what laptop should I buy? (for Traktor z1

Options
jjvigna
jjvigna Member Posts: 2 Newcomer

Hi everyone!

I'm about to buy a Traktor z1 mixer, so I have to buy a new laptop.

The thing is, right now my budget is tight, so I have to look for a computer of 500 € / USD

Said that, I would like to read opinions from z1 users, or anyone who's keen on computer's stuff, to tell me what processor, what size of ram, etc y should I choose, tlao I can use the mixer and not having any technical problem

Thanks!!!

Tagged:

Best Answer

• zephry
    zephry Member Posts: 592 Pro
    Answer ✓
    Options

Newegg has many pricepoints in the refurbished section.

You could chat or probably call and get some information.

Newegg.com and then select refurbished under the laptop section. I have bought quite a few parts over the years and had no issues.

Answers

• Patch
    Patch Member Posts: 244 Pro
    Options

The fastest processor, and the most ram you can get for $500.

And that’s it.

The main option is whether you go used or new. You could get a really good used machine for $500. Do a fresh install of the OS, get it internally serviced, and you’re good to go.

• jjvigna
    jjvigna Member Posts: 2 Newcomer
    Options

I'm a bit "scared" about buying used products. I don't know. Maybe it's silly, but as I don't know much about computers, I think I'll go for a new one

• PoorFellow
    PoorFellow Moderator Posts: 3,338 mod
    edited June 2023
    Options

Where I live (in Europe) I simply would almost never by a used computer , especially not a laptop, since they are always either over-prized or have some problem (but things could very well be a lot different in the USA , I don't know)...

I am not a z1 user , sorry about that, but also , at least in Europe you will not get a Laptop with a 'fast processor', and a lot of RAM for $500. If one wants that then one have to spend a minimum of 700-800 EUR and then also wait for a sale with a high discount. But generally speaking then to save money then you could go for a Laptop with a smaller screen (just be sure that it's not too small for your eyesight and at least 1280 x 800 screen resolution) and while you can save money by also accepting a mechanical system drive then that is not really advisable , you will want NVME attached SSD drive for system at least.. (if PC have a mechanical HD it may not have an NVME slot and you may be left with only option for an upgrade to SATA SSD) Also , most often , the cheaper models have less RAM. RAM however can be upgraded later (check specs for RAM type and max capability and if room for for more RAM or if it have to be swapped to upgrade and if Laptop have bottom lids for upgrading and HD swap , a lot of Laptops do not have , and you would like there to at least easy access for RAM and HD swap unless you get it all when you buy and do not plan on doing any simple repairs later like replacing hard drive). CPU however can not be swapped so you would want that to be powerful enough from the start. Same goes for GPU where you will have to decide upfront what you want to use Laptop for. For using with N.I. software my best guess is that it doesn't matter if it is only on-board graphics...

What is a fast CPU , well that depends , I'd say minimum Intel i5 or best i7 for reasonable performance... Some not only prefer AMD CPU they simply swear by them and if you want that then ask someone for what is AMD equivalent.... And 16GB RAM is a lot better than only 8GB , which you ought to consider a bare minimum these days ! Sorry for the only general guidance...

For e.g. TRAKTOR PRO 3 , then for Windows it says requirements :

Intel Core i5 or equivalent CPU, 4 GB RAM

Monitor with 1280 x 800 screen resolution,

Graphics hardware support for OpenGL 2.1 or higher

(Don't know if this applies but will list anyway !) For KOMPLETE 14 STANDARD SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS :

Intel Core i5 or equivalent CPU, or Apple Silicon (using Rosetta 2), 4 GB RAM (6 GB recommended)

Graphics hardware support for OpenGL 2.1 or higher, and Direct 3D 11.1 or higher

MASSIVE X requires an AVX compatible CPU.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Vector_Extensions

• zephry
    zephry Member Posts: 592 Pro
    Answer ✓
    Options

Newegg has many pricepoints in the refurbished section.

You could chat or probably call and get some information.

Newegg.com and then select refurbished under the laptop section. I have bought quite a few parts over the years and had no issues.

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,807 Expert
    Options

I am satisfied with Microsoft Surface 7 Pro. I have i5 model, 16 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD. It is passively cooled. And it is sort of like iPad. It is Windows "tablet" with optional detachable keyboard and pen.

It works fine with Traktor. I guess 8 GB would do.

Surfaces are rather expensive, but you may buy used ones (almost new) for about 500 EUR, even cheaper. Including keyboard and pen.

It is lightweight and it is just more joyfull and natural to prepare playlist sitting in chair and moving tracks using pen, than to sit at the desk and use mouse.

A bought three Surfaces seconhand and no problem.

• Patch
    Patch Member Posts: 244 Pro
    Options

I’m in The U.K. and have bought a used HP Envy that has kicked ass running Traktor 3 using DVS.

I paid £360’ish. Bargain. i7, 8GB RAM (but I upgraded to 16GB).