Guitar Rig 5 - Midi Learn in Looper component - Maschine

Options
Wouter De Muynck
Wouter De Muynck Member Posts: 217 Pro
edited August 2023 in Guitar Rig & FX

Hello,

To be able to use the looper from Guitar Rig 5 together with Guitar Rig 6, I had the idea to combine both Guitar Rig versions as serial effects in Maschine. I added Guitar Rig 6 MFX (Audio Unit) and Guitar Rig 5 MFX (Audio Unit) to achieve this. (Be sure to downgrade Native Access to version 3.2.2, otherwise Guitar Rig 5 launches in demo mode). In Guitar Rig 5 (stand-alone mode) I created a preset with only the looper as a component and via Midi Learn I was able to assign MIDI control changes to Start/Overdub and Stop (in the same MIDI channel as GR6, but non-overlapping CC numbers. So far so good... but when I launch the GR5 looper preset in Maschine the looper isn't responding to the MIDI parameters, so I'm back to where I was 😔. Did anyone experience this or does anyone have a work-around.... I really need to get the looper working.

Thanks,

Wouter

Best Answer

Answers

• Uwe303
    Uwe303 Moderator Posts: 3,095 mod
    Options

Hello,

have you tried to load both on different pads/slots and chain them together, set if course the same midi input on both pads/slots. As far as I remember midi is only send to the first device in the instrument/FX chain in a pad/slot. Only internal midi control works on all stuff.

• Wouter De Muynck
    Options

Hello @Uwe303 , thanks for the very useful tip! When I removed the Guitar Rig 6 MFX effect which shifted the Guitar Rig 5 MFX version to the top, the looper wasn't responding to the MIDI messages I saved within the preset, but when I pushed on MIDI Learn it worked.

I'm not sure what you mean exactly in regards to chaining the pads/slots, but I'm going to see if I can add the Guitar Rig 5 MFX to the master channel.

Thanks again!

Wouter

• Wouter De Muynck
    edited August 2023
    Options

@Uwe303 , I found it! On the first slot I added Guitar Rig 6 MFX as a plug-in and selected the corresponding interface of my sound card as input-source. As output source I specified the second sound slot where I already added the Guitar Rig 5 MFX as a plug-in. The output for the 2nd slot is Group (default)... Finally I found a way to combine GR6 with the GR5-looper...

@Gandi , @wilcs , @ryu23 , @Silica Gel , @PaulCan , @malhotga , I wanted to share this with you as you were also hoping for the looper return to GR6. In case you are a Maschine user, this scenario works. I was hoping MIDI sync would be working in GR5 MFX, but unfortunately that's not the case (it is in GR6 MFX). It would be very helpful if all time-based effects were in sync in Maschine, also with the other synthesizers, ... I'm going to test if I can send synth output to the looper, would be nice!

The conclusion is of course to bring back our beloved looper, but I needed a solution as I have a gig coming up which requires loops and I didn't want to buy an external loop-station.

• LostInFoundation
    LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,306 Expert
    Options

Good infos…but…if you just need a looper, why not using Maschine directly instead of GR5 inside of Maschine?

• Wouter De Muynck
    edited August 2023
    Options

@LostInFoundation , good remark, but I need to layer multi bass lines/sounds and all the controls/functions are just there in the GR5 looper. I also use my MIDI footcontroller to facilitate this.

• LostInFoundation
    Options

I think probably more controls/functions would be available in Maschine (being GR looper very basic), but I do understand it’s also a question of something you already know how to use 👍🏼.

Another suggestion just for the future: since you hinted also to “buy an external loop-station”…have a look also at the software side of loop stations: nowadays they probably give even more functions/flexibility than hardware ones and for a fraction of the price (one over all: if you own an iPad or an iPhone, Loopy Pro. A really wonderful peace of software

• Wouter De Muynck
    edited August 2023
    Options

Totaly true @LostInFoundation 😁 I'm indeed used to the GR5 looper (It does the job, but I'm not going to whine about it again 😊) Thanks for the tip, I will for sure have a look at it! I also came across this software looper: https://www.audiodamage.com/products/ad049-enso. It would be nice if GR6 would allow the integration of VST plug-ins, in that case users can add whatever they want in Guitar Rig 7 😁

• LostInFoundation
    Options

Enso is fantastic, but more for experimental things.

About adding anything users want…as you’ve seen it can already be done now…it’s enough to open GR inside another program and route its audio to any looper they want

• Wouter De Muynck
    Options

You're absolutely right! I was indeed able to route the sound from Straylight to the GR5 looper to creat nice drone sounds to play over. I'm really excited about the VST version of LoopyPro, looking good!

The only thing I'm struggling with at the moment is that only 1 sound/pad is active in Maschine, I can't seem to use 1 sound in parallel with the looper. From the moment the looper pad is active, my midi events aren't processed anymore by the pad which has GR6 attached to it.

• LostInFoundation
    Options

In facts…I’m on Loopy Pro since early beta test and one of the things I’m less excited is exactly desktop version ☺️

I don’t understand why people want to give up to have 10 fingers to use it to go back to the 1 point input of a mouse…it will limit it so much..

• Uwe303
    Uwe303 Moderator Posts: 3,095 mod
    Answer ✓
    Options

Exactly that's what I have meant - hope you can use it now as you need it and have some great fun.

• Wouter De Muynck
    Options

I need of foot-compatible option 😁, but I get your point.

• LostInFoundation
    Options

You can add a foot midi controller to an iPad as you can on a computer…but still have 10 fingers for, e.g., raise 10 faders for volumes…instead of 1 mouse arrow…☺️

• Wouter De Muynck
    Options

@LostInFoundation haha, you're officialy an iPreacher! 😁

• Wouter De Muynck
    Options

Regarding the controller only addressing 1 sound in Maschine (which was blocking the possibility to control both plug-ins simultaneously), look into the MIDI input settings for the entire group in Machine. In that case you can use the same MIDI controller to control the macro's of GR6 and the looper of GR5. My MIDI controller also has the possibility to send midi note on messages which I use to trigger Straylight and I use the same expression pedals (on different MIDI channels) to control the X/Y pads, or whatever synth I want to use.... finally made some progress and I got my looper functioning again, BUT I'm still hoping the GR-team returns the banned functionality to GR6, so the looper is BPM synced to Maschine and other time-based effects.