Another Maschine Studio v MK3

Options
Ojustaboo
Ojustaboo Member Posts: 198 Advisor
edited July 2023 in Maschine

Hi all

I can buy a second hand Maschine Studio for £185 or a second hand Maschine MK3 for £310.

Both from CEX as I have vouchers to spend with them.

(Not bothered about software as already own it)

The Studio will just fit in with 0.5 cm either side, the MK3 will obviously fit easily.

Only for home use and I have a Focusrite Pro 24 audio interface on my PC.

The Studio was released about 10 years ago, the MK3 approx 6 years ago.

Depending what I read, the studio is better, the MK3 is better, if you have the room the Studio is better as it has more dedicated buttons, the MK3 is better as it’s better hardware and has bigger pads, the Studio pads are more responsive than the larger MK3 ones, the MK3 is much more flexible than the Studio, The Maschine Studio is basically an MK3 with recording, sampling, Wi-Fi etc etc etc

While the MK3 is a few years old, as it’s the current model (excluding the plus), whatever NI decide to do in the next few years, I can’t see them dropping support for it. As the Studio is discontinued and 10 years old, while I know NI Maschine software still works on the MK1, who knows what the people at NI might do when (if) they release version 3 of the software.

While I can find the specifications for both, I haven’t found any technical hardware specifications (how much ram each model has etc) hence can’t do a real comparison.

I know really only I can answer this, don’t want to spend another £125 if I’m getting the same internals, on the other hand I don’t want to spend £125 less if what I buy becomes obsolete by the end of the year.

Your opinions most welcome

thanks

Best Answer

• darkwaves
    darkwaves Member Posts: 342 Guru
    edited July 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

I used the studio for years; though, to be blunt, I tend to use my keyboard and mouse a lot more if I'm using a computer. There were little things that just never made it to my muscle memory (i.e. moving motes around). I'll try for 3 seconds and then just do it with a mouse/keyboard.

I switched to M+ and was very worried about the new layout AND using it without a computer, but I found it FAR more intuitive. I used to miss the dedicated solo/mute buttons, but I got over that pretty quickly. There are still times when my brain glitches and I'm looking to press shift+pad mode to switch to keyboard mode. lol

...but honestly, the only thing I truly miss from the Studio is the little LED meter section. I never knew how often I referenced it until I no longer had it.

edit: I said "solo/mute", but meant undo/redo. That tells how much I missed them; I couldn't even remember what I was missing.

Answers

• Ojustaboo
    Ojustaboo Member Posts: 198 Advisor
    Options

Decided to buy the MK3

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,790 Expert
    Options

Too late. If not needed to move it Studio is IMHO better. Because of dedicated buttons, jog wheel and so on. I have the both Studio and MK3. At home I use only Studio, on move MK3.

I consider to replace MK3 by M+ to make myself to use that controller also at home beside Studio.

• darkwaves
    darkwaves Member Posts: 342 Guru
    edited July 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

I used the studio for years; though, to be blunt, I tend to use my keyboard and mouse a lot more if I'm using a computer. There were little things that just never made it to my muscle memory (i.e. moving motes around). I'll try for 3 seconds and then just do it with a mouse/keyboard.

I switched to M+ and was very worried about the new layout AND using it without a computer, but I found it FAR more intuitive. I used to miss the dedicated solo/mute buttons, but I got over that pretty quickly. There are still times when my brain glitches and I'm looking to press shift+pad mode to switch to keyboard mode. lol

...but honestly, the only thing I truly miss from the Studio is the little LED meter section. I never knew how often I referenced it until I no longer had it.

edit: I said "solo/mute", but meant undo/redo. That tells how much I missed them; I couldn't even remember what I was missing.

• BigPictureSound
    BigPictureSound Member Posts: 47 Member
    Options

The meter is what I really like about the jam. Rounds out the MK3 nicely.

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,790 Expert
    Options

Yes, I did not mention LED meter and volume controll. Studio has more possibilities than Jam.

I would love if NI made extension block to expand MK3 to Studio. One would have everything from the both worlds....

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,884 mod
    Options

The MK3 was probably the best choice. Not sure the Studio Pad's are more responsive, the MK3 ones are more consistent across the whole surface (ex: the corners) due to being thicker/taller.

Just to clarify to any lurkers reading this...

@Ojustaboo said:

The Maschine Studio is basically an MK3 with recording, sampling, Wi-Fi etc etc etc

I haven’t found any technical hardware specifications (how much ram each model has etc) hence can’t do a real comparison.

Nah, both have "recording" but the MK3 has an internal audio interface. None of them have "Wi-Fi" or Ram, they are just controllers... You might be confusing the Studio with a Maschine Plus.