New Heavyocity software - can't Locate .nicnt

Bobby Rothschild
Bobby Rothschild Member Posts: 36 Member

I just purchased the Master Session Ethnic Drums. My order HY# is: 331473. I have properly installed the software and proceeded to work with it in Native Instruments Native Access. When I attempt to finish the Install I get the error message “Path is invalid"

The software needs me to Choose a Location, which I have done.

I can locate the .nicnt file in Finder. When in Finder, the .nicnt file is not grayed out.

The .nicnt file will not show as active when I attempt to Locate the file through NI Access, it remains grayed out.

This leaves me hung up without being able to fully install the MS Ethnic Drums files. 

To repeat: I cannot Locate the .nicnt file through Native Access Locate screen.

Best Answers

• LostInFoundation
    LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,387 Expert
    edited June 2023 Answer ✓

Usually locate asks for the folder containing the library, not a specific file.

What happens if you just select the folder?

• DunedinDragon
    DunedinDragon Member Posts: 887 Guru

This is probably the most confusing "help" page I've ever seen. First and foremost, this only relates to a product that has been normally installed already. But the common usage scenario when you get this error is when try to change the install location once your product has been authorized and is waiting to be DOWNLOADED and installed. In that case nothing here is relevant nor does it make sense.

For example, I just purchased the Valves library. Once it was authorized and showed up in my available libraries in Native Access for download I wanted to change the default location for where that library would be installed to a different location by pressing the '...' to the right of the install button and select a location of a folder I'd created for it. When I selected the folder THAT is when I got this message and was referred to the page above which is of no use at all in this scenario. Obviously I can't move the .nicnt file because it doesn't exist anywhere on my computer at that point.

I don't think I'm alone in thinking this is how I thought things would work, but that is NOT what this function is for because this ASSUMES the library has already been installed and I was accessing this from the Native Access Available tab.

The core reason this is confusing is because the workflow of this option doesn't follow typical Windows dialog conventions for selecting a folder. Your window for selecting the folder location doesn't provide the conventional capabilities for creating a new folder and then selecting it. That's the first hint that this is not going to work correctly for a newly created folder.

Adding to the confusion, these instructions don't mention a single word about the folder you're selecting which is really a parent directory folder for where the product should be installed. Nor does it mention that relationship to the default installation location specified in Native Access.

Answers

• LostInFoundation

Usually locate asks for the folder containing the library, not a specific file.

What happens if you just select the folder?

• Bobby Rothschild

Got it. The NI instructions for "Path is Invalid" are a little confusing in the sense that they emphasize the importance of getting the .nicnt file, and doesn't emphasize that the overall instrument folder is what needs to be selected.

Thanks much for your attention, LostinFoundation

• LostInFoundation

You’re welcome

• Rich_NI
    Rich_NI Customer Care Posts: 173 mod

Glad that you're all sorted!

I think it's quite clear - it does clearly state to select the folder:

However, I would be happy to hear other users feedback on this to see if indeed it is not clear enough and could be improved.

• DunedinDragon

This is probably the most confusing "help" page I've ever seen. First and foremost, this only relates to a product that has been normally installed already. But the common usage scenario when you get this error is when try to change the install location once your product has been authorized and is waiting to be DOWNLOADED and installed. In that case nothing here is relevant nor does it make sense.

For example, I just purchased the Valves library. Once it was authorized and showed up in my available libraries in Native Access for download I wanted to change the default location for where that library would be installed to a different location by pressing the '...' to the right of the install button and select a location of a folder I'd created for it. When I selected the folder THAT is when I got this message and was referred to the page above which is of no use at all in this scenario. Obviously I can't move the .nicnt file because it doesn't exist anywhere on my computer at that point.

I don't think I'm alone in thinking this is how I thought things would work, but that is NOT what this function is for because this ASSUMES the library has already been installed and I was accessing this from the Native Access Available tab.

The core reason this is confusing is because the workflow of this option doesn't follow typical Windows dialog conventions for selecting a folder. Your window for selecting the folder location doesn't provide the conventional capabilities for creating a new folder and then selecting it. That's the first hint that this is not going to work correctly for a newly created folder.

Adding to the confusion, these instructions don't mention a single word about the folder you're selecting which is really a parent directory folder for where the product should be installed. Nor does it mention that relationship to the default installation location specified in Native Access.

• Rich_NI
    Rich_NI Customer Care Posts: 173 mod

Hi @DunedinDragon

That is not how you change the installation location for a product that is not yet installed. This is done in the preferences: How to Change the Install Locations in Native Access

You then simply click "Install" next to the product.

The "Locate" function is only to be used when a product is already installed on your system and has been moved, or when you are adding a 3rd party library that has been installed outside of Native Access:

Setting Up a Third-Party KONTAKT Library

It sounds like there is a bit of general confusion here about setting installation locations vs relocating / locating libraries in Native Access. I hope this clears things up for you a bit.

• DunedinDragon

Then I would certainly think having it on the Available tab in Native Access where everyone goes to get their first downloads of a product they just purchased wouldn't be a wise place to put it if you want to avoid that confusion since it has no purpose there. Especially when the resulting error points you to that help page rather than the help page you listed. Or have a separate entry that simply allows you to temporarily change/create the content location for the installation of that particular library's contents.

• Bobby Rothschild

Thanks DunedinDragon! Your attention to the detail of this conundrum is impressive. Thanks for taking the time to parse out and fully explain the problems with the help pages.

• Keepsake
    Keepsake Member Posts: 1 Newcomer
    Installed a new 2tb SATA drive as C; drive to small for Fable Install. Followed help on "content location". Created new folder names NI Fable. Product does show not installed on in Native Access. When selecting Install is says invalid file patch. Read up on that. It wants the nicnt file for Fable. NO such file in the entire computer as mentioned by others. Can't copy file to new folder if it doesn't exist. O)ne final note. I bought Lores and Fable as a bundle. Lores installed and works. Fable doe not. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.