoïd like me).

I heard you could just get rid of K5 and each missing K5 plugin in a session will be automatically opened with K6, but it was not my experience for some reason. Maybe because of format discrepancy (vst2, vst3, AU - I was using K5 in vst2 but K6 is native only in vst3). Maybe someone here could add some special tip about transition from K5 to K6...

• NDEE
    Options

Thanks Calagan for your comments.

That's what I'm thinking too, that the samples don't have anything to do with the M1 Apple Native compatibility, but the sampler, Kontakt 6 in this case, does. However, maybe there is extra programing in some advanced sample libraries that might require tweaking to play well in Apple Native (?) But it's good news to hear that your old libs work in Kontakt 6 / M1 Apple Native.

You wrote: "transition from Kontakt 5 to Kontakt 6 was a bit of a pain : You need to have both plugins installed on your machine, and save each K5 instrument in order to load it in K6."

Are you talking about your DAW not recalling the proper instrument, and/or patch and/or parameter values when opening an old Kontakt 5 project with Kontakt 6 in Apple Native?

What DAW are you using?

Could this be your DAW not automatically transitioning / linking VST2 instruments to VST3? I read about this in KVR forum. Apparently Cubase does this VST2 to VST3 transition / linking automatically but not all DAWs do it somehow.

I have just 2 or 3 projects I'm currently working on that might have to go through the Kontakt 5 to Kontakt 6 M1 Apple Native transition. All new projects from now on will be in Kontakt 6 on my M1 unless I really need some old plugin or VST2 FX. Then I would do the project in my old Windows machines, I still have 2 good working PCs which I'll keep for the old stuff.

My M1 is not going to see Kontakt 5! I'll install Kontakt 6 in Apple Native and I'll take it from there. Ideally I would finish and mix those 3 Windows transitioned projects in my M1 but if worst comes to worst, I'll finish them in my Windows PC.

Thanks again for chiming in Calagan!

NDEE

• Unclemac
    Unclemac Member Posts: 3 Member
    edited September 2022
    Options

Cant wait for NI to be native apple silicon, gonna be a blast! So much love for NI stuff, keep going guys 🥰

and btw kick2 is not NApple either, neither is a few other of my vsts so. I guess theres reasons for the wait. EOY2022 sounds good, but now sounds better 😄

reaktor and battery 🤌

• NDEE
    Options

As a follow-up to my Aug 30th and 31st posts here in this thread:

Maybe someone from N.I. could step-in and confirm if all Kontakt instruments (N.I & 3rd party) indeed work in Kontakt 6 on an M1 in APPLE NATIVE (without Rosetta2).

If some of those Kontakt instruments (like Heavyocity's old Damage for example) don't work at this time in Kontakt 6 on M1 in APPLE NATIVE then please let us know, I could not find any clear info on this.

Maybe a list of which Kontakt INSTRUMENT works / doesn't work / will be updated to work Natively in M1 (or not) exists somewhere?

iZotope DID such a list so I was not in the dark with my software suite there.

BTW, regarding the current N.I. Komplete sale: Blindly investing near a thousand dollars in software suites is not very appealing... Because of that N.I. / Apple Native compatibility uncertainty, I've just put aside the idea of upgrading to Komplete 13 Ultimate Collector's Edition and might just upgrade my Kontakt 5 to version 6 and see what happens from there with the N.I. / Apple Native fiasco.

Thanks in advance N.I. folks for any useful info that could inspire confidence for us to invest more $$$ in your products :o)

NDEE

• Tomboman
    Options

All Kontakt libraries work. It is the same Kontakt, but only native on Apple Silicon.

• Tomboman
    Options

BTW, Kick2 has an Apple Silicon beta that works great.

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,737 mod
    edited September 2022
    Options

Kontakt 6 is M1 natively compatible. Only the application needs to be compatible, if the libraries are compatible with Kontakt 6 they will work on your system. We're hoping to have more clarity in the coming weeks.

• Unclemac
    Unclemac Member Posts: 3 Member
    edited September 2022
    Options

Great! I cant seem find it. Do you have a link? EDIT, found it, thanks!

so now if you would kindly, Native Instruments, make apple silicon great again 😎

• James Steele
    James Steele Member Posts: 37 Member
    Options

Just another user who recently upgraded to a Mac Studio M1 Max who was desperately looking for any information about when NI VIs will be Apple Silicon native across the board? It's nice that Kontakt and Guitar Rig are (although I never use the latter), but I'd like to see Komplete Kontrol go native soon as I also recently bought a Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk2. Also, I worry about the future of some plugs as I'm seeing some of them on blowout sales on third party vendor websites, which makes me wonder if they will never be updated to native.

Not trying to give you guys at NI a hard time, but seriously... it's September 2022, already. Looking though my plugs, it seems that NI is way behind other developers in the transition to Apple Silicon native support. Thanks.

This discussion has been closed.