Ableton Cpu rocketing but all I'm doing is scrolling through the presets

Options
Stewybob
Stewybob Member Posts: 2 Newcomer

I've included my settings/spec but can't show the video as an example. Even with a black project and Kontakt 7 opened, without even playing any sounds the CPU in Ableton shoots up and beyond 300% just from clicking between presets. And even when playing notes from Playbox the CPU can go as high as 120%. The CPU in Kontakt will rise to 30-50% at its highest when playing a note. This also happens when using Duets and other instruments in Kontakt 7.

Is this something I can fix in Kontakt or Ableton?

Tagged:

Best Answer

• Sunborn
    Sunborn NKS User Library Mod Posts: 2,387 mod
    edited August 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

At first, it would be really helpful and much appreciated if you post your photos with a correct direction! ...how we suppose to read that? ..and why should anyone go into trouble to stretch his neck like that???

Back to your problem, at first, FL Studio ASIO is not an ideal solution but i understand you don't have a dedicated sound card with its own ASIO. FL Studio ASIO is supposed to be better than the ASIO4ALL driver, but still, is far from been good. I suggest to take a look at Voicemeeter or ASIO Link Pro. Their ASIO drivers are superior to Asio4All or FL Studio.

Then, we go to your Buffer size, which is 512 and normally, it's a high, but still decent value. However, Kontakt is a sampler, and a heavy one. It can "eat" a lot of computer resources. So if you want to use it together with a "cheep" ASIO driver, i suggest to rise the value to 1024 and see how it is going.

The next thing you must do, is to open Kontakt stand alone, go to Options ---> Engine and change the default values to the minimum.

• CPU Overload Protection to: Strict or Medium
    • Offline Interpolation Quality to: Standard

Apart from the above, i don't think that you could do anything else, except of buying a good sound card with its own ASIO drivers. Among other things (quality, multi in-out options, fast response etc), it will significantly reduce your CPU load too.

Good luck.

Note: And here is a question to many of our new musicians: How is it possible to invest money on complex and expensive instruments without having the basics? First thing to do, is to get a good sound device! ;-)

Answers

• Sunborn
    Sunborn NKS User Library Mod Posts: 2,387 mod
    edited August 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

At first, it would be really helpful and much appreciated if you post your photos with a correct direction! ...how we suppose to read that? ..and why should anyone go into trouble to stretch his neck like that???

Back to your problem, at first, FL Studio ASIO is not an ideal solution but i understand you don't have a dedicated sound card with its own ASIO. FL Studio ASIO is supposed to be better than the ASIO4ALL driver, but still, is far from been good. I suggest to take a look at Voicemeeter or ASIO Link Pro. Their ASIO drivers are superior to Asio4All or FL Studio.

Then, we go to your Buffer size, which is 512 and normally, it's a high, but still decent value. However, Kontakt is a sampler, and a heavy one. It can "eat" a lot of computer resources. So if you want to use it together with a "cheep" ASIO driver, i suggest to rise the value to 1024 and see how it is going.

The next thing you must do, is to open Kontakt stand alone, go to Options ---> Engine and change the default values to the minimum.

• CPU Overload Protection to: Strict or Medium
    • Offline Interpolation Quality to: Standard

Apart from the above, i don't think that you could do anything else, except of buying a good sound card with its own ASIO drivers. Among other things (quality, multi in-out options, fast response etc), it will significantly reduce your CPU load too.

Good luck.

Note: And here is a question to many of our new musicians: How is it possible to invest money on complex and expensive instruments without having the basics? First thing to do, is to get a good sound device! ;-)

• Stewybob
    Stewybob Member Posts: 2 Newcomer
    Options

Thank you so much for your detailed reply. I'll try out your suggestions later this evening so fi gers crossed. When you say "buy a good sound card with it's own ASIO driver" do you mean and audio interface?

Please forgive me is I sound incredibly inexperienced in all this. Ive been playing for just over a year but still learning the technical side of it all... I like to press a key and have fun sounds come out.

Also apologies for the orientation of the pictures.