Traktor: temperature throttling on MB Air M2?

Options
xisluke
xisluke Member Posts: 6 Member

Hi guys,

I was wondering if anyone experienced problems in terms of temperature throttling using Traktor on a MacBook Air M2. It seems that the machine performs well in general, but I've seen lots of people complain about high temperature issues at high CPU usage. I am just about to buy that machine and I wouldn't regret my HP laptop, I was also thinking about the M1 version, it's a little bit less powerfull but it could be possible to save 250 Euros.

Thank You!

Answers

• PoorFellow
    PoorFellow Moderator Posts: 2,839 mod
    Options

There is an article : Mac Tuning Tips for Audio Processing : https://support.native-instruments.com/hc/en-us/articles/210296445-Mac-Tuning-Tips-for-Audio-Processing

But of course , the more load you put on a system also in terms of wanting best/high quality , the more /higher is the load on a system !

• xisluke
    edited August 2023
    Options

Thanks PoorFellow! I know that there are some useful tips able to maintain lower CPU loads while using Traktor (I use them also on my Windows machine). My question was more related to the quite reported high temperatures that the MB Air M2 could reach due its fanless configuration, potentially bringing the system to throttling; before buying one I would like to be sure that the machine performs well. Normally I use Traktor Pro 3 in external mixing mode adopting a Traktor Audio 6, X1 MK2, Two Decks + Effects at about 256 buffer size samples.

• c0nsul
    c0nsul Member Posts: 298 Pro
    Options

I donยดt think your setup will heaven up a MB Air M2 that CPU throttling becomes a problem.

But, if you are worried about the future CPU usage: There is a "hack" where people put thermal pads on the heat sink. Or you buy a M1/2 MB Pro with fans inside.

I own a MB Pro with M1Pro and I never heard my fans starting..

• Stevan
    Stevan Traktor Mapping Mod Posts: 1,682 mod
    Options

I'd check if you are still running trough Rosetta layer. You did not state what version of Traktor do you have installed.

• xisluke
    Options

Currently I am using Traktor on Windows 10, but I am planning to buy an Air... As far as I know, the latest version of Traktor Pro 3 supports Apple Silicon CPUs without the need for Rosetta, is it true?

The Pro is out of budget at the moment ๐Ÿ˜… I know of that "hack", the big issue is related to the warranty repeal

• xisluke
    Options

Currently I'm running Traktor on Windows 10, but I'm planning to buy an Air... As far as I know the latest version of Traktor 3 supports the Apple Silicon CPUs natively, is it True?

The Pro is a little bit out of budget now ๐Ÿ˜… I know that "hack", the big issue is related to the warranty repeal

• c0nsul
    c0nsul Member Posts: 298 Pro
    Options

TP 3.9 supports Apple Silicon natively. No use for Rosetta anymore.

You could look for a refurbished M1 13" MacbookPro. But, I would recommend going for the MB Air M2. The throttling mostly occurs in hot environments (in direct sun) or with benchmark tests or extensive video renderings. If you recognise the throttling as an issue with your workflow, return it to the vendor..

• benfusion
    benfusion Member Posts: 1 Member
    Options

I have been running a M2 MacBook Air (8 core GPU, 16GB unified memory) with no problems what so ever. The only heat generated iirc was during re-analysing my whole track collection when I migrated over from previous MacBook Pro, and even then I didn't notice any cpu throttling. In my experience it has been running 3.9 with no issues! I am running S4 MK3, F1 & 1210's with DVS. Hope this helps ๐Ÿ™‚

• xisluke
    Options

Thank you for your advices dudes!

I was planning to buy the 8 GB RAM with 256 GB SSD M2, but the more I look for information, the more I'm pretty convinced that the M1 with the same configuration could be a better choice... I would be able to buy it brand new for less than 900 Euros, considering that it also performs better in terms of reading/writing operations and swapping due to the double NAND chips. I see lots of people using the M1 for DJing without problems, I'm not sure how much the M2 would be a better option... Let's see what will happen ๐Ÿ˜…

• xisluke
    Options

Thank you for your advices dudes!

I was planning to buy the M2 8GB RAM/256 GB SSD, but the more I look for information, the more I'm pretty convinced to switch to a M1 with the same configuration... I would be able to buy it with less than 900 euros, considering also its better performance in terms of SSD reading/writing operations and swapping due to the double NAND chips. The M2 is a little bit more powerfull but I see lots of people using the M1 without problems for DJing... Let's see what happens ๐Ÿ˜„