Dropouts on long notes only when offline rendering in Kontakt 7/Kontakt 6

Options
inthevoid
inthevoid Member Posts: 9 Member
edited August 2023 in Kontakt

I've been having a recurring issue with offline rendering Kontakt instruments since somewhere in the Kontakt 6 cycle (still happening on K7.)

Playback and online rendering works fine, as expected, but I get dropouts on long notes when offline rendering unpredictably. Short notes seem to work fine.

I get the same issue across multiple DAWs - Logic, Cubase and Reaper. I've tried across different OSs (Win 11 & MacOS) and different SSDs. It isn't a CPU/RAM issue either - this happens on both large and tiny projects. I've noticed it mostly affects orchestral sample libraries like Cinematic Studio, Rhodope, etc.

I've also tried -

• Purged/unpurged Kontakt instruments.
  • Setting 'Offline Interpolation Quality' from Realtime to Standard.
  • Changing the amount of max voices played by the instruments.
  • Setting Kontakt's Multiprocessor Support from 12 cores to off.
  • Changing Kontakt's Instrument preload buffer size.
  • Changing my sample rate
  • Changing my buffer size.
  • Changing the 'bounce mode' in Kontakt.
  • Disabling/enabling 'anticipative FX processing' in Reaper.

Unfortunately nothing seems to have worked. If any of you have any ideas on how to fix this, I would be hugely grateful - I'm constantly wasting hours having to check through all my Kontakt stems and then re-export some of them online. Since it's such an unpredictable problem, it's really hard to avoid!

Thanks.

Best Answer

Answers

• inha
    inha Member Posts: 3 Newcomer
    edited August 2023
    Options

Also suffering from this problem. Basically it renders some of the most expensive Kontakt instruments I have purchased from Native Instruments useless. This needs to be fixed!

Happens on Cinematic instruments at least. Note dropouts and strange cuts when bouncing/rendering.

If you have Kontakt open with its internal Keyboard visible, you can see that some of the notes in your notation are not being "pressed" at all on Kontakt's keyboard, while rendering.

• inthevoid
    Options

Yep, that's exactly what I'm experiencing. Looking online it seems like quite a few people have had this issue as well! Any devs on here that can weigh in on whether this is a Kontakt or library specific issue, please do.

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,737 mod
    Options

@inthevoid Are your libraries installed on an external hard drive? What is the format of that drive? What's the OS on your mac?

• inthevoid
    edited August 2023
    Options

@Jeremy_NI Thanks for getting in touch. Yep, samples are on external SSDs formatted to APFS. OS on my mac is Ventura.

Worth mentioning I also have this problem on my PC (Win 11) which has the samples on internal NVMe drives.

• Jeremy_NI
    Options

@inthevoid I'm contacting you by email regarding this issue, my colleagues will need to have a deeper look.

• rdwilln
    rdwilln Member Posts: 1 Newcomer
    Options

@inthevoid same issue with me and it happened after i updated kontackt. what ever previous version i had worked just fine

• inthevoid
    Options

For anyone coming across this thread - I spoke with NI support via email and I'm afraid to report that this issue is on NI's radar, but there's no timeline on a fix. NI support apologised and said the following:

"The Bug is still open in our system. We are trying ti fix this issue, but as EvilDragon already mentioned in the thread, it is not so easy to narrow down the root cause and then implement the fix.

I am sorry. at the moment there is no fixed build or version listed."

[This is the VI-Control thread referred to: https://vi-control.net/community/threads/kontakt-vst3-cutting-off-long-notes-randomly-when-bouncing-to-audio.131313/]

Looks like we might have to be working around this for a while...

• inthevoid
    Options

I thought this as well, but I've tried switching between Kontakt 5, 6 and 7 and have the same problem on all of them...

• KennyGuyte
    KennyGuyte Member Posts: 1 Newcomer
    Options

Same issue for me. I was about to purchase M2 32gb RAM but notice its not cpu related. I spend over $3,000 on NI harward/software and this is the customer alignment? Smh

• inthevoid
    Answer ✓
    Options

NI have now fixed this bug in the latest update of Kontakt 7. Apologies, I should have come back to update this post!

• Jeremy_NI
    Options

@inthevoid Thanks for the update. You mean Kontakt 7.8 fixed the issue?

• Jeremy_NI
    Options

@KennyGuyte Have you installed the latest version of Kontakt 7? If you have and still experiencing issue, please give us more details, like your operating system, in which DAW this is happening and any more relevant facts that could help us see what's going on.

• inthevoid
    Options

Sorry - to be more specific, Kontakt 7.6 fixed the issue!

• stephen24
    stephen24 Member Posts: 282 Pro
    Options

Does this mean that there's a major known bug in offline processing in Kontakt 6 that no-one's going to fix?

• fluffy
    fluffy Member Posts: 59 Helper
    edited February 28
    Options

Hm, the latest version of Kontakt (7.8.1) has improved the issue but there's still issues. For example, on the various piano collection instruments, things still get cut off for notes where the sustain pedal is held down.