2»

Comments

• LostInFoundation
    LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,300 Expert
    edited April 2023
    Options

@D-One

“a tablet version of Jam that could connect to the M+”

Now… THIS is a GOOD IDEA!!! (Even for normal Maschines)

But…NI doesn’t seem to like tablets…AT ALL!

Why are you a moderator here in the forum and not working for the “New And Fresh Ideas” department?

(Some years ago NI was searching exactly for workers in this field… “your job will be to only think to fresh new ideas that will later be forwarded to our engineers to validate their feasibility”. THIS would have been my DREAM JOB 😂. But…knowing NI, probably it would have been a big source of frustrations… “I have this idea”…”NO”….”And what about this other one?”…”NO”…”And…”…”NO” 😂😂😂)

• LostInFoundation
    edited April 2023
    Options

Frankly…I don’t understand this completely…

If you want to plug in a mouse…and a keyboard…and a screen…why at this point not just using a Surface with Maschine? In this way you’ll also gain more processing power, 3rd party plugins accessibility, a touch screen…and even a small set of speakers and a battery.

I always use this setup (Maschine in combination with Surface) and honestly I’m still asking myself why I bought a Maschine+….

• LostInFoundation
    Options

Ops…noticed now this was an old thread…

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,884 mod
    edited April 2023
    Options

Not sure I follow.... I don't quite the point of buying a standalone if you have to work on your midi in a daw or another tool and then export it to import back on the M+, it can work as a solution but it me it defeats the purpose of a standalone and personally would drive me crazy.

As far as priority goes for me yes, the 1998 piano roll is one of the main reasons I don't use rarely Maschine anymore... But priorities are subjective, there are several people on the "Survey" thread saying mouse workflow should not be worked on or be a priority... 🤷‍♂️ https://community.native-instruments.com/discussion/8411/survey-tell-us-what-you-think-about-maschine

Most of the requests for Piano Roll improvements are directly tied to mouse.

• LostInFoundation
    Options

That’s exactly what I was saying: using Maschine+ DOESN’T allow for this workflow (which I eventually use when I use Maschine software: drag the produced midi to a more capable piano roll and then import it back to Maschine SOFTWARE), and that’s why now Maschine+ could benefit of an internal more elaborated piano roll.

I think you misunderstood what I was trying to say 😉

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,884 mod
    edited April 2023
    Options

@LostInFoundation

Why are you a moderator here in the forum and not working for the “New And Fresh Ideas” department?

Sorry I missed this post.

Well, because NI higher-ups do not value my opinion no matter how much I know about the product or informed I am, just like they don't care about anyone else's, that's some brutal truth you're not gonna ever see another moderator saying, I'm sort of a rebel I guess....

I do test nearly every Maschine HW before release, they do value my feedback in that sense, some of my suggestions got implemented but only if they are about a product that is about to be released really soon and on features that they want to work on. For example, I ranted over and over about the M+ poor file-management, which was ignored, and on release, it was one of the main complaints, then they fixed it a bit... it could have been avoided.

Oh, Ok. I misunderstood, sorry... To be honest I don't like that solution either because at that point I rather stay in whatever software has the better piano roll since i'd would also have to load whatever instrument is in MAschine while I edit the MIDI, that's a lot of work and breaks the workflow. A piano roll to me is an essential core feature of any music-making sw and it's only excusable to be basic in standalones since you limited controls. For example, OP asked for more zoom, more zoom only makes sense in the SW since the HW has tiny screens. But your POV is totally valid as well.

• LostInFoundation
    Options

@D-One

We Rastafarians we LOVE rebels 😉

• 1neflame
    1neflame Member Posts: 10 Member
    Options

Yes, Maschines pino roll needs to be like this.

Simple, easy and a creative way to freedom.

• Cretin Dilettante
    Cretin Dilettante Member Posts: 129 Advisor
    Options

I'd want to use Maschine standalone with a Mouse, keyboard, and external monitor because every piece of technology we use today is a computer anyway and "why not just have a standalone music computer?". It's like hooking up your laptop and controllers up on your bed, except there's no temptation of checking your email. You get the full range of keyboard shortcuts, can name/rename files and projects easily, and don't have to fiddle with knobs in piano roll view.

• LostInFoundation
    edited April 2023
    Options

Ah ok…got it now… it’s because of distractions.

What I usually do when I use Maschine with a Surface is turning off the connection. In this way I’m not tempted by the internet or distracted by notifications but I still have the full processing power of a computer and the plugins access.

And it is quite handy to have the computer battery (no need to plug anything into walls), the albeit small speakers and a touch screen (even if Maschine software isn’t too touch friendly…but Daws like Studio One or Bitwig are a pleasure to use with a touch screen)

And if you also own a Surface Dial, it is quite satisfying to touch a parameter of any plugin/application and having a biiiig knob to adjust it (automations heaven 😍)

• Kriscruiz
    Kriscruiz Member Posts: 3 Member
    Options

Totally agree, if Maschine had a way to emulate the fluidity and intuitiveness of the FL studio piano roll they would be nearly perfect. The current piano roll is almost useless. Very clunky and inhibits the flow of creativity. Also very limiting in your ability to manipulate midi info. Other than that, I love my mk3.

• LostInFoundation
    Options

Check these threads…NI is at least THINKING about all the stuffs that could improve Maschine (included piano roll)