Anyway to change middle c from C3 to C4?

Walnut
Walnut Member Posts: 36 Member
edited June 2023 in Maschine

Hi, I have middle c setup as C4 in Logic (the way it should be) and maschine has it setup as C3 (I just wish the universe could agree that C4 is middle C so we could move on with our lives in peace)

Best Answer

• Sunborn
    Sunborn NKS User Library Mod Posts: 2,326 mod
    Answer ✓

Ok, just to be sure, i checked the manual and though there is no global option for this, i found this info, which might help you.

Adjusting the Base Key in the Software

By default, the base key of every Sound slot is C3 (i.e. middle C in the MASCHINE convention). To change the base key of the selected pad(s) / Sound slot(s) in the software:

1. Click the Pad View button above the Sound List in the Pattern Editor to show the Pad view for the focused Group.
    2. Click the Key value and drag your mouse vertically, or double-click it, enter a new value on your computer keyboard, and press [Enter] to confirm.
    Adjusting the Base Key on Your Controller

To change the base key of the selected pad(s) / Sound slot(s) on your controller:

1. Hold the PAD MODE button to enter Pad Mode. On the right display, the key indicated for pad 1 (in the bottom left corner) is the current base key.
    2. Press Button 5 (OCT-) / 6 (OCT+) to adjust the base key by octaves, or Button 7 (SEMI-) / 8 (SEMI+) to adjust the base key by semitones. The new values are indicated for all pads on the right display.
    3. Release PAD MODE (or press it again if you pinned the mode).

Answers

• Sunborn

Having middle C setup as C4 in Logic (or anywhere else) is... illogical. Those are industry and musical standards, simply because C3 it is indeed the middle C! You can use transpose or octave pitch however.

• Walnut
    edited June 2023

actually C4 is middle C as it is the 4th octave on the piano.... Hence why people say middle c is C4.

If you play piano and read music middle C is in fact C4

• Sunborn

Yes this is truth, if we are talking about a standard 88-key piano keyboard... however Maschine is not a piano keyboard, as most electronic instruments too, which in most cases use a 5-6 octave keyboard or less. So, "technically" you are correct of course but i doubt that you can change the middle C, at least on Maschine... i never saw such option

• Sunborn
    Answer ✓

Ok, just to be sure, i checked the manual and though there is no global option for this, i found this info, which might help you.

Adjusting the Base Key in the Software

By default, the base key of every Sound slot is C3 (i.e. middle C in the MASCHINE convention). To change the base key of the selected pad(s) / Sound slot(s) in the software:

1. Click the Pad View button above the Sound List in the Pattern Editor to show the Pad view for the focused Group.
    2. Click the Key value and drag your mouse vertically, or double-click it, enter a new value on your computer keyboard, and press [Enter] to confirm.
    Adjusting the Base Key on Your Controller

To change the base key of the selected pad(s) / Sound slot(s) on your controller:

1. Hold the PAD MODE button to enter Pad Mode. On the right display, the key indicated for pad 1 (in the bottom left corner) is the current base key.
    2. Press Button 5 (OCT-) / 6 (OCT+) to adjust the base key by octaves, or Button 7 (SEMI-) / 8 (SEMI+) to adjust the base key by semitones. The new values are indicated for all pads on the right display.
    3. Release PAD MODE (or press it again if you pinned the mode).

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,881 mod
    edited June 2023

In a (traditional) piano context middle C is indeed C4, in software it's C3. - Perhaps because the software doesn't really have a physical 'middle' and music standards stick around even when they are stupid. This is an industry very resistant to change.

Maschine has tools to transpose things, @Sunborn mentioned a few, the best approach depends on what you're trying to do, whats the context? Are you using Maschine to play logic instruments via MIDI Out? Drag-dropping MIDI? Chromatic Instruments or single-note Kits for Drums/Samples/One-shots?

• Walnut

Yes I'm using the mk3 as a midi controller and triggering samples in logic👍

• Raveh
    Raveh Member Posts: 18 Member

i just want to add to the issue and i want to emphasize that there might be compatibility concerns with the 88 MIDI controller. Specifically, it is crucial to ensure that the Middle C is configured as C4 on the 88-key MIDI controller to avoid any potential issues,

Many thanks