Accidentally started an export, which hung-up, so I had to switch off and ...

Options
RogiWanKenobi
RogiWanKenobi Member Posts: 17 Member
edited August 2023 in Maschine

... missed re-creating the projects after restart.

Hello Community

As you may have noticed, I am a real NOOP and newbie in working with Native Instruments' instruments.

But, nevertheless, this is real fun, and also a very hard learning curve to me.

As mentioned, I started accidentally an project export on my machine+ I received yesterday.

So, I think, due to the fact, I had no MAC connected, this exproting process hung/did a lot of time do nothing. I this my correct assumption for the reason of this hang-up?

NextQ: Is there any other way for interrupting the exporting process and getting back to my project WITHOUT the hardcore switching off and back on again of the machine+?

Due to the fact that I missed re-creating my project after switching back on my machine, I could not load this project any longer into it. Is it really lost/no longer accessible?

Is there a way to generally recreating it after this accident? (e.g. on the MAC or so?)

Thank you in advance for all your hints.

Regards,

Roger

Tagged:

Best Answers

• LostInFoundation
    LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,309 Expert
    edited August 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

No, being not connected to the Mac is not the culprit. As said, exporting saves on the SD and later you move the exported audio to the computer.

Not knowing what demo you are talking about I can’t be sure. But…yes…an export of all the sounds of a full song of e.g. 4+ min which includes many elements could take more than 2 min.

Think of it in this way: if the demo has 4 groups of 16 sounds (all used) plus various instruments, what it must export at the sound level is 64 tracks of 4+ min for each sound of the groups plus other tracks of 4+ min for every single instrument used. Probably this is an extreme example, but you can get that it could take time (in every case could be more than 2 min… did you really lost your patience in 2 min? You are quite impatient my friend ☺️)

About recovering…I don’t know what to tell you. The demo should in any case not have been touched…maybe your modified version…but after a file gets corrupted by suddenly interrupting the power, I don’t know if it will be recoverable

In any case the suggestion is to save something before making anything “drastic”, like an export could be

• LostInFoundation
    Options

You’re welcome

Another suggestion could be to test things just for the matter of … testing them.

Like for this case: do a very simple project, maybe just a couple of groups with few sounds. Just to try how export works, not making a complete song that you are even interested in keeping.

Do the export, see where things get saved, how much time it takes, how to move them to the computer,…

Once you’ve done that, you’ll have a clearer comprehension of how things work for when you’ll need to make something “seriously” and not risk to lose something you care of

Answers

• LostInFoundation
    edited August 2023
    Options

No, it should not be the case.

When you export, audio files will be created for your whole project, your groups or your sounds (depending on what you have selected).

This audio files should be saved to the SD card inside M+ and later you can put the SD in the computer or plug the M+ to the computer to have access to the SD card inserted.

You don’t need to have M+ plugged in the computer in order to export the audio.

What I suspect is there was a problem during your export, or you thought it would take shorter than what it takes and didn’t wait enough time (I don’t know how much you waited). If you export a very complex project with a lot of groups and sounds and you chose to export a stem for every single sound and for the duration of a long song, it could take a while, since all the stems to be exported will be numerous.

• RogiWanKenobi
    Options

@LostInFoundation

Hello there, nice to meet you again. And thanks for your Answer.

So, just to be clear on my side: the reason for the hang-up was not that ii was not connected to my MAC?

Concerning the related Project: it was just the demo, which had been modified a bit by myself.

(Since I am just starting with my Machine+)

That's the one which is related here. So, do you think the demo will be that complex that it could not be exported in around 2min?

So, are there some hints-and-tricks to recover it afterwards/after this kind of accident I experienced?

Thanks for u'r response.

Regards,

Roger

• LostInFoundation
    Options

No, being not connected to the Mac is not the culprit. As said, exporting saves on the SD and later you move the exported audio to the computer.

Not knowing what demo you are talking about I can’t be sure. But…yes…an export of all the sounds of a full song of e.g. 4+ min which includes many elements could take more than 2 min.

Think of it in this way: if the demo has 4 groups of 16 sounds (all used) plus various instruments, what it must export at the sound level is 64 tracks of 4+ min for each sound of the groups plus other tracks of 4+ min for every single instrument used. Probably this is an extreme example, but you can get that it could take time (in every case could be more than 2 min… did you really lost your patience in 2 min? You are quite impatient my friend ☺️)

About recovering…I don’t know what to tell you. The demo should in any case not have been touched…maybe your modified version…but after a file gets corrupted by suddenly interrupting the power, I don’t know if it will be recoverable

In any case the suggestion is to save something before making anything “drastic”, like an export could be

• RogiWanKenobi
    Options

@LostInFoundation

hmm, impatient; I personally would not call it impatient at this point; I would call it unexperienced.

;-)

Actually, since I am trying to educate myself much more in this matter, you are right. At some point I am impatient.

But your explanation/calculation makes sense, I did not expect it that expansive.

Concerning restoration: yes, it seems to be lost. So, in the future much more concentration to know what I do, and much more patience. Could be a receipt for live.

Thanks again.

Regards,

Rog

• LostInFoundation
    Options

You’re welcome

Another suggestion could be to test things just for the matter of … testing them.

Like for this case: do a very simple project, maybe just a couple of groups with few sounds. Just to try how export works, not making a complete song that you are even interested in keeping.

Do the export, see where things get saved, how much time it takes, how to move them to the computer,…

Once you’ve done that, you’ll have a clearer comprehension of how things work for when you’ll need to make something “seriously” and not risk to lose something you care of

• RogiWanKenobi
    Options

Hi

well,

yes, testing is the thing I actually do. Thats why I try all things with the demo which is available after resetting and registering my mashine.

but sure, your hint, sorrowful followed, will give me a feeling on how, and also how long the export will take.

Thanks very much again.

Regards

Roger