Native Instruments Apple Silicon M1 Compatibility

Kaiwan_NI
Kaiwan_NI Administrator Posts: 2,523 admin
edited November 2023 in NI News

Apple began transitioning its Mac lineup from Intel processors to its own Apple silicon M1, their new generation of processors, in late 2020.

While our product team has spent much of last year optimizing Native Instruments products to work with the new processor, the development of an M1-based version is still a work in progress. At the moment, you can run most Native Instruments products in the Rosetta emulation mode. 

We're dedicated to making our current products fully compatible with the new Apple Silicon Macs without having to rely on Rosetta 2 and are excited about the capabilities of this new platform.

Update: All our current products included in KOMPLETE 14 are now compatible with Apple Silicon native M1.

For a list of all products, see https://bit.ly/n1silic

Tagged:

Comments

• mushanga
    mushanga Member Posts: 5 Member
    Hi…how soon do you anticipate the Apple Silicon native version of Kontakt to be ready for release? Is the current Kontakt beta a native version? Or does it just focus on Monterey compatibility?

Thanks
  • mushanga
    Matt @ NI said:
    mushanga said:
    Hi…how soon do you anticipate the Apple Silicon native version of Kontakt to be ready for release? Is the current Kontakt beta a native version? Or does it just focus on Monterey compatibility?

Thanks
    Kontakt 6.7 is in Beta already and it does include Apple Silicon compatibility. Hopefully it shouldn't be too long now (probably February) 🙏
    Thanks for your reply. By Apple Silicon "compatibility" are you implying that Kontakt 6.7 will run natively or via Rosetta 2?
  • Kaiwan_NI
    Kaiwan_NI Administrator Posts: 2,523 admin
    Hey @mushanga Kontakt is already working via Rosetta 2, so by Apple Silicon compatibility we mean it will run natively.
  • mushanga
    Hey @mushanga Kontakt is already working via Rosetta 2, so by Apple Silicon compatibility we mean it will run natively.
    Great stuff - that's exciting news! Thanks again
  • Tony Jones
    Tony Jones Member Posts: 261 Pro
    To be fair there was a call for Kontakt beta testers a few weeks ago, so there was some fuss made!
  • nanotable
    nanotable Member Posts: 93 Advisor
    edited January 2022

Oh, I’ve missed that call, I’ve just seen the one for Native Access testers.

In any case, this sound promising. I’m looking forward to more substantial information 👍

• Tigersharc
    Tigersharc Member Posts: 59 Helper
    Sounds like the timing for new updates will work out perfect for me. I'm currently waiting for the new iMac 27" Pro that will hopefully be officially announced in March. At that point I can use all these plug-in's with no restrictions due to low Ram......
  • mushanga
    edited January 2022

Can anyone at NI / Kontakt 6.7 beta testers confirm if RAM consumption is any different using the native version? E.g. does a Logic session which required 40GB of RAM in order to run a selection of Kontakt instruments on Intel / Rosetta 2 now require less RAM when run natively on an Apple Silicon machine?

• pranaearth
    pranaearth Member Posts: 50 Helper

This would have to come from NI, as Beta testers are under an NDA.

• anderslink
    anderslink Member Posts: 1 Member

Just knowing this might happen within the next couple of months is fantastic. Thank you so much for sharing this. I would definitely love to assist in testing the beta version and have liked the above comment!

• mariuslacatus
    mariuslacatus Member Posts: 1 Newcomer
    edited January 2022

I would also like to assist with testing the ARM-native version of Kontakt (I liked the comment above as well). I have a MacBook Pro 13'' M1 16GB.

This discussion has been closed.