Maschine plus visual metronome

Options
King swen
King swen Member Posts: 34 Member
edited August 2023 in Maschine

I wish there was an option to enable visual metronome markers so I didn't have to always have headphones to cue.

Best Answer

• ozon
    ozon Member Posts: 1,357 Expert
    Answer ✓
    Options

Never tried that, but you could try use a Pad without Sound which just sends out MIDI notes, without working MIDI routing (e.g. to an unused port). You could also use a proper click sound or metronome sample, and route the Audio to a different output (maybe CUE would work). That way, you could actually have an audio metronome as well, if desired or necessary.

You could put your metronome Pads with click Pattern in a separate Group. Save that Group, and import it to your Projects.

Or you can use some additional device hooked up via MIDI or Ableton Link as @LostInFoundation suggested.

Answers

• LostInFoundation
    LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,306 Expert
    Options

Normally I would tell you to tag your thread as Feature Request…but being it almost useless in general with NI, with Maschine+ I’m afraid it is practically as wasting your time…

• King swen
    Options

Meh, did anyway. I just think it would be really helpful. I haven't seen an option. I use bone conduction headphones but they have to be wired and the shokz ones that are wired are discontinued. So I'm left with cheap Chinese knock offs to replace when they go bad. Plus so many headphones are going bluetooth these days.

• darkwaves
    darkwaves Member Posts: 342 Guru
    Options

I don't know enough coding to actually make it, but an app could make a good solution for this issue. Sync to midi clock or even ableton link and have the screen blink instead of (or in addition to) making sound. Now stick it on a tripod and tada.

• LostInFoundation
    edited August 2023
    Options

That’s a good idea.

There are many. A good one with flashing and Ableton Link is The Metronome by Soundbrenner. And it’s free.

And in case in future you want to expand the experience, they make a wearable vibration metronome

• ozon
    Options

The Pads blink. Why is that not sufficient?

• King swen
    edited August 2023
    Options

The pads blink if there's something that is recorded onto that pad. I'm using the maschine for live performance. So I set up the structure of each song but it's blank. Then I record each scene live. No visual cue that I have found when starting from a blank template. I guess it could be possible to load a pad with no sound. Might have to sample a short recording with the mic volume all the way down. Then I could record the tempo with my starting scene and quantize. Change the color of the pad and bingo. I think that might be the answer. Just have to see if I'm able to sample silence. I'll play around with that tonight. If that works I could do that with two pads and have one just trigger with the first downbeat. Alot of work but would be worth it getting rid of headphones. Just add an extra measure at the start and there's the count in.

• LostInFoundation
    edited August 2023
    Options

I know it won’t be precise enough, but just as a visual representation also the touch strip can be an indicator of the position in the pattern

This plus the idea of a phone with an app blinking with Ableton link sync will give you a really good visual feedback. And you don’t have to occupy pads and set them up in advance

• ozon
    Answer ✓
    Options

Never tried that, but you could try use a Pad without Sound which just sends out MIDI notes, without working MIDI routing (e.g. to an unused port). You could also use a proper click sound or metronome sample, and route the Audio to a different output (maybe CUE would work). That way, you could actually have an audio metronome as well, if desired or necessary.

You could put your metronome Pads with click Pattern in a separate Group. Save that Group, and import it to your Projects.

Or you can use some additional device hooked up via MIDI or Ableton Link as @LostInFoundation suggested.

• LostInFoundation
    Options

The problem with setting up a Group only for this is that you will see the pads blinking only when in this group. To be able to use it while playing, this set up should be done for every single group you use. And it won’t work as soon as you need to use keyboard or chord modes. Unless the blinking of the Group button is enough (but it won’t tell you which one is the first beat…for this you’ll have to use 2 groups: one for first beat and one for 2 3 4)

• ozon
    Options

This solution is probably very reliable and easy to set up, but seems quite pricey:

• Isotoxin
    Isotoxin Member Posts: 125 Helper
    edited August 2023
    Options

Last weekend at the jam session we have finally decided - we need not only metronome, but a phrase meters too. Because I'm always thinking about 1/4 bars (i'm bedroom DJ), but my friends have longer phrases in mind. Because of this phrasing issues, our final audio results always sounds as some sort of annoying, non stop jazz fusion. 🤣

At first we have tried to use 8x8 grid launchpad as a sequencer to see the longer bars/phrases (cheapest launchpad can be bought for up to 50€). But I have finally decided to buy external, portable monitor and use it to show a simple sequencer from unused Ableton Live Lite session linked with other applications via Ableton link. Something like this.

• tetsuneko
    tetsuneko Member Posts: 610 Guru
    Options

We need a strobe light with a MIDI Clock input!