Why are all my presets marked as *read only* ?

Options
EmAge
EmAge Member Posts: 30 Member

Hello,

in Kontakt & Komplete Kontrol all files (Instruments, NKI) are marked as *read only*. Even if they are not set as *read only* in the properties.

I tried...

Running Kontakt as Admin

Loading the library from a different path

Not to cry

Any ideas on this please ?

Best regards !

Best Answer

• Sunborn
    Sunborn NKS User Library Mod Posts: 2,380 mod
    edited July 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

Your screenshot is clear, but maybe what i wrote, was not so much, so i rephrase:

• It is not important if it is a factory preset or a home-made by you.
    • The important is, where is the location of this preset!
    • If it is on a Factory folder, it is "read only", even if you made it yourself!
    • If it is on User folder it is not "ready only" and it can be edited, even if originally it was a Factory preset.
    • But, even in the User Folder, there are some limitations that you can not by-pass through any Native Instrument software. You need some extra tools and some scripting knowledge.

Anyway, bottom line is: It you want to edit anything, it has to be in your User folder!

This is at "C:\Users\-your-name-\Documents\Native Instruments\User Content".

Answers

• Sunborn
    Options

Every Factory preset is "read only", not just Kontakt. Only user presets are open for editing.

There is a workaround however:

Temporarily move the factory bank, instrument or preset you want to edit, to your User folder.

Open your application, edit them and tag them.

Close your application and move back your bank to its default place.

Open your application and re-scan that specific folder (or folders).

• EmAge
    edited July 2023
    Options

Thank you for the fast reply !

As you can see the edit button is greyed-out. I can't edit the properties in Kontakt, but I can edit the tags. Any idea why ?

In Komplete Kontrol I can edit the nki files BUT you can't edit .nkm files.

In Kontakt the BRAND Filter still says it's Native Instruments instead of Output. I tried rescan, but still ...

Thanks again, you helped me a lot already.

• Sunborn
    edited July 2023
    Options

Commercial Factory libraries are locked for such kind of editing. And it makes sense, don't you think? You can not just remove Native Instruments and add your name as library author, right? ;-)

Some other kind of editing is possible but it requires a good scripting knowledge and some tools. I am sending you 1-2 links that might give you some directions, but after that, you are on your own!

https://denivel.blogspot.com/search/label/NimBank

https://sites.google.com/view/nks-libraries/home

• EmAge
    edited July 2023
    Options

I thought my screenshots are clear. That's a custom made .nki ... nothing commercial. I created a new instrument with an audio file of mine and saved the Instrument as Test File in Kontakt. Now I want to add tags and so on. Easy task I'd think, but it's just a pain.

Thanks for the links but I'm not going to study scripting because I want to add tags to my "custom made" instruments.

• Sunborn
    edited July 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

Your screenshot is clear, but maybe what i wrote, was not so much, so i rephrase:

• It is not important if it is a factory preset or a home-made by you.
    • The important is, where is the location of this preset!
    • If it is on a Factory folder, it is "read only", even if you made it yourself!
    • If it is on User folder it is not "ready only" and it can be edited, even if originally it was a Factory preset.
    • But, even in the User Folder, there are some limitations that you can not by-pass through any Native Instrument software. You need some extra tools and some scripting knowledge.

Anyway, bottom line is: It you want to edit anything, it has to be in your User folder!

This is at "C:\Users\-your-name-\Documents\Native Instruments\User Content".