Timecode Vinyl ( Z2 Kontrol Issues)

Options

Hi last weekend i did a gig and the sound quality was awful coming from my gear. (very crackly)

At first i thought i needed a new stylus and/or timecode vinyl as i had my timecode vinyl in the car before playing but it was very hot and the timecode unfortunately warped in the heat.

i ordered brand new timecodes and stylus for both my turntable decks - still the same problem - very crackly sound output.

ive rebooted my computer and powered down the mixer several times, still no joy.

normal vinyl works fine.

what can i do to resolve this issue ?

as the sound quality was fine before the set, and now ive replaced stylus and using brand new timecode vinyl but sound quality is still poor (as of dj set) i'm drawing blanks, anyone got any bright ideas ?

Thanks in advance :)

Best Answer

• Owner
    Owner Member Posts: 312 Pro
    Answer ✓
    Options

Yes, DVS means Digital Vinyl System. Is your sound crackling, when you play internally in Traktor, without your DVS? e.g. load a Track to Deck A and another to Deck B. Click the play button on each deck in your software and then listen again if there is this type of crackling sound.

Do you have other things running in the background? WiFi on or off? Browser open or other background services that waste CPU resources?

It could also be your latency/buffer. Did you change the value recently? Depending on the system, something between 256 and 512 is ideal, or 10ms.

Answers

• lord-carlos
    lord-carlos Member Posts: 2,381 Expert
    Options

Ignore the DVS for now, does it play fine when just playing digital files on the same hardware?

I don't think it's a dvs problem.

• Iain Jungle Times
    Iain Jungle Times Member Posts: 5 Newcomer
    Options

what is DVS ? Digital Vinyl S.....?

And by the way you can only use normal vinyl / traktor timecode vinyl on the Z2 so i dont understand how i would play digital files on it ? (however maybe not impossible - im a bit of a techno phobe so dont really know what youre getting at !)

• Owner
    Answer ✓
    Options

Yes, DVS means Digital Vinyl System. Is your sound crackling, when you play internally in Traktor, without your DVS? e.g. load a Track to Deck A and another to Deck B. Click the play button on each deck in your software and then listen again if there is this type of crackling sound.

Do you have other things running in the background? WiFi on or off? Browser open or other background services that waste CPU resources?

It could also be your latency/buffer. Did you change the value recently? Depending on the system, something between 256 and 512 is ideal, or 10ms.

• lord-carlos
    Options

dvs = timecode vinyl

as Owner said, just load a track on a deck and press play, without the timecode vinyl.

• Iain Jungle Times
    Options

ok - thanks guys - will try this later - at work at the mo :)

• Iain Jungle Times
    Options

Loading a track into both decks, bypassing the vinyl and it worked.

Tried it with timecode - also worked (weird, why is it ok now !?) I havent had long to test for a good 30/40 mins but will do so soon.

Didn't have any background programs running or wifi on when playing my set.

looked into my latency, it was originaly on 256 = 11.7 ms , i tried 512 = 17 ms so have left it on 256. Owner recommends it should be at 10ms , is there a way to change this or is this a RAM issue ? do I need more RAM ? my laptop has total physical memory of 7.91 GB but available physical memory of 3.33 GB. MY CPU is a intel core i5.

One thing that i might suspect be an issue is that usually when at home i plug my mixer into the laptop before running the software and then letting it load up in its own time. Unfortunately at the gig i didnt have this luxury and had to load up the software on my laptop before plugging into my mixer on stage - is there an outside chance that can affect things ?

continued thanks to anyone that can wrattle this gremlin out of the system, it makes me really nervous to play out again !

• Owner
    Options

It's great that there are no problems now. Just leave the value at 256, whether 11.7 or 10ms doesn't make a big difference. Now you know it's not your settings. Whether you set up the mixer first or your laptop shouldn't make a difference either. Before you hang up, check that your mixer is recognized as an interface and how high the buffer size is set. if everything is correct there, it should work. maybe your timecode wasn't calibrated correctly or there were other problems, that your cinch cable on the turntables had a loose contact or the contact between the tonearm and the needle

• lord-carlos
    Options

I still don't think a bad timecode vinyl will results in crackling sound.

I personally have no problem even with 33 ms, but that is up to you. Setting it to 512 could help if it's a CPU problem. Worth a try if it's happens again.