The Plus isn't loading projects from my new computer.

starsmoke
starsmoke Member Posts: 4 Member
edited March 2022 in Maschine

Hi, I've been using the Plus for about a year, and before that the Studio for many. Occasionally I'll want to work on an old project so I'll move it to the Plus, done this many many time's with my last computer, a Macbook.

Well I just got a new Windows machine, and now when I try to to this, I'm getting a "failed to load project" message, just for the new things I try to put on. The same thing happens with groups, although oddly samples can still be transferred just fine.

My initial thought was maybe the SD card is formatted to OSX format, FAT32 or whatever... So I backed up, formatted to Windows format, put it all back and it's still not working.

Good thing I this isn't my main method of creating and I only do this if I really want to pick up an old song.

Well thanks in advance for any input!

Tagged:

Comments

• ozon
    ozon Member Posts: 1,302 Expert

You should not format the SD card with a computer OS, but directly from the System menu in Maschine+.

Anyway, if it wasn’t possible to copy Project files from s Windows computer to the M+ that would have popped up pretty often since the release of the M+.

There must be something special that happened to your Projects. Did you try to open them in the Maschine Software on Windows?

• starsmoke

Ok, good to know about that... looks like doing so did not do any damage as far as I can see so that's good.

And yeah I opened them, I had to prepare everything for the Plus environment how I like it, and save it with samples. This isn't just one specific project this is happening to either, if I go make a brand new project on the software right now, and try to put it on the Plus it will not load.

• ozon

What version is your Maschine Software and what version is installed on your Maschine+? I guess the Software is newer.

• starsmoke

Oh man good call, my software 2.14.7 (R1) since I just got the computer, and the Plus is 2.12.3 (R5)

IDK, I may just live with this for a little while, like I said getting projects off my computer is something I seldom do. There is a reason the Plus still has that version, every time we get an update I go on the forums and do a body count on malfunctioning units. Maschine isn't an extra piece of gear for me, it's the center of my process and synths, so I will not update when I see people complaining about an update causing issues...

• ozon
    edited March 2022

@starsmoke wrote:

every time we get an update I go on the forums and do a body count on malfunctioning units.

You are aware that this will always look bad, because nobody will log into a forum and start a thread about how well the update worked.

so I will not update when I see people complaining about an update causing issues...

I did every update, and my M+ improved every time. But it’s up to you if you prefer to stick to a version that works for you.

• starsmoke

You are completely right, and regardless of what I choose, I appreciate you pointing out what the problem is. It's good to know all the updates worked for you. I guess if I really wanted to try but I'm really worried about it, I'll just back up my data and if something goes south with the new update I can just revert back to factory and replace my data, right?

• ozon

Making backup of all your personal data, like Projects, Groups, Sounds, Samples, Recordings is always a good idea. In general you want to make backups of these two folders on the SD card:

• Native Instruments/Maschine 2/
    • Native Instruments/User Content/

Regarding getting everything back to where you were: There is no way to make a backup of any of the factory content provided on Maschine+, and I don't know of a way to revert back to a previous firmware version either (I guess NI could provide a special installer if absolutely required). However, in my experience and opinion, M+ firmware updates are pretty stable and in general put the device in a better state than before, otherwise there would be an uproar of outraged users (and no, even ten people getting mad on the forum because of a failure isn't a huge number).

For me, in the current way of using the M+ as an idea scratchpad, the risk is tolerable. I'd probable think different if I was a performing artist using it as my main instrument. But then again, I'd have at least one backup unit.