Sustain pedal spontaneously turns off at random moments without midi off message

Options
Jonek2208
Jonek2208 Member Posts: 6 Newcomer

Hi, I use FM8 to play DX e-pianos in GigPerformer & Reaper. I noticed that sometimes, the sustain pedal happened to turn off. At first, I thought that it could be a hardware problem. Later, I noticed that when I played a layered patch, the other instruments still have sustain on, while FM8 doesn't. Then I turned on the MIDI monitor and when that bug happened there wasn't any CC 64 off message.

Tagged:

Answers

• LostInFoundation
    LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,291 Expert
    edited June 2023
    Options

How are the sustain and decay settings setup in FM8?

• Jonek2208
    Options

Everything at default - 0

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,737 mod
    Options

Is everything functional in FM8 in standalone? What keyboard do you have?

• Jonek2208
    Options

I will check it in standalone, however it's much easier to notice when I play a layered patch with midi monitor opened, because then is clear that it's not the hardware/host fault. The keyboard I use is Studiologic SL73.

• Jeremy_NI
    Options

@Jonek2208 I was asking that because on cases I had to deal with our Komplete Kontrol keyboards, this kind of issues was usually caused by a CC 64 or 65 MIDI assignment on a knob or control on the keyboard, creating some kind of conflict with the sustain pedal (CC64). I'm wondering if something similar could happen for you. Or could there be a CC 64 / sustain assignment here?

• Jonek2208
    Options

No, there is no cc64 assingments. I've even tried to remove all assingments from there, but it didn't work. In Kontakt I've never noticed such behaviour. I'm wondering if there is any kind of logs produced by FM8, cause the onlt way I managed to explain this is that fm8 is triggering midi panic somehow.

• Jeremy_NI
    Options

@Jonek2208 Alright, I'll look for existing bugs in our system and see if this has been reported before.

• Phileosophos
    Phileosophos Member Posts: 18 Member
    Options
  • Jonek2208
    Options

At a glance, I hoped these problems could be connected. However my problem is that sustain normally works and it breaks at totally random moments, just like the sustain release would be triggered.

• Jonek2208
    Options

I turned on the usage tracking, I disabled auto portamento and dynamic unison and so far no problems while using Alesis V49. When I'll be back home in a few days I'll check it with SL73.

I noticed that some changes in settings (like increasing voices count) in caused the sound engine to stop. Maybe there are some default mappings that could result in a settings change.